PDA

View Full Version : Just got some 4412A

rod68111
05-05-2008, 11:16 PM
I would like to know what people think about these speakers?

All answers wellcomed.

BMWCCA
05-06-2008, 07:28 AM
I would like to know what people think about these speakers?I'm quite fond of mine. I tried them as floor-standing but the bass was over-accentuated. When raised 18"or more off the floor and oriented horizontally they appear to me to be very accurate, adding little coloration. I'm running them with a Crown PS-400 so they have about 200w/channel to work with and at loud volume (with good material to work with) they are capable of handling a lot of sound pressure without getting muddy. At softer volume the definition of individual instruments is not as good as my ancient D130 in an 030 system but then I've yet to find anything that hits that sweet spot like a D130, an underrated driver in my estimation. But then I'm not into heavy bass, coming from a lifetime of listening to an 030. I like the kick but not the throb, so I actually use some EQ to roll-off a bit of bottom and a tiny bit at the top on the 4412As compared to my other JBLs. I have run then side-by-side with my L5s and to tell you the truth, for some reason the L5s are a bit more pleasant to listen to and my L112s seem less harsh at the top end than the 4412As. Of course it's all what you're used to. I'm able to make the 4412As work well but they are primarily designed to be accurate studio monitors. If you want them to be something else you might have to play with them a bit.

Sometimes the harsh realities of the recordings are glaring with the 4412As but with a superb recording they reproduce the sound exceptionally well. Living-room speaker? I think the L5 is more "forgiving" in some cases as are the L112s. This is just my opinion related in an un-scientific and inexpert manner, but then this is all so subjective anyway. I'd say for the $200 I paid for my 4412As, shipped, they're a great buy. (I believe I paid around $900 for the pair of L112s when they were new.) I see 4412As going for up to $500 which is a lot for a JBL in an industrial cabinet with no "real" wood. Sound-wise, they are certainly the equal to or better than nearly any other JBL 12" monitor, but the vinyl veneer should give pause in considering acquiring a pair at a premium price.

Love them for what they are; accurate workhorses that will faithfully reproduce both the good and the bad in any recording. I never knew how many bad recordings existed before I got my 4412As! ;)

bone215
05-06-2008, 03:33 PM
I consider mine to be very accurate, good stuff in good stuff out. Yes, you will hear all of the mix good and bad.
I power with 100 w per channel. I wish I had the room to do 6 of them with a sub for home theater.