PDA

View Full Version : My quest is over!

oznob
03-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Sadly and with a heavy heart, I must announce my quest is over! I have the last pair of main speakers I will ever own! It's true, I'm not kidding, I found them! No more checking ebay, Audiogon, Craigslist, newspapers, I'm DONE, FINISHED! No more 400 mile drives, no more worrying about how bad they will be damaged when the gorillas at Fedex and UPS are done with them. It's over, Fini, the end, see ya! The S3100's are here to stay!

Bi-amped them using a Denon AVR 4802R receiver for the top end and pre-amp, B&K 4420 takes care of the the bottom. I still can't belive the sound from them once I gave them some real quality power! They are keepers!

I've got every room covered, even the garage. Now what am I going to do?:dont-know

4313B
03-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Sadly and with a heavy heart, I must announce my quest is over!I'd be ecstatic if I were you. I think it's great that you've found a really nice pair of loudspeakers that you can enjoy.

oznob
03-22-2008, 05:32 PM
I'd be ecstatic if I were you. I think it's great that you've found a really nice pair of loudspeakers that you can enjoy.

I know, I am very, very happy but, the search sure was fun!:yes: The "WAF" is very positive, and important, with them too. That certainly was not the case with the 4430's, and 250ti's!:no:

subwoof
03-22-2008, 05:45 PM
There was a cartoon in a stereo mag where the customer is saying the exact same thing as he's wheeling his purchase out the door only to have the delivery guy bring in the same model with the infamous "MKII" on the box....

As for the rest of the house, there's always quad....another 70's joke.

:)

oznob
03-22-2008, 06:13 PM
There was a cartoon in a stereo mag where the customer is saying the exact same thing as he's wheeling his purchase out the door only to have the delivery guy bring in the same model with the infamous "MKII" on the box....

As for the rest of the house, there's always quad....another 70's joke.

:)

There is a S3100 MKII:hmm:

Rolf
03-23-2008, 12:36 AM
Hi. I almost have it the same way ... but just for the speakers. After I got my 4343B's in the house I am very pleased with the sound I have.

I have been listening to new constructions, very expensive speakers up to about 60 - 100K US$, and they sound different, but are the better? I am not so sure. Not in my ears anyway.

The last improvements (I believe) I will do is to wait for the charge coupled networks for my speakers, as many have said it is worth it, and some better loudspeaker cables. When this is done, I believe I can be happy with my system the rest of my life. Amps, processors I have is more than good enough.

So, congratulations to you. :applaud:Listen and have fun with your system, and stay on here and tell us every time you find something new in your sound.

Regards

Sadly and with a heavy heart, I must announce my quest is over! I have the last pair of main speakers I will ever own! It's true, I'm not kidding, I found them! No more checking ebay, Audiogon, Craigslist, newspapers, I'm DONE, FINISHED! No more 400 mile drives, no more worrying about how bad they will be damaged when the gorillas at Fedex and UPS are done with them. It's over, Fini, the end, see ya! The S3100's are here to stay!

Bi-amped them using a Denon AVR 4802R receiver for the top end and pre-amp, B&K 4420 takes care of the the bottom. I still can't belive the sound from them once I gave them some real quality power! They are keepers!

I've got every room covered, even the garage. Now what am I going to do?:dont-know

clmrt
03-23-2008, 05:44 AM
There is a S3100 MKII:hmm:
http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/jbl/specs/home-speakers/1998-s3100mkii.htm:D

johnaec
03-23-2008, 08:48 AM
'Looks like the main difference in the MKII is the 275ND neodymium driver instead of the 2426H...

John

AltecLansingFan
03-23-2008, 09:38 AM

Already listened to the JBL K2 S9800 ?
If you do that, I think I can find your S3100's pretty soon on Ebay. :hmm:

brutal
03-23-2008, 09:43 AM

Vintage Audio Equipment Quest! WooHoo :D

oznob
03-23-2008, 10:07 AM
'Looks like the main difference in the MKII is the 275ND neodymium driver instead of the 2426H...

