PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4410A Tweeter Repair

sab
04-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Hello,

I purchased a used set of 4410A's a couple of weeks ago on ebay and was surprised to find that the inside cone of the mid range came loose and pulled the connectors on the back of the tweeter right off. Also, some how the titanium dome was pushed in. The dome was easily fixed by placing my mouth over the speaker and vacuuming it out. As far as the connectors to the tweeter, I don't have a problem glueing it back on to the plastic. What I'm having a problem with is the little wires that come between the titanium dome and the cardboard backing that holds the plastic, dome and wires together. These little wires have been severed. I lifted the cardboard and I'm able to see these little suckers but they are so damn small. I'm thinking of soldering a piece of thin speaker wire to it to extend it back to the connectors. I worried that my electronic soldering gun might melt the wire and shrivel it up further back from the heat.

Is this metal resiliant to heat from an electronics soldering or am I out of luck and nothing can be done. If the wire isn't resiliant, what do you suggest I do. The wire is right at the tip of where the cardboard begins. Therefore I have at least 1/2 inch to work with.

Thank you for you help in advance.

demon
04-16-2008, 12:30 PM
hey sab!

dunno much about repairing, but if you want, you can join me in this thread:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20761
maybe this will help you out!

cheers,
mikey

johnaec
04-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Replacement diaphragms for the 052Ti tweeters used are only $38 each - that's what I'd do.

John

sab
04-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Where to get?

Thanks.

johnaec
04-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Where to get?They need to be ordered through a JBL Pro Service Center. And even though it's said they need to be professionally installed, in reality, those diaphragms are automatically aligned - I've found no way to install them incorrectly - there's simply no play at all.

How many do you need? I might be talked into selling an extra if you can't track down a dealer...

John

Robh3606
04-16-2008, 05:52 PM
You can purchase them from Orange County

http://www.speakerrepair.com/ocsdiaphragms.html

Rob:)

SMKSoundPro
04-16-2008, 06:08 PM
At $36 each, I would buy 8, just to make sure I had a couple of spares on hand!

Scotty.

ps. Man that is a cheap price! Nothing is that cheaply priced in the audio world, anymore!!!

sab
04-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Wow, that's very cheap. Thanks for your help guy's. As always, very helpful and worth a visit to this form from time to time.

Talk to you guy's later.