PDA

View Full Version : We must be Old School

Regis
03-19-2004, 04:17 PM
My recent experience with helping my young friend get a pair of JBL's was a real eye opener. He's in his late 20's and I firmly believe that whole generation has little knowledge of what good audio is all about. Naturally, his young wife freaked out on the L-100's (sans grills) and she thought they were ugly. What's wrong with black boxes in the living room and white woofers? She'll get used to them soon enough.

He was really surprised at how nice they sounded (they aren't JBL's best offering, but I'd bet money they're better than anything you could get a "big box store" right now). He tore through all his CD's one after another, listening to them in a whole different light. Hearing crisp details he's never heard on what he had for speakers or the car radio. I think we lost a whole generation on good audio and that's why I undertook the (sometimes) exhaustive effort at getting some of my younger friends to buy vintage speakers at a "reasonable" price. Why? Because it's rewarding to turn someone on to having quality music inside their home. Once they hear it for themselves, they're pretty stoked. My young buddy remarks were much the same as I described, "I talk to my friends and they have no idea what I'm talking about, but when I talk to the older guys and tell them what I have, they know..."

THEJBLKID
03-19-2004, 05:55 PM
i hered my fist pair at age 8 ever since then ive been hook it was a pair l112 to be exact and it was the best sound i had ever hered
deep rich bass note nice clean crisps higns ever since ive been 14 ive had jbls the first pair i got were a pair of 166 for 40 bucks from a pawn shop took them to THE SPEAKER WORKS in phx az were a dear freind of mine TED TURNER re surround them .ive had servral pair 4311s l80s l36 l55 i still have my 166s till this day ive had other brands too i had a pair of la sclalas they need a sub
but for what you get jbl is the all around speakers for anybody
and any kinda musical taste and they can take a licking and keep on ticking the speaker i got are older than me

p.s. any input you can givve me about my poormans everest project would be greatly appriciated

Robh3606
03-19-2004, 08:45 PM
Hello Regis

Yeah I would say so. I have been into Hi Fi since I was a kid thank's to my dad. Now my son will be helping me build my 4344's. At least he knows what the real deal is. Half these guys use their computer loaded with MP3 as their "stereos" and are happy with that. Not quite the same thing. Turning them on to real gear is fun as the jaws drop! Times have changed when I was a teenager the stereo was king now it's the computer. Tuff competition!

Rob:)

boputnam
03-19-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Regis
He was really surprised at how nice (the L-100) sounded (they aren't JBL's best offering, but I'd bet money they're better than anything you could get a "big box store" right now). :yes:

Now where is "thoots" when we need him...?? :(

Robh3606
03-19-2004, 10:10 PM
Now where is "thoots" when we need him...??

Itching for another round??

Rob:)

leif
03-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Yes we are the old school. No doubt about that. And I am amazed to see that so many people belive in all the new revolutionary stuff that is on the market every year. There must have been at leat 10-15 revolutions since JBL was on its height. Yet the new speakers dont sound that much better.

I belive trends have changed when it come to look. Nowadays people like slim, deep speakers. And you have a problem to make them like that when using 10-12-15 inches woofers, like JBL like to do.

Leif Arild

Alex Lancaster
03-21-2004, 04:42 PM
You mean "designer" speakers like little Bang or Hugo Bose?.

THEJBLKID
03-21-2004, 05:25 PM
hey guys
its funny that a speaker thats older me can still out perform any thing out the on the market in its price range i think the horizons went for 1100 to 1200 and they will still smoke anything in that price range in today market
rob