PDA

View Full Version : JBL "Utility" speakers ok for practice PA?

barkingdog
03-20-2008, 02:24 PM
I realize that the forum is not really about "professional" products typically but I'm not familiar with the JBL "Utility" family of speakers and I'm hoping at least one member has an interest in or is familiar with this JBL PA gear series.

My home studio doubles as a practice space for various music projects I'm involved in. I have been using custom built PA speakers that are a) overkill for such a small space and b) ugly and c) need to be lugged back upstairs for gigs. I saw a pair of JBL 4652 "utility" speakers for sale and after looking at the components and specs I think they would be perfect as "permanent" practice PA speakers. They are in a relatively small cabinet (smaller than my 4312's) with a 2022H 12" bass driver and a 2416H HF driver. There's "flying" hardware already built into the cabinet and they're more "attractive" (i.e. more acceptable to the spousal unit) because of the vynil wood grain laminate. Any opinions? My concern is that "utility" translates to "cheap" which translates to "sounds awful" although I do see them listed in professional theaters as part of the sound reinforcement systems. They don't have to sound amazing since they're just mainly to run vocals and maybe acoustic guitar through for practice. Besides, I'll probably pair them with some custom EV 15 cabinets that were built for another project but never used (active crossover, seperate amp; these would reside on the floor and therefore be out of sight lines; they also haven't been laminated yet so they could be verneered to look something like the 4652's).

So, for the short version of my post .... is anyone who is involved in using professional systems familiar with the 4652 utility speaker and what would you say about it in terms of my desired applicaiton?

Thanks!

subwoof
03-20-2008, 03:41 PM
The 4652's are an excellent "utility" speaker with a few drawbacks. The crossover is minimal. if you were to biamp at 1200hz you would have better control. The speaker is almost the same as the MR825.

Also the HF driver's diaphram is a sealed back $$ type that will NOT withstand heat build up so it is fine for low duty cycle music but would be a problem with sustained loud vocal use. I suggest replacing it with a 2426H/J

Finally the woofer is a thin paper, high efficiency woofer that will not deliver deep bass and in fact might break up if too much were applied. Leave the kick out.

In short, maybe. Spending a little more on a used pair of 4725 or 4726's would be better BUT if you can avoid playing rock star for 300 people, they should work out well..

The hardware is 3/8-24 thread and eyebolts for those are major league expensive and NOT a home depot item.

sub

SMKSoundPro
03-20-2008, 04:56 PM
DItto!

I have installed many different utility speakers from JBL and others.

I have looked at these 4652's on the Bay, and know that I can build a better box. The box is particle board with a vinyl oak looking contact paper kind of coating. The corners will get beat up just sitting there! I have 4722's that are basically the same as these. 2204 and 2416 on a biradial horn.

NOW, I am building some 4725 style of boxes for the small dance floor that will use a 2225 - 15" and 2425/2370 horn combo. I believe this box is much more suited to a live band practice monitors. People use them everyday, and if you notice other manufacturers, they are VERY copied in style and driver combo.

Think how many 15 & horn driver combination speakers are out there. MILLIONS! That being said... just buy JBL. They were the leader in 2-way pro PA rigs when I was starting out.

I built a small rig for my partner and his band PA duties with a 4722 on top of the SR4718x single 18 sub. We did it 3-way with Mackie amps from the bar back stock. He has a great little rig that just works and fits easily in the back of my Town&Country wagon.

Hope this helps.

Scotty.

ps. Just grab a pair of G2 Eons and call it a day!

subwoof
03-20-2008, 06:30 PM
Not so fast eskimo boy...:) No particle board here at all.

The 4652 and 4655 are made of 3/4" 11 ply birch and have GOOD joinery and certified hardware for all kinds of apps. A real sleeper in the JBL line...

The porting is a pair of triangular cutouts on the baffle BUT enlarging with a simple 2.5" holesaw will allow you to put in PVC ports with a little RTV filler.

JBL sold a "upgrade" kit for the MR series and that would give you a NEW crossover with "lightbulb" protection and a standard input plate. Designed for that SAME horn and driver but with the ribbed paper 2025H rather than the 2022H that is in the 4652.

I stripped off the plastic on 2 and veneered them with walnut / solid walnut trim to make a pair of speakers for a friends lakeside cabin. Nice and rustic but I installed the 1000W car sub cones and the array 2332/2450SL...PUNCH PUNCH..

sub

barkingdog
03-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the responses.

I didn't try to buy the 4652's that were listed on eBay. I decided to go another route that doesn't require further $$.

Over the last couple of years I've been gathering components for a 4-way system equipped like a 4343. I have 2405's, 2426J's (w/ 2344's, was going to use H91 w/lenses but changed my mind), 2123H's and 2235H's at this point. I have a couple of "bottom boxes" built for what were supposed to be "loose" clones of EV S1503's that were to serve as practice PA. So I think I'll move up the construction of the upper JBL cabinets (2405/2426/2344/2123) and couple them with the EV bottoms. I'll keep the 2235H's for when the system will be re-engaged for home theater purposes. I would think the upper boxes can handle the volumes I'm looking for. If they start to complain, I may revert to something simpler. The system will be powered by 3 Bryston 4B's, 1 3B and 1 2B, Active ASHLY crossover. For aesthetic purposes, I can verneer all the cabinets the same.

Of course, now I'll have to put another post asking for design suggestions of the upper cabinets .....

SMKSoundPro
03-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Subwoof,

Mea Culpa.