PDA

View Full Version : Comparisons

tom1040
04-05-2008, 04:35 AM
Can someone tell me how the JBL S2600 compares with other JBL speakers, any of the well know and respected series. There is not alot of information that I have been able to gleen from the net regarding these speakers. They will arrive on 4/7/08.

Hoerninger
04-05-2008, 05:07 AM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8373
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=188964&postcount=1

tom1040
04-08-2008, 08:17 AM
I just rec'd a phone call from Fedex. One of the speakers has "water damage" due to being on a trailor and water leaking inside. I cannot believe that! This will be the third time I will have rec'd damaged goods from UPS or FEDEX this year. I have only purchased three things this year. Not a good track record.

They will deliver to me tomorrow ( due today ) and I will inspect it then. I am a little more than upset. Sorry, I just needed a place to vent. Thanks

Earl K
04-08-2008, 09:31 AM
I just rec'd a phone call from Fedex. One of the speakers has "water damage" due to being on a trailor and water leaking inside. I cannot believe that! This will be the third time I will have rec'd damaged goods from UPS or FEDEX this year. I have only purchased three things this year. Not a good track record.

They will deliver to me tomorrow ( due today ) and I will inspect it then. I am a little more than upset. Sorry, I just needed a place to vent. Thanks

That's a drag. If your speakers were sealed up with plastic before being boxed up / they may be all right .

- Educate me here, ( & According to Fedex policy ) ; once you accept delivery , do you waive any rights to file a damage claim at a later date ?

- The reason I ask is that assessing for water-damaged components ( through an outside only visual inspection ) isn't the most effective way to proceed . The components need to be removed and closely examined .

HF ( Driver ) Damage ;
- ie; Large horns will funnel water into a compression driver and waterlog the paper former of a diaphragm, effectively deforming & destroying the voicecoil . - A visual inspection won't usually bring this to light / though removing the driver from the horn and shaking it while listening for slooshing sounds, might.
- Opening up the driver and removing the diaphragm is the only sure way to know if there is ( or has been ) water inside of the gap area .
- Horn / driver removal will need to be covered by someone else who actually own a pair of these speakers .

Woofer Damage ;

- The plasticized cone and surround ( I'm assuming the ME120H is similar to my ME150H in this regard ) can withstand more wetness than a raw paper cone ( so you might dodge a bullet there if the cabinet wasn't facedown or faceup ) .

- To the best of my knowledge , the ME120H can't be reconed .
- Original woofer replacement is most likely "NLA", leaving you to seek out a workable substitute .
- I'm thinking the 1200Fe would come closest as a viable dropin / but you'll need help from someone who actually has a pair of these rare (SOTA ) twelves before that can be determined .
- Acoustically, you'll want to replace in pairs .

- If in your shoes, I'd collect some replacement costs on these parts before Fedex arrives tomorrow and demands a snap decision ( if, that's their way of doing things ) .

best of luck tomorrow, :)

ps; archive your initial findings with pics .

tom1040
04-08-2008, 10:41 AM
As you my assume with my name, I am right at the end of tax season and really do not need this hassle. Fedex will deliver, I will inspect and, if needed, issue a "call tag"-they may not need to pick up the speakers in order to get a refund-at least that is what a lady told me today. I really do not know the answers. UPS delivered a pair of JBL 940T that I had to send back-getting a full refund-I hope.

Earl K
04-08-2008, 11:01 AM
As you may assume with my name, I am right at the end of tax season and ,,,,,,snip.

- Actually, as a Canadian, the number included within your moniker didn't imply anything of note .

:)

ps ; Here are Harmans' most up to date prices for the limited replacement parts they offer .

tom1040
04-10-2008, 12:52 PM
S2600 arrived. Shipping boxes destroyed. Speakers seem okay. Do not have time to remove drivers but I did hook them up and they seem to be a very, very good sounding speaker.

Earl K
04-10-2008, 02:14 PM
,,,snip,,,Speakers seem okay. Do not have time to remove drivers but I did hook them up and they seem to be a very, very good sounding speaker.

Well, that's very encouraging .

- Don't wait too long to open them up to inspect the components .
- The top-plate of the drivers ( which the voicecoil sits inside ) is suseptible to rusting ( if any water got into these drivers' gap areas ) .
- Storing the speakers face-down will drain moisture from the woofers gaps / but retaining moisture in the compression drivers' gap areas . Flip 180° for the alternative to be true .

:)

Mr. Widget
04-11-2008, 07:55 AM
S2600 arrived. Shipping boxes destroyed. Speakers seem okay. Do not have time to remove drivers but I did hook them up and they seem to be a very, very good sounding speaker.I would still file a claim. If you explain that the original shipping boxes are part of the value of a vintage system like yours, FedEx should pay you for the damaged boxes. Obviously soaking people's shipments isn't normal... I am sure they will work out something with you if you pursue it.

Glad to hear that your speakers seem OK.

Widget

johnaec
04-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Obviously soaking people's shipments isn't normal...That's one of the reasons I always encase speakers in plastic, (big lawn bags or other), before I pack them in shipping boxes. At least it's a little more protection...

John

Mr. Widget
04-11-2008, 08:54 AM
(big lawn bags or other)Yeah, JBLs should go in "lawn" bags, never trash bags. :applaud:

Seriously, JBL ships most of their speakers and drivers in bags too... always a good idea. However, I think a flooded semi trailer is rather exceptional.

Widget