PDA

View Full Version : H K twin power 930 vs pioneer + yamaha

sean19
04-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Just picked up a H K twin power 930 this amp really surprised me bass is tight and has a lot of punch compared to my pioneer sx 1250 and my yamaha cr3020 and the mid's are warm almost tube sounding and great high's i never would have thought this litle 45 watt amp i paid $35.00 for at good will would have out performed my pioneer and yamaha. ok the cr3020 is still a very nice amp better than the marantz, sansui and pioneer of the day but damn this litle H K 930 hangs right there with it. So i guss i will have a pioneer sx 1250 and sansui 9090 going on ebay soon. dose anyone else in this forum use a H K twin series if so what do you think of it ?

hjames
04-09-2008, 02:46 AM
Just picked up a H K twin power 930 this amp really surprised me bass is tight and has a lot of punch compared to my pioneer sx 1250 and my yamaha cr3020 and the mid's are warm almost tube sounding and great high's i never would have thought this litle 45 watt amp i paid $35.00 for at good will would have out performed my pioneer and yamaha. ok the cr3020 is still a very nice amp better than the marantz, sansui and pioneer of the day but damn this litle H K 930 hangs right there with it. So i guss i will have a pioneer sx 1250 and sansui 9090 going on ebay soon. dose anyone else in this forum use a H K twin series if so what do you think of it ?

Can you post pictures of it here in the forum? I'm interested. I have an HK Citation 22 in my TV room, and run my upstairs system with a Yamaha CR-2040

zipplok
04-09-2008, 05:47 PM
I own a Harman Kardon 930 receiver that has had most of the capacitors in critical sections replaced with Elna Cerafines. The four main power supply caps were also replaced with new ones of a higher capacitance and voltage rating. These HK receivers in stock form were real sleepers and indeed had all of the + attributes you mentioned. Though after upgrading them with audiophile parts, these twin power Harman Kardons (the 930 in particular) become extremely capable performers. IMHO, easily the equal of my fully upgraded Pioneer SX-1250 or Marantz 2325. Zipplok

Tweak48
04-10-2008, 07:37 AM
These HK receivers in stock form were real sleepers and indeed had all of the + attributes you mentioned. Though after upgrading them with audiophile parts, these twin power Harman Kardons (the 930 in particular) become extremely capable performers. IMHO, easily the equal of my fully upgraded Pioneer SX-1250 or Marantz 2325. Zipplok

I had a 930 while in college during the mid-70's, and it clearly sounded better than the competing Marantz 2270, Yamaha CR-1000, and Pioneer models that I was selling at my retail job. One of its huge advantages was that it could easily drive 4 ohm loads, which many of my fellow students had through using either 2 sets of speakers (psuedo-quad) or Bose 901s, etc. Have you ever heard/seen a Marantz 2270 drive a pair of 901's? The panel lights would dim and the bass disintegrate when driving a dynamic signal hard.

The problem was the h/k cosmetics were not up to the other brands; made for a tougher sell. I really found that out after getting out of college, becoming a factory rep for the Harman (then Beatrice) brands, and trying to sell the h/k 330, 450, 560, 670, lines to dealers. Wonderful sound; tough cosmetics. Aged well, though. Maybe ahead of their time.

4313B
04-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Wonderful sound; tough cosmetics.I'd agree with that.

I always liked the looks of the Yamaha gear from that era. Heck, alot of that stuff looked pretty nice.

duaneage
04-17-2008, 06:55 PM
Back then stereo equipment really looked like stereo equipment. Aluminum and glass, metal knobs, the feel of the switchgear. Today it is craptastic. THe lighting was the key, the stereos then had distinctive colors and schemes.

bakes837
01-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Bumping an old thread to sing the praises of this old receiver.

I got mine as a throw-in when I picked up my L100s. Looked at it, thought "Eh, probably nothing special..." Lifted it and thought "Hmmm, there's some iron in those transformers..." Listened to it and knew instantly it wasn't going anywhere. Warm almost tubelike sound, plenty of bass oomph, and a sweet high end. Will likely recap it at some point in time in the future but for now I have it in my bedroom setup playing whatever set of speakers I have in the rotation (currently some Infinity 3006s that do NOT want to leave the HK - really great match) and enjoying it every morning.

To steal an old quote, "she may not be pretty but she sure can cook!" I wouldn't trade it for any Pioneer out there. :D

SEAWOLF97
01-17-2012, 01:00 PM
Had to chuckle while reading some of the "me toos" in the above posts ....I had a 930 , it was OK ..nothing special . IMHO

Better than Marantz & Pioneer ?

the higher end Pioneers were very nice , best sounding receiver ever to cross my hands
was a 2385 , tho it was stingy on inputs....the 9090DB sounded vgood too.