PDA

View Full Version : Everest DD5500, opinions

rj2077
04-30-2008, 06:32 PM
has anyone here ever heard any? how do they sound? how are they in a home enviorment? i was going through the products page, and looking at all the many speakers and saw these, very impressive looking to say the least. how would these compare to say the 4345's, or the bigger studio monitors? how would these be with tube amps? thanks for your responses.. all and any info is appreciated.

regards

Maron Horonzakz
05-01-2008, 06:44 AM
Dont buy untill you hear it first.... $60,000 is alot of money to buy blind... JBL does not provide the oppertunity to audition in local areas.;)

grumpy
05-01-2008, 06:45 AM
I think the DD55000 was the first Everest... ca. 1985-89...

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/everest.htm
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5671
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/price-lists/1970-1999-prices.htm

if you search here, there have been some owners and DIY-ers that have
posted comments (IIRC)...

Maron Horonzakz
05-01-2008, 07:05 AM
Even so JBL didnt provide enough dealers to audition that Everest... I heard it at the CES show,,,Lousy achoustics... What were they thinking?;)

rj2077
05-01-2008, 08:37 AM
i am being offered a set, within driving distance. the seller is out of town much, so arrangements will be difficult. i was told that they are in good physical shape, great operational wise. he already sold all of his electronics, so testing will be difficult as well. he guarantees them being original and fully operational. we are not talking chump change though, so, would these be an upgrade to some 4343's, 4345's or the 4450's? or should i hold till one of the mentioned become available, ( 4345, 4450 )? according to information by mr. greg timbers; these were a no holds barred type speaker.

regards

rj2077
05-01-2008, 09:10 AM
thanks for the info grumpy....... in 1986 it says everest $1000 ea.; in 87 $4900 ea. ? i tried a search but did not come up with much.

regards

grumpy
05-01-2008, 09:19 AM
I wouldn't put much faith in the $1000 figure :)

How they might integrate into your living space, and whether or not you
like their sound would be good questions for either the DD55000's or
large 43xx monitors. You should really listen to them first. I've setup all
the parts and enjoy the top end along with it's unique directivity design
in my living room, but it's not an effect that is universally praised.

rj2077
05-01-2008, 09:39 AM
grumpy, do you have some? i have a set of 4343's, they sound great in my small listening/untreated family room, 15 x 17 x 8..... i rather have the kids run around than an acoustically treated room..lol.. i am undecided, i was saving up for a pair of 4345's. i currently use 2- b 360's w/ the 4343's, mostly at low levels. i am looking for an upgrade to my 4343's.

regards

Robh3606
05-01-2008, 09:42 AM
You should not be dropping serious money on any speakers you have never heard. Bring an integratred amp and a CD player with you if you audition. The Everests will sound different from the monitors especially as you move through the room. Very different concepts at work just like the differences between the 4300 and 4400 series.

Rob:)

http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/PDF/Keele%20(1983-10%20AES%20Preprint)%20-%20Horn%20Covers%20Flat%20Rectangular%20Area.pdf

grumpy
05-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Have the parts, ...never set up the bottom end in a cabinet (E145-8), just the top
(2346 horn, 2426, 2405 drivers) and related crossover elements (used 4430 and
an electronic xover for the bottom). It's all been put away for now.

If you really like the 4343's, the 4345's might make more sense... with the Everest's
you'd likely continue to use the B380 or B460's (?) you mentioned you had.

rj2077
05-01-2008, 11:09 AM
the 4343's are good, i like them. i dont mind using the b 380 as a sub. i was wanting to have a listen to something else though. i was looking into a used set of westlakes, but none for sale. i also thought about some dunlavy sc IV a, or the sc v. i was thinking about some 4450's, but i dont think i have the real estate for those. and i do not have the time, patience, knowledge, tools, ect, ect. to build any, so THAT IS OUT OF THE QUESTION.... i will take an int. tube amp with an i-pod to have a listen. he has a pretty big house, so im sure they will sound different in my house.

regards

grumpy
05-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Do a search here on DD55000
... lots of opinions :)

rj2077
05-01-2008, 02:08 PM
thanks grumpy. i already did. mostly good. my mistake was looking up 5500, not 55000.........duhhh... i am still new to this so my models/numbers stll need correcting. seller just called me, and told me $5,500 delivered, if i was still interested...this guy is on and off of planes all the time, i will have to ask him what he does for a living...

regards

demon
05-01-2008, 02:22 PM
probably a pilot!
the everest is pretty rare isnt it?
(at least in europe it is)
in my opinion, if you want speakers like that and can afford it -go for it. they really dont get any cheaper in the future i guess...you can sell them if you find something you like better.

information:
>I HAVE NEVER HEARD THEM<

mikey

Rolf
05-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Hi.

