PDA

View Full Version : JBL LX5 Vintage Speakers

Foss40z
03-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Hello all,

I am trying to get some information on a set of 15 inch LX5 speakers. They are in a Vintage cherry wood cabinet with horns. I am planning on selling these and i would like to know how much they are worth. i will post some pictures so every1 can see. they are still in Excellent shape. i have had offers from $1000-$1500 from just seeing these pictures.

Any Info i would Greatly appreciate.

Thank You
Rich

Foss40z
03-24-2008, 04:02 PM
i just recieved a call from a JBL fanatic and he said he could sell them for me for $2500-$3000 and he will take 10% off the top. are these speakers really worth that much?

hjames
03-24-2008, 04:43 PM
i just recieved a call from a JBL fanatic and he said he could sell them for me for $2500-$3000 and he will take 10% off the top. are these speakers really worth that much?

I don't know that they are worth that much - there are a lot of ripoffs and scams in the vintage audio business.
But I'd say get paid up front ... or don't let them out of your sight.

JBL Dog
03-24-2008, 05:15 PM

It doesn't appear that is a JBL cabinet, though I could be wrong. They're worth, at best, what the parts will fetch separately. It appears to be an S7 system. If everything is mint, you could be looking at $1600 to $1,800 on eBay. Add at least $200 if the components are painted blue. The market has been fairly strong for LE15A's and LX5's lately. Good luck!

BMWCCA
03-24-2008, 05:27 PM
Your crossover (the box on the back with the wires going to it) is an LX5. The speaker load is likely to be the S7, consisting of an LE15A low-frequency, and an LE85 driver with HL91 lens/horn. A nice set but I don't recognize the cabinet as a JBL original piece. I'm not getting a good vibe about your "expert". Certainly they have some value, though probably $1000 to $1500 is more realistic considering the cabinets.

Zilch
03-24-2008, 07:23 PM
You need to determine what driver is on the horn.

To access that, you remove the woofer, unless the rear of the cabinet is removable.

You'll need to do that to take pics of the drivers when selling them, anyway.... :yes:

John
03-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Yes throw them on ebay. Start at a penny and see where it ends. Then you will know what they were worth at least this week. ;)

Ebay is a funny place. I would guess closer to $1000-1200.

But what do I know:blink:

And like it has been said already make sure you have the cash in hand before you hand them over.:blah:

kc8tpr
03-25-2008, 05:13 AM
my suggestion

if you sell them on ebay. dont accept paypal for them. cash or money order. Paypal has a tendency to screw the wrong people when things happen.

steve

Maron Horonzakz
03-25-2008, 05:28 AM
That is not a JBL cabinet, The LX5 is only the crossover...Check to see what drivers are in the cabinet,,, Dont take anything for granted.;)

BMWCCA
03-25-2008, 06:46 AM
if you sell them on ebay. dont accept paypal for them. cash or money order. Paypal has a tendency to screw the wrong people when things happen.Conversely, many prospective buyers find the lack of PayPal suspicious. Is there really a problem taking PayPal if you drain your account after every transaction? :dont-know

Foss40z
03-26-2008, 10:22 AM
I opened up the cabinet and pulled the driver out and it is a LE15A . with LX5 crossover. the horn i am unsure about and do not want to take it out, but i snapped a picture of it. and everything is painted blue on the back.

Thanks for the Info so far guys. I appreciate it

jay
03-26-2008, 10:44 AM
Nothing personal, but your pictures are crummy. Did you take them with your phone? :o:
You'll need better ones for an eBay auction, so why not start with good ones now? Buy or borrow a real camera and tripod setup, and you'll be rewarded with a more successful auction. :)

Foss40z
03-26-2008, 10:56 AM
lol. this post was about getting info about the speakers, cabinet, and horns. not about cameras. i know they are not good pictures . as for selling them they are on craigslist and for pickup only. that way the person can come by and look at them in person. because i am not shipping these things. it takes 4 people to move them and i am just 1 person..

mind if i barrow your camera? :p

Every1 that has given me info i appreciate it and thank you. for those who like to give me info on my camera and info on how to use ebay. thank you but i dont help there. these are lansing heritage forums not ebay nor digital camera forums..

Mr.Foss

Hofmannhp
03-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi Foss,

refering to your pictures, I guess the mid driver is a LE75, this means that the system uses the S6 kit.

worth.....here I agree with the above postings .....about 800$ to 1200$.

...my two cents

HP

JBL Dog
03-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi Foss,

refering to your pictures, I guess the mid driver is a LE75, this means that the system uses the S6 kit.

worth.....here I agree with the above postings .....about 800$ to 1200$.

...my two cents

HP

:hmm:

You're probably looking at $1200 just for the blue LE15A's and blue LX5's. The market has been strong for a few years on both components.

Hofmannhp
03-26-2008, 03:46 PM
:hmm:

You're probably looking at $1200 just for the blue LE15A's and blue LX5's. The market has been strong for a few years on both components.

Hi Bob,

you may be right......but

a view to the LHF registry says:
LE15A with blue basket from 175$ sold to the US and up to 400$ to Korea (per piece)
LX5 in blue up to 275$.
The black LE75 are low priced with about 80 to 150$ in average.
The blue horn.......?

HP

JBL Dog
03-26-2008, 04:05 PM
Hi Bob,

you may be right......but

a view to the LHF registry says:
LE15A with blue basket from 175$ sold to the US and up to 400$ to Korea (per piece)
LX5 in blue up to 275$.
The black LE75 are low priced with about 80 to 150$ in average.
The blue horn.......?

HP

HP

In the last two years, I've seen LE15A's as high as $1250 pr. and LX5's as high as $700 pr. Things have settled down somewhat, but the market is still strong for those items. I've been watching these JBL components closely because I need both to complete a project. I made a huge mistake two summers ago getting outbid on a minty set of blue LE15's. My max was $400, they sold for $405. I thought that was high at the time. I was wrong.

:banghead:

Hofmannhp
03-26-2008, 04:19 PM
HP

In the last two years, I've seen LE15A's as high as $1250 pr. and LX5's as high as $700 pr. Things have settled down somewhat, but the market is still strong for those items. I've been watching these JBL components closely because I need both to complete a project. I made a huge mistake two summers ago getting outbid on a minty set of blue LE15's. My max was $400, they sold for $405. I thought that was high at the time. I was wrong.

:banghead:

ok Bob,
if this is the case, you can see that the registry hasn't tracked enough drivers.

BTW: the first blue LE15A have SN 1001, and the last about SN 5800 and all with the rectangular magnet.
If there is another info, pls let me know.

HP

Zilch
03-26-2008, 04:29 PM
So, LE75 used four bolts and a stubby horn, right?

Maybe SuperBEE should go check these out.... ;)

JBL Dog
03-26-2008, 04:58 PM

LE75 is a 1" exit driver that used a 3-bolt pattern.

JBL Dog
03-26-2008, 09:54 PM

I just took another look at the picture. That's a 375 mounted to a rare blue H93 horn. The 1962 JBL catalog shows this configuration as an S8 component package (LE15A, 375, H93, L91 and LX5). The value of this system is now in the neighbohood of $3K to $4K sold separately. WOWZER!

SUPERBEE
03-26-2008, 11:10 PM

I would be happy too. This guy first put these on CL for $1000 then pulled the ad and later and reposted them for $1500 both times NO ONE could come over and pay the money and buy them. Not sure what he is pulling but something is up

Foss40z
03-27-2008, 12:25 AM
w0w .. So superbee are you 1 of the 20 or 30 people that have been calling me nonstop? lol . they were posted not knowing what they were worth. So i came to these forums to get some Valuable information and so far im getting it. NO 1 I Repeat NO 1 is comming over to buy these speakers and pick them up until i finish my Research.

