PDA

View Full Version : Altec Horn unit 1005 model, fake or real and green or black?

MJP
04-07-2008, 07:44 AM
I am a potential buyer of one seller in my country for Altec horn 1005. I have some questions to ensure before buying as follows:
1) He said this horn unit is in BLACK (not Green). Any difference in quality of sound and material?
2) How can I detect whenter this 1005 horn unit is real or fake?
3) I already have woofer 416-16Z, is this woofer going well with 1005/288-16G/N500f?

I have very little knowledge and experience. :(Please help.

Thank You in advance for the answer,

MJP

Earl K
04-07-2008, 08:51 AM
http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1978-pro/page12.jpg

I have very little knowledge and experience. Please help.

Thank You in advance for the answer,

- You're welcome .

- Hopefully you're aware that this forum has a huge library that includes Altec & JBL catalogues ? Info from the Altec library (http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/altec.htm) combined with all the info gleaned from eBay, can easily help you determine if the mentioned 1005 horns are real or fake .

1) He said this horn unit is in BLACK (not Green). Any difference in quality of sound and material?
2) How can I detect whenter this 1005 horn unit is real or fake?
3) I already have woofer 416-16Z, is this woofer going well with 1005/288-16G/N500f?

(1) Color doesn't matter except to an interior decorator . To the best of my knowledge, Altec didn't sell multicells that were painted their special Altec green. Dark Charcoal or battleship grey > yes / but not green. Old horns get painted / that's just the way the world works .
(2) Real or Fake ?
- Make sure these prospective horns are made of metal ( not some indonesian hardwood ) and covered in the proper sound-damping material ( Aquaplas ) .
- Look for the 1005B label on the horn under the paint.
- Make sure these horns have the 30210 throat assembly included ( used to attach a single 288 driver ) . Buying these separately from eBay is a real waste of time & money .
(3) System ( good bad )?
- Don't really know, but my instincts say that a single 16 ohm 416 style woofer in a Bass Reflex box will have a hard time sounding balanced with a 288-16G driver .
- If you're using a 825 or 828 cabinet to horn load the 416 , then at least the mid above 150hz will balance out .
- I believe you need subs / buy a pair of JBL 2245H woofers for the LF duty .

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1975-pro/page_9.jpg

:)

ps ; here are pics of a "painted" 1005b from a recent eBay sale .

MJP
04-08-2008, 07:15 AM
Earl K,
Thank you so much for the prompt answers and kind advice. This helped me a lot.
I checked back to my seller, he said that the throat is not the model as you mentioned. The throat has 2 ports (may be 30170 or 30172). He closed one port and mounted another port to 288-16G driver.
Is there any impact on sound?

Many thanks to you once again,
MJP

Earl K
04-08-2008, 08:52 AM
The throat has 2 ports (may be 30170 or 30172).

- According to the picture I linked to above, it ought to be a 30170 and not a 30172.

He closed one port and mounted another port to 288-16G driver.
Is there any impact on sound?

- Closing off one half of a double entry throat will always have some measurable effect.
- Since you don't seem to have any measuring equipment / you may never notice the effect .
- Whether or not the measurable effect is large or small depends on how the 1/2 section was closed off .
- If the half-section is closed-off and smoothed from the inside / the disruption can be minimized .

- A single curved throat presurrizing a 1005 will likely slightly favour the HF to one side of the horn ( though without measuring equipment it might not be noticable )

Buy or Not ?

- You can always wait for a pair of 30170s to become available on eBay .
- Considering your location / & if the price is right ( plus, if you think you can eventually resell to someone else who's local to recoup your money ) / then go ahead and buy .

:)

MJP
04-09-2008, 03:34 AM
Earl K,
Thank You so much for the answers. Your answers are so cleared to me.:):applaud:

I am going to trade my existing H811/846A/N800F to get the smooth and better sound. It is a big change in sound, I hope!
And will replace 416-16Z to 515 later...this is good for the time being

Kind regards,
MJP