PDA

View Full Version : Picked up 4425

BRH
04-24-2008, 09:16 AM
New poster. Just picked up a pair of 4425. Been sitting in a wall covered with THX material on a frame for 16 years. Foams are original and intact. Owners want 5.1 sound and these are just 2.0 ....very sad. Their loss, my gain.
Now what to do with these? sell or take home for my own 2.0 home theater?
Came with Hafler 2400 amp.... I'm assuming that's 120 watts per channel.

Very active website, and the only place for JBL apparently.

doodlebug
04-24-2008, 06:23 PM
IF those are the original foam surrounds, they're going to be gone so plan on redoing both woofers. I would not recommend you try to run them until that's been sorted out. Outside of that, you _could_ rebuild the crossovers with new caps but that's optional.

These are really nice speakers - I had a pair for quite a while.

Cheers,

David

BRH
04-25-2008, 09:26 AM
Doodlebug, thank you for the reply. I can't figure out why they still have original foam! These were put in our ADR ProTools sound room in 1991 and have remained in service until I just removed. I have been the caretaker of the room and know they are unmolested. I had another pair of 4408 about the same age and they needed new foam rings, and I did the job and they ended up sounding great.

I can only conclude that they have been in the dark, in air conditioned room and used reasonably for that time and this must contribute to still intact foam.
4408 were in storage for a couple of years, and when I removed from storage and hooked them up, that was when I noticed torn foam.

If this speakers do need new rings at some point..which you are right, they will, that is when I will replace caps in crossover. If you could point me in the right direction for which kind of caps, basic rebuild, that would be great.

4425 are now in my living room sitting next to 42 in. plasma. and I'll hook them up this weekend.

Replaced with Blue Sky 5.1 ...... go figure! "Get those old speakers out of there, they aren't High Def!"

Thanks to all in advance for helping me with this rescue.

Mr. Widget
04-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Due to their size you may want to put them on the floor, but they will sound better if you raise them a bit. Also depending on your room, taste in music, and your own personal sonic bias, you may want to keep them away from walls and out of corners.

Personally I don't think I'd mess around with the networks. I'd enjoy them as they are.

Widget

BRH
04-25-2008, 03:31 PM
Yes, not in corner and I will place on floor about a foot from wall ... thought about raising a bit with some blocks (6 inches) so not right on floor. Room size is about 20ft x 30ft. Power is Hafler PRO2400. Mixer is Ashly 802.