PDA

View Full Version : L-36 Decade Questions

shacky
04-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Just finished refoaming my new to me JBL L-36 Decades. Wow :applaud: These speakers are awesome.

Driving them with Sansui 890 DB and have them placed on 13" metal stands with spikes and blue tack. My regular speakers are a pair of refurbed AR 2AX which I love for their deep and rich bass. The L-36's surprised the heck out of me with their bass. And of course their high end is much more detailed. I have the mid and hi turned down to -3 as I'm used to the more reticent AR's.

Have to refinish the cabs as they have fairly bad water stains. Wanted to ask following:

How do you get at the attenuators to clean them? 'm assuming some Deoxit will do the trick.

The binding posts are a pain. Thinking of upgrading to 5 way. Any suggestions?

And finally - They sound awefully good as is. Is it still suggested to re-cap?

I am now a member of the JBL Appreciation Club :D

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q227/shacky1973/IMGP1985.jpg

SEAWOLF97
04-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Have to refinish the cabs as they have fairly bad water stains. Wanted to ask following:

The binding posts are a pain. Thinking of upgrading to 5 way. Any suggestions?

And finally - They sound awefully good as is. Is it still suggested to re-cap?

binding post replacement is a piece of cake...remove woofer , trace wire to old posts , 1 screw frees each of them , most likely will have to enlarge the cabinet hole a tad , poke new posts thru , reconnect wires , tighten , add woofer , never look back ...maybe 30 minutes - tops-.

b4 getting too wiggy on the veneer, try rubbing out stains with TOOTHPASTE and a rag.

if they sound good , dont mess with 'em.

pix look nice - congrats :bouncy:

Krunchy
04-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Shacky!, Seawolf's the man who started me on replacing the binding posts, it really is a piece of cake, just keep track of all the wires. As for the water stains, dont fret it, try Wolf's method, if that doesnt do it for you there are other ways to deal with those pesky little stains.
Enjoy! and post some more pictures when you are done! :)

shacky
04-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Here's a before shot of drivers. Wife's away with camera so I'll have to wait for more pics.

Lost one of the foam gasket strips. Are they available?

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q227/shacky1973/IMGP1992.jpg

bigyank
04-19-2008, 06:48 PM
You lost one of the gaskets?

Try http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=genem&Product_Code=Gasket-Seg

Yank

shacky
04-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Seawolf - thanks for the toothpaste trick. Do you know toothpaste was invented in WV? If were any place else we'd call it teethpaste :D My apologies to any WVians.

Here's a better shot of worse stain:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q227/shacky1973/IMGP1990.jpg

hardtime
04-20-2008, 07:35 PM
Yeah they do sound good even though there's just a little bass peak.
I have a pair that I bought at a church yard sale. Needed refoaming and had old spider webs and eggs hanging on therm.
I saw them sitting there and asked "How much?". I already was a JBL freak and when he said $2 I started sweating and almost broke my arm getting to my wallet. I bought new foam surrounds for $29 and they really sound sweet.
I've got a pair of L66s that I'm ready to start on now.

Audiobeer
04-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Don't play them till you get them refoamed are you'll be looking for some new woofers! :)

shacky
04-22-2008, 05:49 AM
Refoamed courtesy of Rick Cobb (loneytunes2001 on eBay) and his excellent surround kit. Rick is great to work with. His instructions are awesome, fit is perfect, and using the 30 Hz CD to align the cone is a dream come true. I plan to use this on other refoam projects.

I had bad experience removing dust cover on pair of AR 5's. Ended up cutting a wire :o: 30 Hz works like a charm and keeps original dust cover intact.

Rick was even helpful with my lost gasket piece. He found a spare for me :applaud: It's guys like Rick that make this hobby so enjoyable

Dark Knight
04-23-2008, 05:49 PM
I'd love to see some pictures. I am also curious about seeing the effects of toothpaste on stain removal.

DK