PDA

View Full Version : New LE14H-3 Surround Separated From Basket

allen mueller
03-23-2008, 02:02 PM
Today I finally got my LE14H-3 based 2 way going only to find that one of my LE14's surrounds had a bad section where the surround had come undone where it joins to the basket. A rattling noise during some tone sweeps led to the discovery.

I suspect the damage occurred in shipping to the speaker since the surround is against the box during shipping. Or maybe it was just a bad glue job from the beginning.

The section is about 3" that has separated.

I will call JBL tomorrow and see what can be done.

Allen

Andyoz
03-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Bummer.

I recall that a pair of new LE14H-3's I received weren't that well packed but the they did survive the transit. Not up the JBL's usual standards

Zilch
03-23-2008, 03:12 PM
Yup. They gotta be reglued. Accelerator, yada, yada.

Had to carefully inspect all in the latest shipment here.... :yes:

allen mueller
03-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks, I'll give them a call tomorrow.

In this situation dose any one know if they would have me send the driver back, or refer me to a local center for the work?

Allen

Zilch
03-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Tell them you want your local authorized service center to do the repair under warranty, and you'll likely have to be sure that they get technical assistance as to the proper glue and procedure to get it done right.

The problem seems to be getting a secure bond to that uneven painted surface.

You know how the driver was shipped to you. What are the chances of it making two more trips like that?

Unless JBL inspects and reworks the existing stock, from my experience, chances are pretty high a replacement may have the same problem.

varice
03-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Bummer, indeed. Sorry to hear that you have a bad one. I recently got a couple of these drivers. They were not packed very well for shipping. I did a quick visual inspection and signal test before I stored them for latter use. I will have to give them a much better check now. Please keep us up to date on how your problem is resolved.

Zilch - sounds to me like you have seen this problem with more than one of the new batch of drivers. If so, please give us more details!

Andyoz
03-27-2008, 03:59 PM
"Varice", I think I bought mine around the same time as you. I can safely say that mine work fine and I've given them a good workout with the Bryston :):)

allen mueller
03-28-2008, 06:00 PM
Sent back and am getting a new one. One little problem, they will not have any untill some time in May.

Allen

opimax
03-29-2008, 07:01 AM
I too have 2 14-3s. They were checked out by a a well respected forum member before purchase form him, no issue. He made a comment at the time at the poor boxing/shipping which JBL started using. I am rechecking mine now...they are ok. They have been pushed a little a couple times, seem to be holding up fine :applaud:

Mark