PDA

View Full Version : Question On JBL L-300's

Loud & Clear
03-26-2008, 04:12 PM
I have a pretty decent pair of L-300's. My question is: If I were to put on around 5-10 coats of piano black lacquer over the veneer (sanded smooth as a baby's bottom of course) and hand rub to a "Brilliant" shine. Would I De-value the pair of L-300's??? :o:

P.S. It would just match my front room so much better...

edgewound
03-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Yes, absolutely...to vintage collectors anyway.

Now you have to ask yourself, "What do I value more? My vintage collectable, original finish L-300s....or how they fit my decor?"

If the veneer is nice....keep 'em original. If not....you decide.

majick47
03-26-2008, 05:00 PM
Someone else that used to be here had a pair of desirable high end JBL speakers that were painted black and ended up having a tough time selling them. If appearance is more important than money my guess it will easly cost you $1000-$1500 off the resale value.

SEAWOLF97
03-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Someone else that used to be here had a pair of desirable high end JBL speakers that were painted black and ended up having a tough time selling them.

I think those 250ti's still had the woodgrain texture showing under the black , making them look like current "black ash" junk. Ask lovethatsound.

BMWCCA
03-26-2008, 07:52 PM
. . . current "black ash" junk.As a new L-5 owner, I represent that remark! :applaud:

Loud & Clear
03-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Hmmmm, Now I have to wonder, as they seem to be climbing in value lately. I appreciate your help... :)

grumpy
03-27-2008, 07:27 AM
$0.02 more:

also, the finish would -very- likely crack along the seams... eventually.

SUPERBEE
03-27-2008, 07:59 AM
A great way to ruin a classic set of speakers.

Loud & Clear
03-27-2008, 10:30 AM
I'm catching you guys' drift. I better keep them stock. Sure wish I could find some stock grills for them. I have the grill frames. I had them covered in black grill cloth. I actually saw a pair of "NOS" L-300 grills on the bay (sweet). they were camel. Man, they went for around $1300.00. Come to think of it. I could use some glass tops as well. I better keep my eye's wide open. These speakers are gaining value. I've had like 80 pairs of speaker in my life, and the L-300's sound the best (most were pro audio). I had even considered changing out the LE-85's, and installing jbl 375 drivers. Now y'all got me thinking alot harder... :)

toddalin
03-27-2008, 03:30 PM
WAF = Domestic Bliss > Resale $$$

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/speaker1.jpg

majick47
03-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Seeing you got the drift from the replies do a search for info on replacement smoked glass. Also there is info on the L300 cloth grills, Zilch has the original cloth in JBL blue. Along with those two items check for the JBL oil formula to replenish the walnut veneer.

grumpy
03-27-2008, 06:18 PM
... and mbottz makes the grilles :)

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19477

Loud & Clear
03-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Wow, Thanks, Looks like the JBL forum is the place to get you JBL stuff LOL... I appreciate the comments. Those grills look great. When I get more funds. I will get those L-300's RIGHT... :):):)

John
03-27-2008, 11:05 PM
Just my 2 cents but if you think you could duplicate the black piano finish as found on a Steinway??? Then perhaps you could gain something. I kind of doubt you could pull it off. Like it has been said already if the wood veneer is mint leave it alone and enjoy.:bouncy:

Mr. Widget
03-27-2008, 11:08 PM
I have a pretty decent pair of L-300's. My question is: If I were to put on around 5-10 coats of piano black lacquer over the veneer (sanded smooth as a baby's bottom of course) and hand rub to a "Brilliant" shine. Would I De-value the pair of L-300's???May I suggest you put the walnut original boxes in storage and build a pair of clones?

Also, I'd look into this product if you want a really deep gloss piano finish:

http://www.pianolac.com/

Widget

rek50
03-28-2008, 05:36 AM
Like he posted, "WAF = Domestic Bliss > Resale $$$"

If you have a sheet metal "Guy" near you, you may be able to have a
"Metal Skin" made up and painted "Glossy Piano Black". Slip the "Skin" over your 300's and enjoy "Her" smile. A proper fit would be required to look right.

Tim Rinkerman
03-28-2008, 02:11 PM
Lemme throw in $0.02 while you're at it...any black finish, be it flat,semi gloss, high gloss, whatever, will take more preparation than you can imagine. The surface preparation is 99% of any refinishing job, for black, it's about 99.5%. Black will show more surface imperfections and irregularities than any other color. A slightly wavy veneered surface can look and appear to be really flat and smooth because the grain pattern keeps you from seeing the irregularities. I've done some car and motorcycle work, and quite a few lacquered wood cabinets, I'm pretty picky, they all came out well. Black seems easy, but it isn't.

richluvsound
03-28-2008, 02:27 PM
May I suggest you put the walnut original boxes in storage and build a pair of clones?

Also, I'd look into this product if you want a really deep gloss piano finish:

http://www.pianolac.com/

Widget

Speaking from experience , that piano finish your after sure ain't DIY .
there are short cuts , but you still need to know how to buff and spray.

Fill the grain:o: takes a lot of practice. Everyone has seen the bad bondo job ! you cant see how bad it is till you put high gloss over it !!!!!! Store the originals and start practicing hard !

Rich

majick47
03-31-2008, 08:22 AM
Loud & Clear if you throw enough money time and effort almost anything can be accomplished if you want to go the piano black finish. On the other hand duplicateing the original smoked glass tops and having your grill cloth replaced will be easy/inexpensive in comparison. After you have reoiled the cabinets your L300 will be back looking original and should end any idea of another finish on the cabinets.

Loud & Clear
03-31-2008, 09:04 AM
That gives me alot to think about. I have put some real nice "shiny" finishes on wood, but they were alway's clear. I built a custom solid oak dash for my camaro. I ended up with 19 coats of marine spar varnish on it. I hand rubbed it, in between every coat. It turned out really beautiful. However, it did take me 2 year to accomplish. The veneer on my cabinets aren't perfect. What happened was, I noticed on ebay, a bunch of L-300 components for sale. I got ahold of the seller to ask him if he had the cabinets, he was just going to throw them away (what's one man's junk, is another man's treasure I guess). He said, he did. So I had him send me the whole works. And I put it em back together. Actually, I found a build sheet in one of them. I can't remember what it said. I know it was from 1978. I believe it told the name's of the people involved with the different aspects of the build. I put it back in the speaker. So it is still in there. That way I wouldn't loose it ;)

majick47
04-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Loud & Clear sounds like you can do some nice refinishing to woodwork with beautiful results. With new glass tops and grill cloth only the two walnut veneer sides will be partially visable. I picked up a pair of L200B speakers that had been painted black, looked like they were suspended in a club/bar. After removeing the black paint the original walnut veneer was oiled and to my surprise they looked presentable if not perfect. Recommend you give the original walnut veneer a chance first, you might be surprised at how good they look, and then if disatisfied get out the black paint. My bet is that with your skills you will be very satisfied with the original finish. Plenty of posts on LH to guide you thru the process.

Loud & Clear
04-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Loud & Clear sounds like you can do some nice refinishing to woodwork with beautiful results. With new glass tops and grill cloth only the two walnut veneer sides will be partially visable. I picked up a pair of L200B speakers that had been painted black, looked like they were suspended in a club/bar. After removeing the black paint the original walnut veneer was oiled and to my surprise they looked presentable if not perfect. Recommend you give the original walnut veneer a chance first, you might be surprised at how good they look, and then if disatisfied get out the black paint. My bet is that with your skills you will be very satisfied with the original finish. Plenty of posts on LH to guide you thru the process.
Thanks, I do believe I will hold off on the piano black for now. I've got a few other projects going. I'm thinking then, I will oil them. I have read the thread on here, about oiling the finish. It's great info. :)

majick47
04-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Loud & Clear your story re how you came by the L300 isn't too different from a lot of other members who found JBLs in the rough and gave them a second life. Some members have the skill and resources to build a set of cabinets that would match or better JBL factory cabinets but many of us arn't so skilled or have the tools. As long as the components are in good shape they will sound as nice as a pair with mint cabinets. A lot of the JBL speakers have a history to them. Another pair of L200b speakers I had came from a radio station, found the build order and paperwork with the radio stations call letters etc in one of the cabinets. Many of these speakers are 40-50 years old and show a good amount of use, I call it character. At least to me these old used speakers are appreciated for living such a long and usefull life. If you read enough posts here you will find that the few mint pairs of speakers that show up don't come cheaply. The price of L300s has risen quite a bit and even a pair in fair condition are no longer selling at the low prices of a few years ago. I'm sure you will be very proud of your L300 after they have been refurbished with new grill cloth, glass tops and the walnut veneer with a few coats of oil.

Loud & Clear
04-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Loud & Clear your story re how you came by the L300 isn't too different from a lot of other members who found JBLs in the rough and gave them a second life. Some members have the skill and resources to build a set of cabinets that would match or better JBL factory cabinets but many of us arn't so skilled or have the tools. As long as the components are in good shape they will sound as nice as a pair with mint cabinets. A lot of the JBL speakers have a history to them. Another pair of L200b speakers I had came from a radio station, found the build order and paperwork with the radio stations call letters etc in one of the cabinets. Many of these speakers are 40-50 years old and show a good amount of use, I call it character. At least to me these old used speakers are appreciated for living such a long and usefull life. If you read enough posts here you will find that the few mint pairs of speakers that show up don't come cheaply. The price of L300s has risen quite a bit and even a pair in fair condition are no longer selling at the low prices of a few years ago. I'm sure you will be very proud of your L300 after they have been refurbished with new grill cloth, glass tops and the walnut veneer with a few coats of oil.I have to agree with you. Ya, as I stated somewhere in this thread. I found one build sheet inside one of the cabinets. It was from 1978. Had alot of information on it. If I get into it again, I will take some pictures of it. I think it may be worthy to post... :)

3dbdown
05-02-2008, 01:34 AM
Hi, Guys.

Rick here.....

For what it's worth, JBL bought the L65 and L300 glass(smoked) from their next door neighbor on Casitas Ave.......The place was callled Hehr International....Don't know if they are still there....do a search.

Rick