PDA

View Full Version : L65 Jubal - looking for midrange cone kits

chilledspode
03-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Hi everyone,

The nice shop in Calgary that I have been dealing with, Speakers Only, just advised me that JBL Canada can no longer provide factory cone kits for the midranges (LE-5?) and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to secure a pair. I don't need them yet, but after 30years of use I expect the need will show up - sooner than later, so I might as well start looking now..

Cheers

Mark

lovethatsound
03-24-2008, 10:51 AM
eBay is a good gander. Or, you are right -- most people on here have multiples of stuff. Hope someone can help you.

Good Luck.

chilledspode
03-24-2008, 11:25 AM
I have a general distrust of ebay when looking for quality stuff - while not impossible to find on ebay, it is risky

Cheers

Mark

lovethatsound
03-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Have you tried www.audioclassics.com?

Or, augiogon.com?

Good luck in your search.

chilledspode
03-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Have you tried www.audioclassics.com? (http://www.audioclassics.com?)

Or, augiogon.com?

Good luck in your search.

Thanks for those suggestions - I am off to have a look and see what I can find (and try to stay on target and not get diverted into 'oooooo that's pretty' kind of stuff... :-)

Mark

badman
03-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks for those suggestions - I am off to have a look and see what I can find (and try to stay on target and not get diverted into 'oooooo that's pretty' kind of stuff... :-)

Mark

You may find that a lot of the LE5 out there have wide production variance. You want a pair that's matched both for Re and Qts, not to mention with the same design parameters (there are many versions of this driver).

I have a pair of LE5-2 that I will probably be putting up on ebay soon myself, though I'll happily give you the first shot at them. They do go for a chunk. And before I sell them, I need to test them. Best case, they have slightly different color cones, which is a dealbreaker for some people (though the rest of the construction is identical, including the paper composition).

vernb
03-26-2008, 04:52 PM
There are a complete pair of Jubals for sale here in Denmark right now. If I know what you will pay for the midranges, I dont mind buying the rest for DIY.

johnaec
03-26-2008, 06:47 PM
I have a pair of LE5-2 that I will probably be putting up on ebay soon myself, though I'll happily give you the first shot at them.)'Problem is that L65's use the significantly different LE5-5 version.

John

chilledspode
03-26-2008, 07:04 PM
A member PM'd me and has a pair of cone kits, meeting my exact requirements.

Thanks for your efforts all around

badman/vernb sorry I couldn't be part of a bigger play for you guys...

Cheers

Mark

John: thanks for the tidbit on LE-5 versions

timc
03-27-2008, 08:22 AM
'Problem is that L65's use the significantly different LE5-5 version.

John

I have been told that the only big difference between the Le5-2 and Le5-5 is that the "2" is 3db less efficient.

-Tim

johnaec
03-27-2008, 08:50 AM
I have been told that the only big difference between the Le5-2 and Le5-5 is that the "2" is 3db less efficient.According to the following matrix, that might not be correct. The biggest difference to me is that the -2 has the alnico magnet and -5 the ferrite.

John

badman
03-27-2008, 10:44 AM
According to the following matrix, that might not be correct. The biggest difference to me is that the -2 has the alnico magnet and -5 the ferrite.

John

There's also unit variance. For whatever reason, JBLs are notorious for variability in Re, which drives efficiency and other numbers. Indeed that's why I need to finish testing them before releasing them, I want the buyer to be happy and have a well-matched pair.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_L100.htm

60% of the way down the page, see the LE5 impedance comparison.