PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Pots.

JSF13
03-23-2004, 01:48 PM
On both my 4311's and 4312's the pots have become quite noisy and scratchy and cut in and out,but only when being adjusted,ie rotated.What's the best way to clean these up?Or can you?

boputnam
03-23-2004, 01:50 PM
Do a Search with a string like: "cleaning Lpads". There's quite a bit out there... :yes:

scott fitlin
03-23-2004, 02:17 PM
caig laboratories make Deoxit and Cailube for cleaning conductive plastic and carbon pots. Works well, properly used!

These products can be gotten from www.partsexpress.com and are fairly economical to buy!

If your carbon pots are really worn, beyond cleaning, then you will have to replace them. But try cleaning first.

:cool:

JSF13
03-23-2004, 02:58 PM
From what I've been able to find it seems that you can't do this from the front ie spray in behind the knobs but rather you must remove the woofers to access the pads and spray into the pots from behind?OK thanks all I'll give it a try.

scott fitlin
03-23-2004, 03:05 PM
The DeoxIT D5 is also available in a small squeeze bottle with a needle applicator, perfect for getting the cleaner into the little opening on the back of the pot, once youve removed a driver to get into the cabinet!

:cool:

boputnam
03-24-2004, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by JSF13
...you must remove the woofers to access the pads and spray into the pots from behind? :yes:

Some pots have slots in the casing, which helps the cleaning fluid gain access; others do not. The best way to clean them is to remove the Lpads altogether and open them-up. There can be quite an interesting accumulation of gunk that won't easily dissolve (and if it does, needs be removed).

andresohc
11-11-2005, 08:47 PM
I have been using pretty much all the listed cleaners plus several other industrial ones from Orvac Electronics on amplifier/preamp pots with little success. For example I am trying to clean the pot on a Crown IC150 preamp with no luck. It has a dead area at normal levels (might be worn out for all I know) Any suggestions about when they have a dead spot due to being left in the same position for years. Is there a way to fix without replacing? (like sanding maybe?)Maybe someone knows of a thread on this or another site that reviews this. I have several vintage amps to repair and dont want to reinvent the wheel here. Some of these have ganged pots, pc mounted pots, etc. Difficult to find replacement pieces.

morbo!
11-11-2005, 09:49 PM
im gonna get in trouble for this
but run out to the boot of you car
grab the wd-40 spray it in the top pot in question
while turning the knob

(bieng an aussie you gotta learn to improvise)

duaneage
11-12-2005, 08:39 AM
www.partsexpress.com (http://www.partsexpress.com) has decent pots that can be used to replace them for about 10 dollars. They have used them with great success before to restore JBL systems. Search for high power L-pads.
They have 100 and 50 watt models that are more than enough for tweeters and mids.