PDA

View Full Version : 034 PR in Mod'd L150

Regis
03-18-2004, 08:25 AM
Ever since I modified the L150's with the 2214's, I noticed an annoying buzz on the very low bass parts of the music from the right speaker (the left one hasn't had the crossover repaired yet and with the L-110's on top, it's not an urgent issue). I put my ear next to the 034 tweeter and I swear I felt air pushing out, the buzzing seemed to go away when I covered the screen with my hand. Last night my buddy found the tweeter to be the culprit as well, so we popped the screen off. Still buzzing, then we pushed on the plastic bezel and immediately the buzz went away. The other speaker still has the 033 with the metal bezel. It seems the cheapie, highly flexible 034 isn't a good component to run with a speaker that puts out some serious bass. You could actually feel the 034 trying to be a passive radiator as the whole tweeter was vibrating in sync with the output of the 2214H. The 033 wasn't doing that! I checked all the screws and allen bolts for tightness as well. I thought I'd transfer a metal plate from a spare 033 to the 034, but boy, did JBL change a bunch of stuff. I broke my second 034 last night disconnecting it. I needed a plug anyway, at least until I get an 033. The 034's went into the trash.

4313B
03-18-2004, 08:40 AM
Yep, I've mentioned that problem before on the forum. If I remember correctly several people didn't like my comments concerning the little "plastic" framed tweets and their propensity for acting like PR's. Whatever...

Chris Brown
10-27-2006, 12:48 PM
I’ve been experimenting with putting 034’s in my L150s (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=130935&postcount=4) and with the 034’s I do have the problem that is described above. I took the 034’s out and noticed that there is a gap between the magnet and the casing whereas on the 033’s there is no gap. While it sounds kinda ghetto, couldn’t I just fill the gap using a hot glue gun or something?

http://home.comcast.net/%7Egotnorice/IMG_1240.jpg

spkrman57
10-27-2006, 02:20 PM
The plastic cased tweeters can't take the pressure from the woofer. By sealing off the back end of the tweeter(same like with LE5 mids), you won't have the problem of the pressure from the woofer.

Hope this helps!

Regards, ron