PDA

View Full Version : Sugden A21a intergrated

tom1040
04-23-2008, 08:00 AM
I am looking for one of these amps to power my JBL S2600 speakers that I have had. The reviews seem good.

oznob
04-23-2008, 02:28 PM
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1213210068

There is a "sale pending" on this but you could e-mail the seller just in case the deal falls through. I got a nice pair of 4301b's that way.

Good luck!

tom1040
04-24-2008, 05:09 AM
Thanks. I did that three days ago. He says he will get in touch if the buyer does not come thru. Thanks again.

Bernard Wolf
04-25-2008, 04:35 AM
I must tell you that I tried the Sugden 21a on my 3100's and was underwhelmed in spite of the British review that raved about them on the 2600... my course of action has always been that if I cannot audition before I buy I don't. Am using a Perreaux 1150B mosfet amp at present that seems just about perfect to me. I hope this does not through you off track but I thought it might help to have some feedback.

tom1040
04-25-2008, 04:57 AM
Thanks. Is your amp the PMF-1150b? If so, there is one on ebay right now. If you do not mind, can you tell me what your using as a pre-amp?
Thanks
Tom

tom1040
04-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Does anyone know of the Yamaha B-2 amp? It has a Vfet amp section. I do not no what that means but I guess, according to what I have read, that it is very musical. Do 'ya suppose it would sound good with horns?
Thanks.

tom1040
04-25-2008, 02:54 PM
I switched out my amp/pre and stuck in my mint Sansui G-8000. Oh my, what a difference. Sounds well balanced and the music seems to just flow effortlessly from the JBL's. Lots of deep bass and the mids and highs sound great. I wonder how a G-9000 would sound.....

Bernard Wolf
04-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Thanks. Is your amp the PMF-1150b? If so, there is one on ebay right now. If you do not mind, can you tell me what your using as a pre-amp?
Thanks
Tom

Yes it is the PMF1150B and I think that it sounds 'better' than my Jadis Defy DA30 6550 PP Integrated. I was using a Audio Note M2 tubed pre with really good results but somehow I stumbled upon a Kenwood KA 7300 integrated amp and am presently using the pre out from this and actually mostly prefer this to the AN as it is more extended - not a problem with the Mosfets - and the bass is much tighter and deeper. It doesn't hurt that it has 2 very quiet and fine sounding phono inputs, tape loop(s) and other switchable controls if wanted.

The Perreault is the real keeper though.. in fact I have another for back up or bi-amping.

Hope this helps.

bernard

Bernard Wolf
11-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Yes it is the PMF1150B and I think that it sounds 'better' than my Jadis Defy DA30 6550 PP Integrated. I was using a Audio Note M2 tubed pre with really good results but somehow I stumbled upon a Kenwood KA 7300 integrated amp and am presently using the pre out from this and actually mostly prefer this to the AN as it is more extended - not a problem with the Mosfets - and the bass is much tighter and deeper. It doesn't hurt that it has 2 very quiet and fine sounding phono inputs, tape loop(s) and other switchable controls if wanted.

The Perreault is the real keeper though.. in fact I have another for back up or bi-amping.

Hope this helps.

bernard

Update: For reference purposes I must mention that for the past 2 or 3 years I have gone back and stayed with my original set up. Audio Note M2 Phone pre amp and Jadis D.E.F.Y DA30 intergrated amp. The Perreault is doing service as a sub woofer amp.

Mr. Widget
11-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Update: For reference purposes I must mention that for the past 2 or 3 years I have gone back and stayed with my original set up. Audio Note M2 Phone pre amp and Jadis D.E.F.Y DA30 intergrated amp. The Perreault is doing service as a sub woofer amp.Did the Kenwood fail or did you decide that the original joy was not sustainable for some reason?

Widget

andywin
11-28-2010, 03:52 AM
Does anyone know of the Yamaha B-2 amp? It has a Vfet amp section. I do not no what that means but I guess, according to what I have read, that it is very musical. Do 'ya suppose it would sound good with horns?
Thanks.

V-Fet amps Yamaha B1 & B@ and the Sont TA-N7 are extremely accurate and revealing. I understand that the cost of making Vertical Field Effect Transistors was prohibative and they were discontinued. Spares therefore are a major issue. A work collegue had a B2 that he used with Rogers BBC speakers which he said was a good match. He later replaced these with a pair of Yamaha NS1000's and said the combo was just too revealing for it's own good and lacked warmth. He now uses the NS100's with valve amps

Bernard Wolf
01-31-2011, 10:52 AM
Did the Kenwood fail or did you decide that the original joy was not sustainable for some reason?

Widget

Not sustainable sums it up fine. I was running 2 tables at the time so that and a Mono switch made the Kenwood practical, but, I have not thought to change anything since changing back. There really is something captivating about tubes and as I now run a sub the relatively limited bass extension of the Jadis is not an issue. That being said, I certainly could live with either setup.. long as I get to keep these S3100`s :bouncy: