PDA

View Full Version : Horns for 2407

winny
03-31-2008, 01:44 AM
Someone obviously got very drunk last Saturday and managed to bid on and win two 2407J on eBay, which he to a big surprise discovered on Sunday morning with an invoice in the inbox.

I suppose the only reasonable thing to do is to make two monitors out of them. The problem is that I don't know what horns to use for them and where to find them.

Any suggestions anyone?

KCCT82
03-31-2008, 02:16 AM
I suppose the only reasonable thing to do is to make two monitors out of them. The problem is that I don't know what horns to use for them and where to find them.

Try ebay for 1" throat JBL horns, P Audio makes some screw mount to bolt on adaptors.

winny
03-31-2008, 03:30 AM
Well, making it mechanically fit shouldn't bee too hard but I'm more curious what horns would work well and be suited for the driver, and where I can find them.

Zilch
03-31-2008, 01:50 PM
The JBL Pro $10 PT waveguide, part# 338800-001

Eighteen Sound XT120 with throat adapter

Electo-Voice HPT-94

Those I've used.

Parts Express has a poo-pot of thread-on horns to try....

m8o
06-06-2009, 08:55 PM
I know i'm reviving a 'necro-thread'. But, for any wondering the same thing as the OP and as I was... for the record, I'm loving them on 2342 lenses. Presently using it as a tweeter replacing the La Scala's tweeter with it. (I'd been using a mini-Smith with 2402 driver before) The smoothness and dispersion around the room is something I never expected. I'm so happy. (I wonder if they'd like the narrower gap of the 2344 more tho?)

Will move it and be using it in a 2-way MTM arrangement for above head side speakers soon tho. At that point I'll be crossing them over around 1.5K, not the 5K - 7K (I'm not sure; have to look it up) it's crossed over at presently. Hope they sound as good down low as they do up high.

Zilch
06-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Current favorite: PT-B99HF used in AC16:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/AE%20Series%20Compact%20Models/AC16-WH.pdf

robertbartsch
06-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Yeh, I pulled a pair of these from a recent cab I purchased. They were supposed to serve as a high mid and an UHF driver, I suppose.

They have a 1" threaded throat, I beleive.

Anyway, I was dissapointed in their performance, replacing them with a pair of 2425s, so you might want to re-think your intended use.

Sometimes it is better to cut your losses.

Zilch
06-12-2009, 10:14 AM
It helps to understand that intended use and work within the limits.

They are tweeters, not general application mid/high drivers like 2425H/J, and pretty highly regarded everywhere by those who know what they're doing with them.... :yes:

BMWCCA
06-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Someone obviously got very drunk last Saturday and managed to bid on and win two 2407J on eBay, which he to a big surprise discovered on Sunday morning with an invoice in the inbox.

Any suggestions anyone?Yeah, two. 1). Quit drinking or 2). unplug the computer first. ;)

m8o
06-17-2009, 08:43 PM
Yeh, I pulled a pair of these from a recent cab I purchased. They were supposed to serve as a high mid and an UHF driver, I suppose.
They have a 1" threaded throat, I beleive.
Anyway, I was dissapointed in their performance, replacing them with a pair of 2425s, so you might want to re-think your intended use.
Sometimes it is better to cut your losses. I'm wondering a few things as I plan to be using them lower than I am now...

What lens/horn were they on, and what cross-over frequency and slope were they using at that time ?

Thanx

robertbartsch
06-18-2009, 09:19 AM
I bought my system from another third party so I am not sure about the cross or horn. ...all I know is that these drivers did not keep up with the woofer.

robertbartsch
06-18-2009, 12:00 PM
I would look at the 2407 spec sheet to determine how low they might go.

Zilch
06-18-2009, 12:08 PM
I bought my system from another third party so I am not sure about the cross or horn. ...all I know is that these drivers did not keep up with the woofer.Allow me to state it more clearly, paraphrasing another member here:

"A guy without data is just another guy with an opinion."

You don't know what woofer, you don't know what horn, you don't know what crossover or slope, it maybe wasn't even a JBL product, and you offer up a conclusion that 2407s suck?

What does that mean, "... did not keep up with the woofer?"

There's nothing to prevent posting gratuitous blather, but I'm not the first to call you on what appears to be a common practice for you here....

I would look at the 2407 spec sheet to determine how low they might go.Which may be found where?

robertbartsch
06-18-2009, 01:12 PM
I don't know much about these but they are not my favorite drivers...

Zilch
06-18-2009, 01:22 PM
I don't know much about these but they are not my favorite drivers...C'mon, now, we KNOW you can do it!

The data sheet is where? :dont-know

demon
06-18-2009, 01:41 PM
guys! guys! i found it: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21754

:)

have fun,
mikey

Zilch
06-18-2009, 02:16 PM
guys! guys! i found it: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21754SPOILER! :die:

[I was hoping Heather would post it.... ;) ]

hjames
06-18-2009, 03:03 PM
SPOILER! :die:

[I was hoping Heather would post it.... ;) ]
huh? I was downstairs listening to music - I mean, thats what its all about, right?

Some kind of quad mix of Pink Floyd's WYWH (not that impressive)
then the Beatles LOVE in DTS _ very nice with the Aquaplass Ti 2425s from G-man (thanks!)

You guys can run searches here these days right? (thanks Mikey!)
Except for that troll guy ...
:applaud:

Zilch
06-18-2009, 11:11 PM
Nightbrace was WAY more fun, actually.... ;)

hjames
06-19-2009, 02:38 AM
Nightbrace was WAY more fun, actually.... ;)

more fun that what ...actually?
... more fun than a lobotomy?
... more fun than a NY troll?

Zilch
06-19-2009, 12:08 PM
What they don't get is how patently insulting it is to those who do the heavy lifting here.

I don't count myself among them, but within my limited capabilities, I do put some effort into sharing the load.... :cheers:

m8o
06-26-2009, 11:46 AM
I bought my system from another third party so I am not sure about the cross or horn. ...all I know is that these drivers did not keep up with the woofer. I see. What just came to mind is the VRX series does use 3 of them. So what both you say (about them not keeping up) and Zilch say (about knowing what to do with them) can be both be true at the same time, depending on application (there are many cabinets where only one is used w/a woofer in a cabinet by JBL too). Once I cross mine over lower I won't consider using less than a 3-rd order if not 4-th order slope as one example. Then, some equalization as a cut across the lower part of the frequency range I use them thru will be another guarantee. ...and, I'll time align if bi-amping thru a ProSys or Crown 810, and make sure phase is right, and, and, and. ;)

Zilch
06-27-2009, 04:57 PM
So what both you say (about them not keeping up) and Zilch say (about knowing what to do with them) can be both be true at the same time, depending on application (there are many cabinets where only one is used w/a woofer in a cabinet by JBL too).It'd help if somebody defined what "not keeping up" means, 'cause I don't have a clue.... :(

m8o
08-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Oh, I forgot to come share here... My new favorite thing. :D will eventually be tri-amping all three front horns, but for now they're working excellently with the stock crossover (not listening @ ear-splitting levels so I am ok w/o a steeper crosssover for now)

Not saying it's "the best" as I haven't heard every option as some who've shared their experiences here have, but the 2407J likes these 2342s enough for me:

http://images110.fotki.com/v1538/photos/4/296054/7707236/IMGP7728-vi.jpg

http://images110.fotki.com/v1539/photos/4/296054/7707236/IMGP7729-vi.jpg