Driver serial numbers are 2791 and 2792 and are LE15A

and yes it is a 375 with h93 horn.

i can get the serial number for those aswell just have to climb inside the cabinet again because im not pulling those out lol..

p.s you guys forgot to mention these drivers weight a TON
p.s.p.s I have a 69 superbee with 426 hemi sitting in the garage lol

Mr.Foss

SUPERBEE
03-27-2008, 06:08 AM
I guess when you run 2 adds offering to sell a set of speakers people WILL call you????

Why would someone post a CL add to sell a set of speakers TWICE at a set price then both times not really sell them then come here fishing for information?

Just seems kinda odd.

PS.......I NEVER said I called you

PPS..... I have 2 Dodge Super Bees. A 1969 and a 1970

Foss40z
03-27-2008, 09:57 AM
just like the others who give me unusable advise about my pictures and how to use ebay. you are now a 3rd person who has unusable advise. allow me to explain so you stop gettin your panties in a bundle.

there was only 1 add posted. it was posted bye a family member of mine and he used my email and number because i handle the ebay and cl stuff. before i could get info on these speakers they got posted. i got about 15 calls and thought hmm maybe these are worth abit more so i raised the price to see how many more would call. in the process of raising the price i stumbled accross these forums and posted this topic. ( as you can see by the time and date from this topic and the edit on CL) where i gathered some serious information. and glad i came here cause i would have been and IDIOT to sell them for $1000-$1500... got it?

and yes they are still for sale because i am really moving and yes i have them in the other room right now where my father has had them for over 12-14 years. he is the 2nd owner.

any other useless questions superbee? want to buy them? name your price , if not then dont worry about it because your panties will only get dirty.

P.S Thank you Hofmannhp for registering the drivers . which he found are from 1963
Mr.Foss

grumpy
03-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Selling/Buying

Q: How much is (fill in the blank) worth?
A: Ebay can be a good indicator of current monetary value. This site is not
a replacement for doing your homework and knowing your market. Responses
you may receive are opinion only, but may be based on some level of
experience (don't get too disappointed or excited prematurely).

Q: I'm selling or buying some large speakers, how should they be packed to
reduce the chance of damage?
A: A multi-member contributed thread on the topic:
http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...ad.php?t=10246 (http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10246)
A: Another example of a well packed low-frequency transducer:
http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbull...ad.php?t=13469 (http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=13469)

Q: I have stuff for sale, who wants to buy it?
A: Specify a price or "make me an offer" and ask for responses via PM
(expect low offers)
State if/when sold or no longer for sale (for whatever reason).
Don't "threaten" to put it on Ebay... just do it.

JBL Dog
03-27-2008, 10:23 AM
:scold:

just like the others who give me unusable advise about my pictures and how to use ebay. you are now a 3rd person who has unusable advise. allow me to explain so you stop gettin your panties in a bundle.

there was only 1 add posted. it was posted bye a family member of mine and he used my email and number because i handle the ebay and cl stuff. before i could get info on these speakers they got posted. i got about 15 calls and thought hmm maybe these are worth abit more so i raised the price to see how many more would call. in the process of raising the price i stumbled accross these forums and posted this topic. ( as you can see by the time and date from this topic and the edit on CL) where i gathered some serious information. and glad i came here cause i would have been and IDIOT to sell them for $1000-$1500... got it?

and yes they are still for sale because i am really moving and yes i have them in the other room right now where my father has had them for over 12-14 years. he is the 2nd owner.

any other useless questions superbee? want to buy them? name your price , if not then dont worry about it because your panties will only get dirty.

P.S Thank you Hofmannhp for registering the drivers . which he found are from 1963
Mr.Foss

This is not necessary, Mr. Foss. You came here trolling for information and you got it. It's time to move on.

Foss40z
03-27-2008, 10:39 AM
sorry about that JBL Dog. thank you guys for the information i appreciate it.

Later

SUPERBEE
03-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Bingo!

It seems our new member Foss40z is the only one here with dirty or bundled panties.

I say "Adios"

:scold:

This is not necessary, Mr. Foss. You came here trolling for information and you got it. It's time to move on.