Don't by the DD55000. You will be soooo disappointed comparing to the 4343's. The DD55000 has no low end, and if they may have a chance to play good, they need a very large room with a lot of stuff (trouble) in the room to sound 1/2 of the 4343 series.

Upgrade the 4343's with new x-overs and "go to heaven" in listening. (So I have been told, waiting for them now)

My meaning.

rj2077
05-01-2008, 02:45 PM
well, i dont think the 4343 have much bass either, that is why i run a pair of B-380's with them. they do sound great though. i have mixed feelings, i will sleep on it. one camp says " no holds barred speakers " another camp, " a disappointment ". as far as room size is concerned, i thought they were made for small to big listening areas. i know they are big, the foot print does not bother me, i also have a set of model 19's. i have talked to a person who will build a set of CC crossovers for the 4343's. how much do the westlakes go for? twin 15's w/ the wooden horn. by the way, the price is $6500, i have 5500 etched in my head for some reason.

Rolf
05-01-2008, 02:52 PM
You must be joking!, or you don't have the amp to get the bass out of the 4343's. What woofer is in them? What amp are you using? My 4343B's (woofer 2235H) is capable to fill a 300 m2 with so much bass as you want. Most times I must turn it down. People don't like so much bass.

well, i dont think the 4343 have much bass either, that is why i run a pair of B-380's with them. they do sound great though. i have mixed feelings, i will sleep on it. one camp says " no holds barred speakers " another camp, " a disappointment ". as far as room size is concerned, i thought they were made for small to big listening areas. i know they are big, the foot print does not bother me, i also have a set of model 19's. i have talked to a person who will build a set of CC crossovers for the 4343's. how much do the westlakes go for? twin 15's w/ the wooden horn. by the way, the price is $6500, i have 5500 etched in my head for some reason.

Andyoz
05-01-2008, 02:55 PM
I know I would find it hard to let a good set of DD55000's pass me by.

I still find them to be a very iconic JBL model. I have only heard them once (as a teenager at a hifi show) but they would definately get some attention. Just look at them...:)

Has the seller any photos to justify their condition. I know they still fetch a small fortune in Japan so maybe that is a long-term "fallback" position.

rj2077
05-01-2008, 03:00 PM
i am not sure of which woofer is in them. the amp i use is a Threshold satsis 500, 250 wpc. the preamp is a Threshold model SL 10, there are no level adjustments on it. only volume. i am not saying that bass is none existent, but i know that some recordings have more bass than what these speakers put out. no, i dont listen to rap. i am sure that a CC crossover would really wake them up, and free up the LF as well.

regards

Rolf
05-01-2008, 03:02 PM
I have heard them several times, and seen them more. That is the reason for my advice.

But, most people do as they wish, and I guess you do to. Sounds you have made up you mind already.

Good luck.

rj2077
05-01-2008, 03:08 PM
and that andy, may be the reason they intrigue me. i know that here in the U.S, they are scarce. but that is not chump change either, not to me any way.. so, i would like them to at least be on par or slightly better than my 4343's, and of course the chance of owning some. the seller says that he will send me pics later. when i last talked to him, he said " if not as i describe, no sale " he seems pretty straight forward, he is short versed. once again, i would prefer a vertical move not a lateral one.

regards

rj2077
05-01-2008, 03:13 PM
ROLF, if i have come across the wrong way, did not intend to... i thank you for your input: that is why i posted a question. i have only seen pictures, and NEVER heard any. right now, im only going on looks, and the fact that they are sooooooooo rare here in the U.S.

regards

Andyoz
05-01-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm surprised you havent got any feedback from the forum regards the sellers price ($6,500 was it?). I have no idea what they are worth but it sounds a bit high unless they are absolute "minters".

The only reference point I have is the 250Ti. The 1987 price for the Everest was about 2.5 times that of the 250Ti.