John

Hi John,

Aside from the woofers mounting to the cabinets with clamps, the only other main difference I see is the crossovers in the MKII are charge coupled. I'm not quite sure how much of a difference that makes in the sound but it appears to be a popular modification. I like them a lot as they are, for now at least! I'm sure they don't go as low as the 4430's but, from what EDGE explained to me, they are two completely different animals designed for different markets and applications. It's hard to beat those 2235H's! I do like the asymmetrical horn's performance in my room. Better imaging and soundstage than the 4430 as I remember, although, my auditory memory is kind of short. Maybe I'll drag them down to your place sometime and we can do an A/B! Hell, they are only 125 lbs a piece! I'll bring the hand truck and the Red Tail Ale!

oznob
03-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Already listened to the JBL K2 S9800 ?
If you do that, I think I can find your S3100's pretty soon on Ebay. :hmm:

Heard the K2's at CES a few years ago and was completely impressed! If we are talking about price per performance, I'll hang on to the 3100's. The K2's are a few $$$ out of my price range!:yes:

edgewound
03-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Congrats oznob,

Now you can sit back and enjoy your find. Especially at that price...what a great find!

Now just drop in some TAD drivers....lmfao!!!:D...

....then you'll be done.

4313B
03-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Now just drop in some TAD drivers....lmfao!!!:D...

....then you'll be done.Yep, swapping in TAD drivers fixes everything. :thmbsup:

Titanium Dome
03-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Now you can sit back and enjoy your find. Especially at that price...what a great find!

Sound advice and, IMO, the only way you're likely to find something someday you like better is to be supremely happy with what you've got.

Anyone can be continually dissatisfied and constantly looking for better. That usually results in lots of brief ecstasy followed by deep disappointment.

It's the satisfied man or woman who suddenly has that significant awareness that "here is something that is even better than what I already have."

johnaec
03-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Maybe I'll drag them down to your place sometime and we can do an A/B! Hell, they are only 125 lbs a piece! I'll bring the hand truck and the Red Tail Ale!Kool! I've got a little more space, now that my 4315A's are on their way to another forum member. ;)

If you're serious, (don't do it for my satisfaction), I'm up for it. Maybe an over-nighter for you, and invite some of the local members to drop by.

It would be interesting doing a direct, side by side comparison with the 4430's, especially since the HF driver is virtually the same. It would really illustrate any differences between the horns. We could do some good LF comparisons also, and possibly glean some info from the RTA.

John

oznob
03-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Sound advice and, IMO, the only way you're likely to find something someday you like better is to be supremely happy with what you've got.

Anyone can be continually dissatisfied and constantly looking for better. That usually results in lots of brief ecstasy followed by deep disappointment.

It's the satisfied man or woman who suddenly has that significant awareness that "here is something that is even better than what I already have."

Very well said gentlemen and sound advice! One of my flaws is I have always been a "grass is greener" kind of guy when it comes to audio stuff, especially speakers. It's nice to be assured by those who I respect greatly that being happy with what you have is worth much more than longing for what you don't!

Now that the philosophy session is over, I'm gonna open a S N Pale Ale, put on some Robben Ford, and wait for the grandkids to get here for the egg hunt!:cheers:

oznob
03-23-2008, 02:06 PM
Kool! I've got a little more space, now that my 4315A's are on their way to another forum member. ;)

If you're serious, (don't do it for my satisfaction), I'm up for it. Maybe an over-nighter for you, and invite some of the local members to drop by.

It would be interesting doing a direct, side by side comparison with the 4430's, especially since the HF driver is virtually the same. It would really illustrate any differences between the horns. We could do some good LF comparisons also, and possibly glean some info from the RTA.

John

That would be a blast John if we could pull it off and I'm game! My wife and I are in the process of selling our house, great time to do that, and packing to move so it may be towards the middle of May or so? April is pretty much shot for me. My main question is, will "The Zilch Mobile" make it accross The Bay? Maybe we should have a tow truck on standby?:p

johnaec
03-23-2008, 08:20 PM
...the middle of May or so? April is pretty much shot for me.Anytime works for me. Let's keep in touch on it. :)

John

oznob
03-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Anytime works for me. Let's keep in touch on it. :)

John

Sounds good to me John, will do!