PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4313B Control Monitors Repair, restore, info thoughts?

RobD8870
04-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Hello to everyone here. I am brand new to the forum and this is my first post. I got into vintage audio probably a little over a year ago but have enjoyed music ever since I can remember. :D

Anyways, while reading on some other forums I have seen the 43## series speakers mentioned quite a few times. They rarely if ever come up for sale locally here in my area. I really dont know much if anything about them besides they seemed to carry a great reputation.

So when I ran across a pair of the 4313B's on CL I snapped them up. The cabinets have some siginificant scratches but are not beat to heck and back overall. I will do my best to get them look presentable. These I am assuming are oiled walnut veneer. I will try to get some pictures up later so I can get some opinions on what to do regarding getting these scratches to look as good as possible without replacing the veneer. Plus what do you all use to redo these cabinets....boiled linseed oil? Watco Danish oil? Is wood filler an option with this type of repair?

As usually they do need new foam surrounds. I am trying to find the best source possible for these. Any suggestions? Msound is who I am leaning towards right now. Any tips for refoaming these particular woofers? The mids still have there foam intact but I will likely do those as well while I am at it. I have never done a jbl woofer.

Finally any general information regarding this particular model would be greatly appreciated!! Anything that you may have to add!!

I am sure I am going to have some more questions coming but I will start with the refoam and restoration of the cabinet.....then soon the crossovers. But we will start here. Thanks to everyone in advance!!:applaud:

RobD8870
04-04-2008, 07:58 AM
I just used the search function again and came up with a lot of old post regarding info.....I must have searched it incorrectly. :banghead:

grumpy
04-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Q: Should I recone or refoam?
A: Probably. If you can't tell, perhaps someone may respond with a referral
to a local professional. If the surround is shot, it is quite possible that
the the voice coil suspension (spider) is following suit. Reconing is always
preferred (and recommended by JBL) unless the recone kit is No Longer
Available (NLA).
A: The following is a member-contributed step-by-step photo and caption
thread for resurrounding a JBL low-frequency transducer:
http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=469

Q: Where can I buy a recone or refoam kit?
A: Recone kits from the factory are only available to authorized service centers.
From there, it's up to the servicer to uphold his agreement with JBL to not supply
an un-authorized person with a recone kit, or risk losing his service account.
A: Refoams are not factory recommended, but there are a number of vendors that
sell "kits" with instructions. A forum search should turn up several.

Tung oil & turpentine, Howards Feed&Wax, Watco, ... all have been used here
with happy owners.

If possible, download and check the Owner's Manual for cleaning/oiling guides.

refinishing example:
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=873

Those are nice speakers, worth refinishing, but foam on the mid?
Maybe post some pictures :) -grumpy

Krunchy
04-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Welcome Rob!
Yes there is plenty of info on them, for refoams look up Bo's thread (Grumpy's got the link) in the DIY section and get in touch with Rick Cobb. They are very easy to refoam, you are in for some good times. Not sure about the mids???
They are great speakers!!!

Enjoy!

RobD8870
04-04-2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks Grumpy and Krunchy...

I may be totally off on the mid having foam...I did not look at it too much as I was in a rush to get them into the closet untill I figured out how to explain another pair to the Fiance.......:blah:

I have never reconed but would be willing to take it on. Interesting info regarding the availablity of the recone kits. However, the surrounds are mostly still intact...hopefully they were not used much in this state and a refoam will be good enough.

Going to check the links that were posted now!! I will also contact Rick Cobb...thanks again.

LRBacon
04-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Welcome Rob,

Here's a link to the 4313B system information :
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4313b.pdf

The woofer used in the 4313B is the LE10H. The recone kit is C8RLE111H. I would highly recommend that you have them professionally reconed. The kits retail for $170 a piece, a little spendy but worth it. The refoam kits for the surrounds are not too difficult to do and are quite inexpensive compared to a recone. BUT the foam surrounds in any of aftermarket refoam kits that I have used does not have the same compliance as the surrounds used in the OEM recone kits. An OEM recone of the woofers makes them sound like they did when they were new.
No foam surrounds on those midranges.

Larry

RobD8870
04-09-2008, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the info Larry....Now I am torn on if I will refoam or bite the bullet and get the full recone. I am working on getting the cabinets looking as nice as possible. I have ordered my grill cloth from zilch and hopefully will have no issues getting the paint for the fronts mixed at sherwin williams. I have gone back and forth on what type of finish I want on the veneer. I beleive I am going with boiled linseed oil. I have used it in the past when I redid a pair of AR-5's and they came out pretty nice.

I will post back my results if anyone cares to see the progress.

macaroonie
04-09-2008, 10:32 AM
First. $30 and a bit of time. Thats the most you have to loose, if you are not happy then get the cones. I have done all of mine and in fairness I did know the usage involved. It was nothing more than age rot that got the foam.
Great speakers, keepers for sure.

mike
04-09-2008, 06:12 PM
If you are careful you can soften up those aftermarket refoam kits with brake fluid just like the guys do with the lansaloy surrounds. It seems to have a lasting effect too. You must use caution though as too much can ruin the surround.
Mike

LRBacon
04-10-2008, 08:20 AM
If you are careful you can soften up those aftermarket refoam kits with brake fluid just like the guys do with the lansaloy surrounds. It seems to have a lasting effect too. You must use caution though as too much can ruin the surround.
Mike

I'll have to try it. Thinking that it was the spyders that were stiff, I tried WD40 on pair of LE10's. I wonder if WD40 would work on the surrounds instead of brake fluid.

Larry

Boofus
04-30-2008, 07:10 AM
Rob - I am interested in hearing how the re-foaming goes for you. I also have a pair of 4313Bs that are suffering from rim-rot. I've never attempted a repair like this so I'm waiting to see your report on the process before I do. (Yes, I'm sort-of cowardly when it comes to messing with treasured audio gear...)

Hadro
10-26-2008, 04:09 PM
I had Orange County Speakers refoam my 4313bs and they sound great. If You don't use break fluid on the foam, how long does it take for the foam to soften naturally? Anybody know?

Thanks