I think "mint" 250Ti's can still fetch $2,000 a pair in the US (I may be wrong). On that basis, $5,000 may be more reasonable but perhaps the rarity factor adds the extra $1000 or so..

Here's a pair advertised in Japan and the conversion comes out at $9,500. http://www.hifido.co.jp/KWjbl/G2/P0/A10/E/0-50/S0/C08-37508-19190-00/

Post the photos here if you can please :applaud:

rj2077
05-01-2008, 04:04 PM
if he e-mails me some, or if i buy them, i will post pics. yea, kind of hard to discuss price, none on ebay, or the like. by the way, i also have a set of l-250's as well. man, i dont know which way to go with this. had i bought the 4345's posted here earlier, i wouldnt be looking at these....... i almost bought some l-300's, read about the 4343, and went that route. with other more common models, everyone has an opinion, but these......

regards

Andyoz
05-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Just re-read the thread and you said his latest offer was $5,500. I think that is getting to be worth a punt???

The sellers description of ..."good physical shape and excellent working order" makes me think there are some cosmetics issues possibly.

If it's within reasonable driving distance, I would be over there like a shot myself. Looking at that link from Japan, it seems to show some "typical" wear and tear issues. Looks like the grilles are easily damaged. Also, at 145kg, I imagine they are hard to move about without some possible scuffing.

You sound like a JBL nut so who wouldn't want to have these in their collection (if they can afford it). Talk about the ultimate Miami Vice, retro 80's piece of design.

rj2077
05-01-2008, 04:16 PM
actually, they are for $6500, it was a typo on my part in the first thread. i saw these pics when i did a search on this forum for the dd55000. why would they be so much more expensive in japan, if they were made for that market? yea, they are huge to say the least.
i bought some jbl's before i knew how good they were. i bought most for a song. many moons ago, at pawn shops here in the U.S... as of late, i am becoming a nut. i did pay going rate far the 4343's though.
regards

Andyoz
05-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Good luck with it. Keep us posted. :)

Mr. Widget
05-01-2008, 10:23 PM
why would they be so much more expensive in japan, if they were made for that market?Maybe because all of those young Japanese audiophiles who wanted to buy them in mid to late '80s and have nostalgic memories of them can now afford them. Just a thought. :)

I see them more as a historic JBL icon and a curiosity. If I had an audio museum I would certainly want a pair, but then I would also want a pair of Bose 901s for that collection too. ;)

Widget

rj2077
05-02-2008, 05:21 AM
if one goes by all the propaganda per jbl; these, at the time were the latest and greatest.....they must have used the same propaganda as bose did. i received a call by the seller already. i let him know of my reservations.

regards

Rolf
05-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Of course the DD55000 is a collectors item of choice, but if you are planning to use them as your primary speaker for listening you will be disappointed. If I had the space I would have a lot of different JBL's, but I have not, and have to switch every time I have found something better. Now, with my 4343B's I believe when I get the new charge coupled crossovers, my quest for speakers are over.

I can't wait to hear the result of your choice.

jbl
05-02-2008, 07:31 AM
I heard a pair in 1986. Not in the greatest listening environment. One speaker was in a corner and the other in the middle of the room.
It did have that large format JBL sound.:applaud:
The asking price was $10,000 USD!!

mafuta
05-02-2008, 08:46 AM
These people are usually very critical of a fellow clubmember's system.Here they seem to have come away quite smitten.

http://aca.gr/meet08-3.htm

rj2077
05-02-2008, 08:59 PM
well, after much thought ; i am going to buy them. i will try them w/ a 300B amp i have. i will post pics once i get them. much thanx to all

regards

Andyoz
05-03-2008, 01:40 AM
Good man. I know I would porbably do the same if I was in your shoes. Did the seller ever send the photos and does he have the original packing?

rj2077
05-03-2008, 08:21 AM
he is bringing them by either today or tomorrow Sunday. i doubt, he will send pics. i never asked about original packaging though. guess i should have. i had mixed emotions about these, but i also had my reservations about the 4343's in a home enviorment; i do not have any kind of sound treatment in the room, and they sound just fine to me. i have tried many other speakers, not worthy to mention here, so why not try the everest? i Will BE GETTING RID of many speakers i currently own. my wife will have a cow..... p.s, i had to save long and hard for this expenditure(much overtime) at work. thanks to all who chimed in, appreciate your time making a comment

regards

Andyoz
05-03-2008, 11:35 AM
I think if you had "passed" on buying these you would have wondered what if... for a while. I am intrigued at you findings when you get to listen to them. They really are a rare beast.

