PDA

View Full Version : In the bookshelf or on the floor??

Dark Knight
04-30-2008, 04:02 PM
OK. I have a pair of JBL L36s waiting in the wings. A friend made me the JBL cross-linked speakers stands that I posted here. I pulled my 4301Bs out of the bookshelves and put them on the stands. They are tilted upwards and are angled do I am in the "sweet spot" only 4 feet (away). They sound great and seem to fill the room and image equally well as on the bookshelf. The only difference I can tell now is the that my music really penetrates through the floor much more, bothering anyone below me. This was less, though not much less, of a problem when they were in the bookshelves.

Soon, I will be taking my L36s out as I pass my current system along. I am tempted to put them in the bookshelf. They would just barely fit, filling one complete panel and be at ear height. My first priority is actually to protect them from my %$#@!! cat who will not bother them there. Second, is that they will be off the ground and my music will not go through the floor as easily.

The L36s are so big that I believe it would look rediculous in my bookshelf. Are there any other disadvantages other than looks. Or, should I get taller stands RE: the cat.

DK

Beowulf
04-30-2008, 04:10 PM
I have had some success with a commercial aerosol cat repellant . . . you can remove the grilles and spray them very lightly. I also keep a cardboard scratching block right next to my speakers -- the idea is that when contemplating what to scratch, there's always something more appealing than your speakers right there.

Of course there is no action one can take that will necessarily guarantee any particular reaction from a cat . . . but it might be worth a try.

oznob
04-30-2008, 04:20 PM
I have had some success with a commercial aerosol cat repellant . . . you can remove the grilles and spray them very lightly. I also keep a cardboard scratching block right next to my speakers -- the idea is that when contemplating what to scratch, there's always something more appealing than your speakers right there.

Of course there is no action one can take that will necessarily guarantee any particular reaction from a cat . . . but it might be worth a try.

Or, if the cat uses your speaker grills as a scrathcing post,:die:...........

Seriously, I would opt for stands over the shelves. Even though they are called "bookshelf" they really are stand mount by design.

Beowulf
05-01-2008, 08:47 AM
[quote=oznob;208606]Or, if the cat uses your speaker grills as a scrathcing post,:die:...........quote]

Nah. Don't want to hit the speakers. Plus, . . . the cat came back . . . the very next day . . .

oznob
05-01-2008, 10:24 AM
[quote=oznob;208606]Or, if the cat uses your speaker grills as a scrathcing post,:die:...........quote]

Nah. Don't want to hit the speakers. Plus, . . . the cat came back . . . the very next day . . .

They do have nine lives ya know!:p

hjames
05-01-2008, 10:36 AM
[quote=Beowulf;208665]

They do have nine lives ya know!:p

Yeah but if you Jimmy Hoffa them in concrete, the other lives won't matter :jawdrop:

(my cats are good and don't claw speakers, but if they did ...:banghead: )