PDA

View Full Version : Mismatched Pair of L65's What to do?

rlschow
04-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Hi,

Longtime lurker here. Finally figured out something to post about...

I ran out the door last Sunday evening chasing an SF Bay Area Craigslist ad for a pair of Jubals, asking price $350. Confirmed they worked, that the 077's were there, loaded them into my truck.

A more careful look, by the light of day, reveals that one is an original Jubal with 126A woofer and N65 network, and the other is an original L65A w/ 122A/N65A. How'd that happen? OK, so it wasn't a killer score, but I'm happy. Maybe somebody had 2 pairs once upon a time, and now there are 2 sets that don't belong together.

Things I'm considering:

1. Spend another hundred to have Dan at Audivex to restore the woofer surrounds and find out how they sound such as they are.

2. Try to trade (or sell, and buy) a woofer & crossover to get things matched up better.

3. Heist the 077's and use them to upgrade (using examples found in past posts from this forum) some stock L200's also recently acquired. Turn the remains over to someone local (for cheap) who wants the project parts.

4. Something else based on advice received here. Note, I enjoy fabricating.

I'm not interested in selling/shipping a bunch of individual parts. I normally wouldn't break apart a system without good reason. Since I have two orphans here, it might be warranted.

Thanks for reading,
Roger

grumpy
04-29-2008, 06:20 PM
If the 077's are OK, I'd say you did pretty well just based on their value.

The rest, and the fun of deciding what to do next is just icing on the cake.

Welcome aboard. :)

P.S., seems like someone here is always looking for one vintage or another
of L65 woofer, if you decide to part out.

Don C
04-30-2008, 11:45 AM
I'd guess that this was a mistake at the original shop that sold them. They were sold individually. That's nice when you just want to buy one, but it sometimes leads to mismatched pairs.

rlschow
04-30-2008, 02:53 PM
mistake at the original shop that sold them
Interesting... Maybe they were bought at a special clearance price.

Thanks for the replies! You're right: it is fun thinking about this. I'm leaning towards refoaming both woofers and giving them a good listen before anything else. I wish I could figure out how to switch off my "tinnitus filter".

LRBacon
04-30-2008, 03:32 PM
I wish I could figure out how to switch off my "tinnitus filter".

Hearing aids? Just wondering, since I've have some hearing loss and tinnitus.

Larry

rlschow
04-30-2008, 03:49 PM
Hi Larry,

No hearing aids, just lots of ringing all the time.

LRBacon
04-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Hi Larry,

No hearing aids, just lots of ringing all the time.

Hi rlschow,

I hear the ringing (used to be only high pitched, now it's also at another lower frequency) mostly at night when I go to bed or am in a very quiet room. It can be rather annoying. The doc I go to said there was no cure for it. :( I tried taking ginko tablets, they didn't do anything for me. I made the mistake of going to a Neil Diamond concert at the Key Arena in Seattle about 13 years ago. Came out of there with my ears ringing big time. It wasn't the music, it was the audience that got so loud. After that my ear that didn't have any hearing loss started to go down hill. I have a harder time understanding people talking in a crowd, especially the wife and she's not real understanding about it.

I'd go with refoaming the woofers and see if you can hear any difference in how they sound. If you can't hear any difference enjoy them.

Larry