Mr. Widget
05-03-2008, 11:45 AM
I think if you had "passed" on buying these you would have wondered what if... for a while. :yes:

...and if after a bit you decide to move on, and they are still in pristine condition they will hold their value. They will probably eventually go up in value. Most statement or top of the line products do.

Widget

grumpy
05-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Cool. I hope they exceed your expectations. :applaud:

Andyoz
05-03-2008, 11:54 AM
:yes:

...and if after a bit you decide to move on, and they are still in pristine condition they will hold their value.

Just send them to Japan (well padded crates of course)..:D

I think we should be happy that a forum member is going to keep these things in safe hands.

rj2077
05-03-2008, 06:20 PM
i have tried a few horn type speakers, altec malibus, model 19 & 14, klipsch chorus II's, i thought they sounded best with tubes. the malibus, were great; they just lack the HF detail. i hope to get that from these. i will try them with a 300B tube amp. once set up i will post pics.

regards

Andyoz
05-09-2008, 07:36 AM
Any updates yet??

rj2077
05-09-2008, 08:46 AM
NO. the seller has not returned my calls. he travels much, or he might have gotten upset when i expressed my reservations. he may have the funds to buy and try, i dont. anyway, i will let you know if i hear from him.

regards

Andyoz
05-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks. I have to say that the seller sounds like he's playing hard to get. No matter how busy he is, you'd think he could spend some time sorting out the sale of such a major item!!!

demon
05-09-2008, 10:21 AM
calling the seller on the phone is very good i think, maybe he isnt reading this thread...
;)

on the other hand, as i cleverly combined the other day the seller is probably a pilot. and beeing a pilot, he is very busy riding the skies on his silvery plane. and there are no phones on planes i heard!

well.
(just wanted to cheer you up a bit.)

mikey

(probably the pilot/seller is checking other options...:()

edit:
back in time...

Andyoz
05-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Good point----see revisions :)

rj2077
05-09-2008, 04:44 PM
from the get go, he has been rather difficult. a tad snobby. he knows what he has. like i said, when i expressed my concerns about other interests/choices in monitors, he backed off. i told him, i wanted something that was superior to my 4343's. we shall see. i will keep you posted.

regards

mbd7
05-10-2008, 06:24 AM
Your earlier statement:

"well, i dont think the 4343 have much bass either, that is why i run a pair of B-380's with them. they do sound great though".

I'm wondering if you've got these speakers wired "out of phase"… meaning that you have the "Red" terminal on the speaker wired to the "+" terminal on your amp. All vintage JBL's have Red as (-) and Black as (+) and if you hook them up in reverse, your bass will suffer badly.
Just a thought that crossed my mind while I was reading this thread.
Plus Bi-amping these beauties really makes them come alive!

rj2077
05-10-2008, 09:30 AM
thanks, but i do have red to red. i should try and reverse them, see what happens, could be wired wrong from previous owner/factory. the bass is there, i just like a bit more. the seller returned my call. says he has a set of 4350's he might want to sell as well. i asked him which would be the better choice, his comment, w/ a tube amp playing jazz/female vocals the everest. said the 4350 needed a fairly large room to breath.

regards

Titanium Dome
05-10-2008, 11:18 AM
So much of this is personal opinion, and in the end only your opinion counts if you're the one spending the $$$.

Here's my opinion, which you should evaluate with a critical mind. If DD55000s were within 250 miles of me at that price, they'd already be in my house. I would have sold other things that I love to get them, or if I needed the $$$ sooner, I would have taken a loan if need be. (Since I'm on salary, working OT doesn't help.)

I'm lucky enough to have some big spaces to put speakers like the DD55000 in, and I have the patience and tenacity to work on set up until they're right. I'd probably involve a couple of local JBL nuts to help.

Widget is right that these are iconic speakers, but they're far more than that in that they represent the finest expression of JBL science and engineering in its time. Many people don't care for the S/2600 or S/3100 sound, though I think oznob, Zilch, and I do, maybe because we actually have spent some time with them in our possession. The DD55000 is the ultimate expression and precursor of that design, with far superior cabinetry, componentry, and appearance. Plus it has better dynamism and power, due to its three-way configuration.

