PDA

View Full Version : Junker 4312A.

Doc Mark
05-08-2008, 06:53 AM
Greetings, Friends,

Thought I'd share another swap meet find with you guys. This one, I got a few years ago, and it's been augmenting my poor little subwoofer, which had an Eminence 12", dual-voice coil transducer in it. The Eminence has sounded very good, but it simply can't keep up with anything really demanding, and craps out, big time, on cannon fire, and really low end movie soundtrack stuff!

A few years back, I was down in San Diego, and found a fellow that had one JBL 4312A monitor, which, overall, was in rather poor shape, for sale at a local swap meet. He was asking $30 for it, and I ended up getting it for just $20. The woofer had been smashed in and cone cracked in two places, but someone had "glued" it all back together, and I thought that the Titanium tweeter, 5" 2105, and crossovers were worth that kind of money, even if the woofer proved to be DOA!!

Imagine my surprise when I got it home, and it actually worked!! :applaud::D I have never done any serious testing on this speaker, but it's never made any extraneaous noises of any kind, and I eventually hooked it up to one channel of my subwoofer amp, to see if it could help keep the little Eminence woofer from crapping out so much, and indeed, it did that, admirably. So, I've been using it that way for about 6 months, or so. I'm still not satisfied with the overall bass in my system, but it's much better than it was before I hooked in the old 4312A. By the way, I disconnected the tweeter and 2105, just for grins, and have just been using the woofer. Maybe one day, I'll get it reconed, again, just for grins, and rebuild a cabinet for it. But, for now, it's been working well as one channel of my subwoofer system, and it will do until I can get either my dual 2235H boxes made, or that one 2242HPL box! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc