PDA

View Full Version : JBL BLUE REVISITED...LATEST INFO UPDATES?

RobD8870
04-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Hello to everyone and sorry for all caps in the thread title!
I have recently been lucky enough to acquired some 4313B control monitors.:applaud: I have since been hard at work getting them in respectable shape. I am in the process of oiling the cabinets......I had been looking on the forums for a match in color for the blue on the front of the cabinet. I know this is not a new topic by any stretch of the imagination but it appears that sherwin williams stopped carrying the violet pigment used in the most recent formula.:banghead: They state that they do have fuscia*not sure how to spell it* Has anyone used the formula but substituted the fuscia for the violet? I posted the formula I obtained from searching at the bottom of this post. Do I have the most up to date formula? I have searched multiple forums and someon made a post about this very issue of Sherwin WIlliams no longer carrying the violet. They were told to do a search that there was a lot of new info out there. There is nothing I see that adds to the info I already have already attained from searching the forums. I am not sure if I am better off taking the speaker down to Sherwin Williams and having them try to match it up or using the old formula with Fuscia taking violets spot on the pigment list. Please lead me in the right direction if you can.
Once I have the formula squared away I have some other questions.....Do most of you roll the blue on with a roller or do you use an air compressor and spray it on? Also, I will have to tape the walnut veneer off. How long would you wait after I have put my last coat of oil on to put tape down? Should I apply wax to the veneer prior to taping it and painting the front? or afterwards? It seems the wax would help reduce the chance of any adhesive sticking to much...but it may prevent it from sticking at all.... I dont want to mess up the finish or cause any extra cleanup. As long as I use the 3M painters tape type that pulls back up easy I should be ok....right?:blink:

HERE IS THE FORMULA I HAVE:
Martin Senour "bright life" Eggshell enamel,Neutral Base(QT)
Sherwin Williams Pigments:
Black 22/32
Blue 1oz+16/32
Violet 16/32
Red Oxide 1/64
white 21/32

vernb
04-18-2008, 11:22 PM
somewhere in here there is thread on the JBL blue paint. They actually found the CMYK codes for it and someone tells you to use a sponge for painting. I will try to find that thread for you.
Vern

BMWCCA
04-19-2008, 06:10 AM
somewhere in here there is thread on the JBL blue paint. They actually found the CMYK codes for it and someone tells you to use a sponge for painting. I will try to find that thread for you.
VernWhat the heck is that speaker in your avatar? I'm not familiar with it. Looks like a sideways L20t but with an 044 instead of the 035ti. Euro-only? Or your own creation. The 044 looks great in that little box, if that's what it is.

subwoof
04-19-2008, 12:45 PM
it's an 18Ti with 044 ( not Ti ). I have a pair also....can't afford the black ti's...:(

Krunchy
04-19-2008, 01:07 PM
I just got some pre mixed paint from JohnW here on the forum, do a search for his posts and you'll find the thread. unsless you really want to mix your own, I did not need a whole heck of a lot for my project.
All that typing produced a mighty thirst that can only be queched by delicious beer! :cheers:

subwoof
04-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Ahhhh....no kids tonight.

Time for Floyd and India Ale.

:cheers:

Krunchy
04-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Cheers Mr. Subwoof! Nothing goes better with beer than music & vice versa, especially with that Floyd guy. Was listening to David Gilmour's latest release at RobH's house a little while back. I really liked his two previous solo albums and was glad to hear he had some new material out. It was very nice, real mellow though, so if you're looking for that scorching guitar action go to his other releases, still, worth listening to if you are a Floyd fan.
Now I've heard you mention that particular beverage a couple of times now, who's the brewery?
I've been on a wheat beer kick for a while now, so many beers so little time!
Have a great weekend! ;)

RobD8870
04-20-2008, 06:28 AM
Thanks to everyone for the responses.

Vern, Please do let me know if you find that post. I have searched and keep coming up empty.

Krunchy, thanks for the suggestion. I just intend on repainting the fronts of my 4313b's. So I may contact JohnW to see if he has anymore.

Anymore info please keep it coming. I am off to do my 7th coat of boiled linseed and terpentine. With all this rubbing I finally have an excuse why my right forearm is larger than the other.:bs::D

vernb
04-20-2008, 10:30 AM
What the heck is that speaker in your avatar? I'm not familiar with it. Looks like a sideways L20t but with an 044 instead of the 035ti. Euro-only? Or your own creation. The 044 looks great in that little box, if that's what it is.

They are actually 18ti speakers but with 044 instead of 044TI in them. They sound great, and I almost got them for nothing. front grilles had gone missing. I don't care, I like the looks of them without anyway.
Vern