Yes, it can be a bit difficult to get it under control and find the right venue for it, but it's like having a Dodge Viper Venom. It looks good on the street but doesn't really have much practical value there; put it on the track and OMG!

I've heard DD55000s exactly twice. The first time they were in the wrong position in the wrong room. Forget it. The second time they were in exactly the right place in a very good room, and the only way to describe the feeling was ecstasy.

Andyoz
05-10-2008, 12:39 PM
He has the Everest and 4350's! That's the sort of neighbour I'd like. :)

rj2077
05-10-2008, 06:15 PM
you are right T-Dome. i told him about my reservations, the next day, i called him and told him to save the trip, i would go and pick them up... heard back form him yesterday. between us, my reservation is exactly this, choice between the everest and some 4345's/4350's.. i did not tell him that. RIGHT NOW, i have those funds for such an expense, i did not haggle with his asking price. once again, he is hard to get in touch with.

regards

SEAWOLF97
05-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Your earlier statement:

"well, i dont think the 4343 have much bass either, that is why i run a pair of B-380's with them. they do sound great though".

I'm wondering if you've got these speakers wired "out of phase"… meaning that you have the "Red" terminal on the speaker wired to the "+" terminal on your amp. All vintage JBL's have Red as (-) and Black as (+) and if you hook them up in reverse, your bass will suffer badly.
Just a thought that crossed my mind while I was reading this thread.
Plus Bi-amping these beauties really makes them come alive!

correct me if I'm wrong, but....

If both speakers are wired incorrectly , arent they now "in phase" ?? Isnt he phasing a relationship from 1 speaker to the other ?

hjames
05-10-2008, 08:27 PM
correct me if I'm wrong, but....

If both speakers are wired incorrectly , arent they now "in phase" ?? Isnt he phasing a relationship from 1 speaker to the other ?

INTERNAL wiring - is the woofer In-Phase with the 10" midbass or not -

That said, if you biAmp the 4343 (or 4341) 4 ways, its easy enough to flip the polarity of the 15"
On my system, I leave the B380 off for music, but fire it up (along with the center and rears) when I'm watching movies and such ...
It adds a lot of low snap and rumble for film effects

Ian Mackenzie
05-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Its seems to me if you are in the hunt for something like this you really need to know what you are looking for and not rely on the seller (trader not retailer) for recommendations. Go hear it before you lay down your money.

I mean your initial questions are are quoting such broad brush comparisons........

I would suggest considering one range to another as a step up (ie 4343- DD5500) is perhaps the wrong way of looking at it. The 4343 is a complete PITA to setup and sounds like a paper shredder in stock form once your ears climatise to other things.......?

Sadly people actually get to like what even sounds bad after a while and this is my message. Try the DD5500 and live with it long enough and you will start to understand and appreciate what it can really do. (Yes I have heard both)

The DD5500 is not a perfect system but focuses on a different set of priorities to the formula used in the classic 4 ways.

demon
05-11-2008, 02:10 AM
435o?
435o!!!

Titanium Dome
05-11-2008, 10:42 PM
The 4343 is a complete PITA to setup and sounds like a paper shredder in stock form once your ears climatise to other things.......?

I've always enjoyed my 4343. It's right behind my desk, pretty in JBL blue.

rj2077
05-14-2008, 07:58 PM
lol..... i finally got in touch w/ the seller again. i will pick these up in a couple of weeks. i will post pics when they arrive. YA- HOOOOOOO!!!!! i ahve several tube amps from 12 to 35 wpc that i will try these with. thank you all who chimed in.

regards.
by the way, i have some altecs for sale now.

demon
05-14-2008, 10:15 PM
holy shit.
im glad i live out of reach, because i dont want any altec and i know i couldnt resist.

i hope your DeeDees will be good -have fun!
mikey

rj2077
05-15-2008, 08:37 AM
i will be letting go a ton of stuff. if i dont, i may be sleeping outside w/ the DD's........lol..

regards

Andyoz
05-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Great news, hope it all goes well.

It appeared obvious to me you really wanted them all along. A "Once in a lifetime" opportunity really.

I can't see them losing value if you treat them right...

