PDA

View Full Version : Questions From The New Guy

JBLCanuck
05-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Hi guys, I'm new here.
I'm a JBL Junkie. They say acknowledging your issues is the first step on the road to recovery but I'm clearly not ready to go straight. :barf:
Although new, I've had JBL's for 30 years & will never change that. I presently own 2 pair of L100t's & a pair of 4425's. I had a set of L150's when I was a youngster but even after all the hours of JBL entertainment....deep down I'm still a newbie trying to find my next fix to upgrade from here.
So....given these 3 choices...what recommendations can you offer...
L65 Jubals
L240TI's
L200's
Are these all a considerable upgrade from my previous & present?
Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

John
05-07-2008, 09:56 PM
1ST. I would take the L240 if I wanted a big refined sound.:applaud:

2ND. L200 if I wanted a big unrefined sound.:bouncy:

3RD. L65 if I want to keep the wife happy.:D

JBLCanuck
05-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the input John.
So,
Would you consider the 240's a considerable upgrade from the L100t's & the 4425's?
What's different about them from the 100T's other than the 14" woofer?
They look otherwise identical.

BMWCCA
05-08-2008, 04:41 AM
What's different about them from the 100T's other than the 14" woofer? If we all answered our own questions this well, we'd not need this incredible forum!

If you find a pair of 240s you don't want, please let me know. :applaud:

grumpy
05-08-2008, 07:35 AM
+ evolution of the crossover & tweeter...
there should be enough info referenced at this site (or at jbl.com) to
compare parts & crossover schematics.

JBLCanuck
05-08-2008, 03:01 PM
If we all answered our own questions this well, we'd not need this incredible forum!

If you find a pair of 240s you don't want, please let me know. :applaud:

PM Sent....Good luck!
Marty

Krunchy
05-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Welcome Canuck!

L200 have a good following here. Having owned the L150's I would recommend the L166's as a quick upgrade, though I dont know how they compare w/4425's, they are great speakers and are very reasonably $. Another model that is highly esteemed in this forum and rightly so is the 4313B's. I suppose if you really wanted to go for it the 4-way 43xx studio monitors are quite impressive, as are many other higher end models, budget will have a bearing on what direction you take.
The JBL candy store is a lot of fun with lots of flavors to choose from :)

Enjoy!

BMWCCA
05-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Having owned the L150's I would recommend the L166's as a quick upgradeI've never heard anyone make that claim. But maybe I misunderstood; the L166 is an upgrade from . . . what?

Krunchy
05-08-2008, 05:12 PM
I've never heard anyone make that claim. But maybe I misunderstood; the L166 is an upgrade from . . . what?

From the L150's IMO. they have more definition and tighter bass whereas the L150's bass is a bit looser, these are all technical terms of course :D
The 166's also have sharper/brighter highs, again IMO, I think they are underated and a great deal like the black towers that we like ;) ;).
Dont get me wrong I like the L150's a lot but they are big and the L166's just sounded better to me, they use the same tweet as the 4313Bs (066), its a different sound.
I like the Milleniums (L150s) with the Pioneer SX-1250 for that classic 70s sound.
I've yet to hear a JBL that I dont like (maybe the MR38s now that I know better) :blink:.

BMWCCA
05-08-2008, 05:50 PM
From the L150's IMO. they have more definition and tighter bass whereas the L150's bass is a bit looser, these are all technical terms of course :D
The 166's also have sharper/brighter highs, again IMO, I think they are underated and a great deal like the black towers that we like ;) ;).
Dont get me wrong I like the L150's a lot but they are big and the L166's just sounded better to me, they use the same tweet as the 4313Bs (066), its a different sound.Yours must not be the L150A's. Do you feel the same way about the L112s? Just checking up on you!

Krunchy
05-09-2008, 04:34 AM
You are right! they are not :( just straight L150s, like I said I like em quite a bit, I think they are a good speaker. I got em a while back for a very reasonable price and a road trip to Rhode Island :drive: none of my wanker friends wanted to take a ride....my first JBL road trip.
I know they are not as popular as the 150A's and probably for good reason :D

The Horizons are better value.

I've never heard the L112's or the L110's both seem like good speakers as well from what I've read here in the forum.
L96's are quite nice too.

L65's are cool but the prices are just nuts on them lately, I personally wouldnt even bother, I'd side with audiobeer and find a nice set of 4313B's.
There are 3 sets of L65's on the bay $699. for a beat pair to over a thousand, I wouldnt mind checking out a set but not for those prices, gotta beat the bushes and flush out that wild JBL game! :D

Its all good, and half the fun is the hunt.:)

JBLCanuck
05-09-2008, 05:39 PM
I think maybe you guys have just been spoiled over the past years finding JBL "Garage Sale Finds" or something. $1000 just doesn't seem like much to me for some of the best speakers in the world. What can you buy new for these prices?
I agree...the L300's & some of the 43.. monitors are getting up there & not obtainable for us middle class guys but $1000?
Bose Accustimas are $1000!:applaud:
I think maybe you guys just have a few too many pairs socked away
My theory is that if a ratty pair of L65's, needing new surrounds, go for $799...I'd rather pay $1500 for a pristine pair...no?

johnaec
05-09-2008, 06:50 PM
I think maybe you guys just have a few too many pairs socked away. My theory is that if a ratty pair of L65's, needing new surrounds, go for $799...I'd rather pay $1500 for a pristine pair...no?I just sold 2 excellent pairs of L65's I've had kicking around for a couple years, (new surrounds on all, and 1 grille was stained), to a somewhat local guy who said he really wanted them to finish out his stereo at a new house. Since I didn't have to deal with shipping, (right there that was worth a couple hundred/pair to me), I let the guy pick them up for $600 per pair. He made a steal, but frankly, for what I paid for them, I made even more of one. ;) Unfortunately, I think I've already seen parts from them, (I'm pretty sure it's the same guy), popping up on eBay now... :(

Anyway, the deals are out there if you make your desires known, though you may have to wait a while. And though I may have been misled by this buyer, I do prefer selling stuff for less than market value to people that really want it, as long as I do OK too...

