PDA

View Full Version : Neutrik Speakon Connectors vs. the Rest

georgebrooke
03-20-2008, 05:39 AM
Hi,
I am in the middle of (too) many rebuilds. I have got to the point of considering the connectors and I really like the approach of the Speakon robust and solid connectors.
However, they do not seem to discuss gold plating (or any other kind of plating), so what I am wondering is whether these connectors are really only useful in the Pro sound arena or whether they work for HiFi too?
Does anyone have any experience or advice on the use of these connectors in the home? :blink:

Chas
03-20-2008, 10:04 AM
My two cents worth is that they work great for home hi-fi. I love them.

1audiohack
03-20-2008, 10:08 AM
I have used them for over two years in everything I own and they are GREAT! Absolutely no complaints.

boputnam
03-20-2008, 01:04 PM
I too have used them in various settings. They are reliable and have become the standard in pro. They give a larger connection surface area than some, and are certainly more secure than almost all others.

Neutrik makes good stuff. Period.

Allanvh5150
03-20-2008, 01:30 PM
I have used neutrik for years in the pro world. They have always made great connectors. However, for home use where the gear is setup and pulled down on a less regular basis, most of the time I prefer the old bare wire and screw terminal. Just looks a bit more vintage which is what I like. Saying that, a neutrik speakon is super reliable and you will never have a problem with one in the home.:)

georgebrooke
03-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Well, that appears to be unanimous... Speakon it is from now on, so no more of those over priced gold-plated connectors that work loose.

Thanks for the advice one and all

George

rs237
03-20-2008, 02:31 PM
A wise decision.
High quality for less money.:applaud:

regards
juergen

SMKSoundPro
03-20-2008, 04:39 PM
(Make sure you also read the reviews!!!)

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=181-902&vReviewShow=1&vReviewRand=4934326#reviews

Please read all of the hype and just use good quality connectors! Speakon and real Neutrik are the real deal.

But as you can see by the link above, anyone will take your money! Suckers are born everyday, and the "audiophile" is no different.

I am just blown away by the prices these manufacturers charge for some of the most basic stuff!!!

There are a million examples, I know, and I am trying to show just one.

Keep it simple!!!

Scotty.

boputnam
03-20-2008, 05:44 PM
I am just blown away by the prices these manufacturers charge for some of the most basic stuff!!! OT, but worthy of discussion.

Parts Express has some of the best pricing, and their inventory is pretty deep - they had in-stock the NL4MP-ST that everyone else was B/O on, and I could not afford any wait. Now I have a weekend full of making patch panels...

But do shop around. Full Compass is a great resource, too.

Lately, I've found Neutrik connectors in-bulk on eBay, too - at best prices.

Mike Caldwell
03-31-2008, 06:26 AM
Count my late vote for the Speakon connector, I have over 200 of them and no problems. A few of them are the first version with the blue plastic locking ring instead of the the metal locking/release catch. They also have a heavier duty version of the chassis and cable end connectors. I remember as well seeing a gold plated contact version.

Mike Caldwell

Mr. Widget
03-31-2008, 08:13 AM
The only downside that I can see in using them in a home install is the depth required behind your amps. In many cases you simply don't have the extra couple of inches that they require if you are putting the equipment in a small rack or in a shelving system.

Widget

Mike Caldwell
03-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Another good source is Markertek and BTX.

Mike Caldwell

grumpy
03-31-2008, 10:10 AM
there is a 90deg version. I've not had to resort to that (yet). :)

w/ speakers, I've used an angled jack panel dish
to help with the protrusion issue on the other end (less likely to get whacked
or cable snagged).

SMKSoundPro
03-31-2008, 12:50 PM
In my speaker building project, I used these dishes to alleviate the problem of the connector sticking so far out of the back. They worked great!

Scott.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=262-838