PDA

View Full Version : Behringer A500 amp

diamondsouled
04-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Anyone pick up a Behringer A500 yet or have a chance to hear one?

For $200, if the specs are accurate, they might be a great deal:

http://www.behringer.com/A500/index.cfm?lang=eng

pentictonklaus
04-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Anyone pick up a Behringer A500 yet or have a chance to hear one?

For $200, if the specs are accurate, they might be a great deal:

http://www.behringer.com/A500/index.cfm?lang=eng

I bought one 2 years ago as a filler when my bryston was for repair.
The behringer is a nice 200 $ amp. But I was thinking about gutting it and send the housing to Guido for putting a pass lab into it.( He might like the name on the front ) If you are into serious listening, stay away from it. The cheap Behringer is not really bad for the money and I was impressed with its low bass output. The highs are cold as ice but not distorted.The mids are somewhat better, but it lacks detail big time.
Please bear in mind that I was comparing it to more expensive amps and the Behringer was not a winner.

diamondsouled
04-11-2008, 10:35 PM
I bought one 2 years ago as a filler when my bryston was for repair.
The behringer is a nice 200 $ amp. But I was thinking about gutting it and send the housing to Guido for putting a pass lab into it.( He might like the name on the front ) If you are into serious listening, stay away from it. The cheap Behringer is not really bad for the money and I was impressed with its low bass output. The highs are cold as ice but not distorted.The mids are somewhat better, but it lacks detail big time.
Please bear in mind that I was comparing it to more expensive amps and the Behringer was not a winner.

So it would be fine in a biamp situation for the low end? Say below 1000Hz..

Cheers

Lar

hjames
04-12-2008, 07:15 AM

Cheers

Lar

Yeah, but there are known good alternatives amps that work well in the low end in that price range, if you don't mind used.
Chase down gear from Crown, or the JBL/UREI amps

pentictonklaus
04-12-2008, 08:20 AM

Cheers

Lar
It does not have the power as promised. I tried it and the amp clips before some real action comes to the house. Crown DC 300 a is what I use for the lows.
Plenty used ones on the market. Shipping to the Yukon is probably not cheap due to the high weight.
Where in the Yukon are You? I will be in Whitehorse this summer.

richluvsound
04-12-2008, 09:03 AM
"I was thinking about gutting it and send the housing to Guido for putting a pass lab into it.( He might like the name on the front ) "

I cant imagine Guido, or Nelson wanting-let alone wearing, such a cheap suit:D

As HJ suggests , look to find a quality used amp.

Rich

diamondsouled
04-12-2008, 12:24 PM
It does not have the power as promised. I tried it and the amp clips before some real action comes to the house. Crown DC 300 a is what I use for the lows.
Plenty used ones on the market. Shipping to the Yukon is probably not cheap due to the high weight.
Where in the Yukon are You? I will be in Whitehorse this summer.

About 300 miles down the Alaska Hwy in Watson Lake.

Shipping up here isn't too bad for items under 60 lbs because the post office will handle them. For anything over you have to use a courier and they can be real pricey. I've actually had several tube amps shipped in through the post office and they have all arrived with no damage. Which is amazingly lucky seeing that they weren't packed as well as I would have packed them.

What brings up to the great white north?

Cheers

Lar

diamondsouled
04-12-2008, 12:28 PM
Yeah, but there are known good alternatives amps that work well in the low end in that price range, if you don't mind used.
Chase down gear from Crown, or the JBL/UREI amps

Hi Heather,

I was thinking that for $200 for a new amp that it wouldn't be anything special.

I do like some of the other Behringer products though, their mixing boards for example which are comparable with Mackie but for a lot less, haven't any experience with their amps so thought it best to ask people in the know.

Cheers

Lar

pentictonklaus
04-15-2008, 06:01 PM
What brings up to the great white north?

I am just visiting friends. It's been about 10 years since I have been to the Yukon last. I do however work winters at around the 60 degree border in B.C.
(Helmet oil field. 200 km north of Fort Nelson )

There is a small air strip north of Whitehorse called the Cinnamon Bun strip that I used to fly to to eat. I forgot the name, Braelyn or something close.
Good food and proper northern hospitality.

Good to see that we have Canadian JBL-ers that far north.

Take care Klaus

chilledspode
04-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Greetings Lar!

I am east of you a bit - good to see another northerner on the site

Cheers

Mark

pentictonklaus
04-19-2008, 10:06 PM
[quote=chilledspode;207474]Greetings Lar!

I am east of you a bit - good to see another northerner on the site

North meets JBL

Klaus

ARG
04-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Hi;
I have numerous old amps I'm willing to sell if your willing to wait for the rebuild. ( Bryston 4B,BGW 750C,H&HV800's)
Otherwise you might want to talk to my friends at General Audio in Calgary , ask for Rod and tell him RIch sent you . They have great stuff and they don't hose thier customers.
Rod's been in the business about 35 years and know his stuff well.
If you want good power cheap Id recomend Phonic , as they build most of the commercial stuff for Behringer and others, including the Beh Euro 2500 , THe Phonic MAX 2500 (500 rms per side) is the same amp better built by the guys who Beh contracts to build thier stuff. It'll run CLose to 6 bills but its
worth it I have 2 , and they sound great. Warm round and full.
Regards..R