Rolf
05-16-2008, 02:32 PM
OK, your choice. I feel sorry for your choice. But, that is my opinion.

Probably worth noting.

rj2077
05-16-2008, 03:49 PM
i appreciate your opinion ROLF. you made me think it twice over..... i feel the only way to really find out , is to bite the bullet.. there were many opinions from people who heard them. i couldnt formulate one because i have NEVER heard any. i have a set of scott tube mono blocks,35 wpc that i hope make these sing. if i need a tad more bass, i still have 2- B-380's. as far as collectible, there were not that many made, so there is some value there. i will be selling a set of altec malibu, AR-9's, and other items i have. all were bought while looking for audio nirvana, i look at this purchase the same way. i am still on the hunt for some 4345's. a member may be putting some together, i have asked him to keep me in the loop when those become available, and hopefully, i will have a chance to have a listen at those too. i thought about the 4350's, these may be to big though. but, i am still kicking that idea around. i bought some yamaha 1000's, these were very nice, but WAYYY short of 4430's, 4343's, and l-250's, my opinion only. i had to have a listen, to formulate an opinion. thank you for contributing yours, it was greatly considered.

regards

Ian Mackenzie
05-16-2008, 04:12 PM
http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...bl/everest.htm (http://www.audioheritage.org/html/profiles/jbl/everest.htm)
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ead.php?t=5671 (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5671)
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...999-prices.htm (http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...999-prices.htm)

Here are some very informative references as posted by grumpy earlier.

Enjoy..

iMac

rj2077
05-16-2008, 04:17 PM
yes sir. after much consideration, and reading the info. provided here over and over; I BIT THE BULLET... thank you.

regards

grumpy
05-16-2008, 07:53 PM
That last one got cut off (pasted?):
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/reference/price-lists/1970-1999-prices.htm

Now you -know- we will want pictures and a report :D

rj2077
05-16-2008, 08:32 PM
pictures, i will be glad to post. a report, i will try... i dont know all the terminology, and i dont have trained ears. but i love to listen.

regards

rj2077
07-13-2008, 08:52 PM
WELL, THEY ARE HOME!!!!!! i will post pics tomorrow. i A/B'd them to L250, 4343's and 4430's. the EVEREST won...... in my home w/ my electronics, tube or SS. they image well, and the bass is great. this purchase was well worth it. thanx to all who chimed in.

best regards.

demon
07-14-2008, 01:58 AM
hey cool thing.
i will help you with your pictures by motivating you, look:

:useless:

and:

WE WANT PICTURES!!!

cheers,
mikey

Andyoz
07-14-2008, 01:58 AM
I was wondering what was happening...

What is the condition of the Everest's like? Will be interested to see the photos :)

Regis
07-14-2008, 07:36 AM
Pics would be awesome! Please tell us, what it's like having a pair of JBL's that are the size of your avg. home refrigerator in your living room!

rj2077
07-14-2008, 11:14 AM
my wife was not to thrilled initially....lol. she got over it once i wired them in and played her favorite cd. these things are huge to say the least, but the detail is outstanding. one thing that i really like is the speed and accuracy of the LF driver, much better than my other jbl's. when i get home, i will post pics.

regards,

Andyoz
07-14-2008, 02:42 PM
one thing that i really like is the speed and accuracy of the LF driver, much better than my other jbl's.

Yes, I have read that the choice of LF driver was to achieve speed with some sacrifice in extension. How do you find it listening to a speaker that efficient in the home. They must be at least 7-8dB more efficient than most large designs and that's a massive difference. :)

rj2077
07-14-2008, 04:39 PM
these are very fast, top to bottom. very different than any other speaker i have. these are not mushy at all. i first tried them with a tube amp and tube pre, the sound was good, the bass fast. i have these AMBER amp and pre that have seen little use in a while, so i tried them next. i wish i had the words, i now understand the term speed. i had them on all through the weekend...lol.

here are some pics

best regards,

Andyoz
07-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Wow, are they in as good a condition as the photos suggest as they look near Mint?