John

SEAWOLF97
05-09-2008, 07:28 PM
the L166 is an upgrade from . . . what?

from at lleast half the consumer line..

related thread -->>>

Top Ten Affordable JBL Consumer Speakers (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=197046#post197046)

This is just my opinion...feel free to disagree.

10. L166…Ranked this last because the 066 is so hard to find or repair.

9. L96…This is the L110 done right. Greg Timbers wanted this bad and had it designed outside the normal development cycle.

8. L100…Bulletproof classic, no low freq refoam required, all the speaker most people ever need.

7. L112…The 044 makes this look better than the L100 even if it doesn’t sound any better.

6. 240Ti…I ranked this behind the L150A only because I hate the wood finish.

5. L150A…Don’t get stuck with the L150 with the 033.

4. L65…This speaker actually doesn’t sound very good but it has 077’s which alone are worth more than most entire speaker systems.

3. L220…Beatrice Foods tried to kill this speaker because it was too expensive to build. They sent a former Samsonite VP over to wack it but JBL wouldn’t budge.

2. L250/250Ti…This is suppose to be the best sounding speaker on this list but I think the workmanship on the enclosure is poor.

1. L300…Last of the consumer grade speaker with a ring radiator and a compression driver together. JBL bean counters decided we couldn’t do this anymore.

BMWCCA
05-09-2008, 08:44 PM
I suppose that works if you accept the premise of that list. But I disagree with much in it about which I'm familiar, and the assumptions made, such that even the selection of those I'm not familiar with has little credibility left.

Okay, I'll prove my ignorance by explaining some of my problems with that list:
• Anyone comparing an L100 favorably to an L112, or thinks they sound the same, is deaf or still has a stash of the good drugs from the '70s.

• I dearly love the L150A but I'd find it hard to believe that it holds a candle to the 240Ti.

• The 220 is goofy!

• The L65 is merely mediocre, so why rank it so high because of its part value?

Whatever! That's what makes the world go around or, "One man's p*ss is another man's porridge."
:screwy:

JBLCanuck
05-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Here's what I'm getting at...my L150's had damaged grills. The particle board that the metal frame attaches to was ruined & the metal frame...all the little feet were broken off. I tried fixing them but was never happy with the job. For a nice original set of grills...I'd have been dancing in the street if I had found a set for say $300....& that was 20 years ago!
I think condition makes a HUGE difference. I guess I might pay $3500 for a set of absolutely pristine L300's that looked, smelled & sounded like new.
If the cabinets had scratches or the grills were ripped, I doubt I'd pay $2000.
If they'd been refinished or altered by anyone other than JBL...I'd pas on them at $1500.
But that's just me...I may be a tad anal.
It would be like buying a Hemi roadrunner that ran good but had the wrong engine...or rusty floors. Am I reaching? :blah:

johnaec
05-10-2008, 09:56 AM
If you find a pair of 240s you don't want, please let me know. :applaud:Near San Francisco, (no affiliation). Maybe he'll ship?: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ele/675275141.html

John

speakerdave
05-10-2008, 10:52 AM
IF you would really pay $3500 for a mint pair of L300's, why don't you BIN the 4343's sitting in Texas for $3550 right now?

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-4343-4-way-Studio-Monitor-Speakers_W0QQitemZ280225868708QQihZ018QQcategoryZ4 7093QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Think fast. (the usual caveats, of course)

David

mbd7
05-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Per the seller:

<FONT size=3><EM>"When I bought these, I personally transported them from

JBLCanuck
05-10-2008, 06:42 PM
IF you would really pay $3500 for a mint pair of L300's, why don't you BIN the 4343's sitting in Texas for $3550 right now?
David

Dave....I did! :bouncy::bouncy:
More than I planned to spend....let me rephrase that...more than my wife planned on me spending, but you only live once!

speakerdave
05-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Dave....I did! :bouncy::bouncy:
More than I planned to spend....let me rephrase that...more than my wife planned on me spending, but you only live once!

Those speakers are very good sounding and very nice looking. My lady was very appreciative of the walnut veneer and grill cloths when I brought home my first pair of large format JBL monitors. Having lived for years with much less presentable speakers, she knew what some of the alternatives were. I really hope you both will be happy with the speakers, and I think that you both in fact will. And the money's recoverable whenever you choose.

David

JBLCanuck
06-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Man am I impressed! :applaud:
Going from the L100T's to these is like going from a pair of Realistic speakers to the L100T's!
I had plans of adding an active crossover, & still may but I just can't imagine the sound getting much better?
I'm powering them with 2 Adcom 565's & there is no shortage of power.
I have a McIntosh MC2500 in the other room I'll be hooking up soon but to be honest...the sound is so good from this setup that it's just not that high on my priority list...not to mention I need to hit the gym just to lift the MC2500 :D