How much did you pay in the end?

rj2077
07-14-2008, 05:19 PM
no, they are not mint. but in great shape for their age. it took a while to come to terms with the seller and it was hard to get together, but it ended up well. i was excited when bringing them into the house, i still am. it totaled $7,200. i got a great deal. there may be better, but these are my best. thank you for your encouragement.

best regards

Titanium Dome
07-14-2008, 05:33 PM
no, they are not mint. but in great shape for their age. it took a while to come to terms with the seller and it was hard to get together, but it ended up well. i was excited when bringing them into the house, i still am. it totaled $7,200. i got a great deal. there may be better, but these are my best. thank you for your encouragement.

best regards

rj, yes there are better, but not sitting in the living room or family room of most of our houses. :no:

That's an excellent price for one of the great speakers of all time (not just JBL), and you never need to be even the slightest bit apologetic about what you have there. I like to see a man or woman step up and spend money on the best he can get. That shows commitment and control both at the same time.

I tend to be a bottom-feeder on many items, getting incredible deals for little or no outlay, but sometimes you've just gotta stand up and pay the price to get what you really desire.

Well done.

Doc Mark
07-14-2008, 05:56 PM
Hey, RJ,

As I've already told you in a PM, I, too, am very excited to see you get something so special, that is already making you very happy and fulfilled!! That's the name of the game, actually: satisfaction, happiness, and fulfillment!! Doesn't get any better than that!! So, I'm with TiDome, well done, and bravo, Sir!!! We must all remember that not all of us would choose the same speakers, like the same flavors of ice cream, drive the same cars, of prefer the same kind of Ladies!! That's what makes life so interesting, and I'm very happy for your fulfillment and satisfaction in these new speakers, RJ!!! I'm sure that, as much as I've railed on about how happy I am to be finally getting a pair of old 4333 cabinets to play with, and out of them, will cobble up my "dream speakers", there are probably a few out there who have thought, "What a moron!! Only know-nothing, hi-fi idiots like the 4333"!!! So be it!! I will be super happy with them, and in truth, that's all that counts, right??!! Thanks for sharing your wonderful treasures with us, and here's to many fantastic years of enjoying them!!! :applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud: Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Andyoz
07-14-2008, 06:27 PM
I really admire the "industrial" look they have, a design statement for sure.:applaud:

I only ever heard them as a teenager in a crappy hotel room hifi show demo. Still regret not spending more time listening but they had them cranked way too loud - I realise now that's not hard to do given the efficiency.

I assume they would sell for twice what you paid for them in Japan.

rj2077
07-14-2008, 08:13 PM
because of the angles built into them, they dont look to imposing. they are a big box without looking like one. they get loud quickly. i dont listen at loud volumes, but these can do it and crystal clear while doing it. i am going to make some changes, i will try other amps and pre's and see what works best. thank you all once again.

best regards

demon
07-15-2008, 01:02 AM
im very happy you enjoy your new monster babies.
thats very encouraging for me --thers no help, speakers have to be LAAARGE!
:applaud:
cheers,
mikey

Andyoz
07-15-2008, 02:23 AM
because of the angles built into them, they dont look to imposing.

I sometimes find it is easier to fit a really large speaker into a room than a "medium" sized speaker.

My 250Ti's don't look out of place in the 13ft x 13ft temporary room they're in. Infact some people look right past them and they become part of the room fixtures. I think the Everest designers have been very clever.

rj2077
07-15-2008, 06:13 AM
these dwarf my L-250's...lol. i have a set of altec model 19's which are also big. they lack the upper timber that the everest have, and they are not as fast either. the L-250's are my wifes favorite speakers. all is well in the household, i told my wife i would not buy any more speakers for a while.....

best regards

BMWCCA
07-15-2008, 07:02 AM
i told my wife i would not buy any more speakers for a while.....Just in case you needed future representation, I looked up the definition of a "while" in the dictionary. ;) It would seem you're committed:

relative adverb
during which : the period while the animal remains alive. :(

Regis
07-15-2008, 07:40 AM
these dwarf my L-250's...lol. i have a set of altec model 19's which are also big. they lack the upper timber that the everest have, and they are not as fast either. the L-250's are my wifes favorite speakers. all is well in the household, i told my wife i would not buy any more speakers for a while.....

best regards

Glad yours is verbal. I had to sign an agreement with my significant-other! With the DD55000's, I believe you're not that far from the top-O-the-heap as far as stunning JBL's go. Naturally, there's always something out there that's bigger, faster and yes, more expensive (much like automobiles). Wisdom Audio sells a 3,800 pound speaker system, called the 'Infinite Grande'. They only have 12" woofers, but each woofer has a 70 pound motor! I believe it sells for a million dollars and the forklift is not included.

So as Doc says earlier (in so many words), we've got to be loving what we have! I'm glad you're pleased with these big guys! I'd personally love to have a pair myself (but then again, they're big enough to hold my cold corpse after I bring them home!).

scorpio
07-16-2008, 12:30 AM
Great stuff, I've seen a pair of these in a shop in Brussels a few yrs ago, did not even dare asking for the price, however, here's the last item I hanged up in my listening room, it's in the spirit of this thread...
Cheers

Doc Mark
07-16-2008, 05:04 AM
Great stuff, I've seen a pair of these in a shop in Brussels a few yrs ago, did not even dare asking for the price, however, here's the last item I hanged up in my listening room, it's in the spirit of this thread...
Cheers

Morning, Scorpio,

WELL said, my Friend!! Couldn't agree more!! Take pleasure in the big things, take pleasure in the little things, and be thankful for those pleasures, each and every day! Take care, and God Bless! Take care, anad God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

rj2077
07-16-2008, 08:30 AM
i got home yesterday evening, and my wife was jamming out to some RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS...... i said, i thought you hated them.. she replied, IF YOU CANT BEAT THEM, JOIN THEM....... the vocals and strings sound fantastic out of these everest. we are "seriously enjoying them"

best regards

Regis
07-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Your wife has the right idea! Very cool. Sometimes, it's great just to have a good listening session with the wife, instead of the :biting::biting::biting: on TV! Glad she likes them (I sure would!):D

rj2077
07-23-2008, 07:33 AM
i have been doing some serious listening and comparing the everest to the L-250's. i like the tweeter in the 250, but overall the everest are smoother more detailed. the 250's sound to "in your face" compared to the everest. i like the 250's driven by my big tube amps, and that is the sound characteristics of the everest driven by a ss amp.

regards

Guido
07-24-2008, 02:18 AM
Those beasts are way cool :coolness:

Congratulations

vernb
09-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Hi all
I have been following this thread since the beginning. I was also offered a pair Everest DD55000 back in June, and wanted to have a listen since I had also often heard that they cannot play low frequencies at all. I travelled to the seller and had a thorough listen to them. They really did not play any deep bass at all, but I fell in love with the design and thought that perhaps a new x-over could do the trick.

After some negotiation I bought the speakers and today the moving company came with them.

The formal owner used a Denon surround preamp and an Acurus A-250 poweramp (the Acurus I knew from earlier and liked). In my room I connected them up to Pioneer Spec-1 and Spec-2 amps. They play quite well and actually do play lots of good bass down to 40hz where they roll off.
Compared to my own DIY JBLs they lack dynamics, which is a bit strange since the 2425 driver is almost identical to the 276ND in my DIY. The 150-4 bass driver is also as efficient as the 1400ND in my own. Again I suspect that the x-over could be upgraded, perhaps to a charge coupled one.
Robert in Warsaw also has Everest and has upgraded the x-over with Audio Note components, and he has told me that it made an impressive improvement.

Any thoughts for improving the Everest DD55000 here?

yours Vern

4313B
09-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Definitely cc the networks, they're worth the trouble.

rj2077
09-08-2008, 12:10 PM
i have listened to a cd recording "JAZZ AT THE PAWN SHOP" through all of my jbl speakers. the speakers that i enjoy the most are the everest. why? because the bass is very fast. i was told that i would have to pair them up to a sub, i dont hear the need to. i for one, am really enjoying these speakers!!!! congratulations on your purchase and enjoy..

best regards

vernb
09-11-2008, 02:48 PM
i have listened to a cd recording "JAZZ AT THE PAWN SHOP" through all of my jbl speakers. the speakers that i enjoy the most are the everest. why? because the bass is very fast. i was told that i would have to pair them up to a sub, i dont hear the need to. i for one, am really enjoying these speakers!!!! congratulations on your purchase and enjoy..

best regards

If the room and placement is right the Everest really don't need a sub for hifi use. Now I have played around with different amps too and the dynamics are there now, in the same way as my DIY "mini everest/S3100".
The Everest DD 55000 are superb for jazz, blues and rock. For heavy techno and home theater use I might consider a sub.