PDA

View Full Version : Question about S38

FredEmmerich
03-16-2008, 09:43 PM
Does the S38 need to be set in any particular orientation? Would laying horizontal vs. vertical make any difference in sound?

thanks
Fred

brutal
03-16-2008, 10:51 PM
AFAIK, they're designed for either orientation. They have such a small footprint, I run mine horizontal on bookshelves. They drivers are clustered tightly enough that it shouldn't matter.

Rusnzha
03-17-2008, 01:36 AM
They are also mirror imaged so they will most definitely work either way. The one thing that might change a little is the tweeter. The EOS waveguide gives more horizontal dispersion when the box is horizontal and more vertical dispersion when the box is vertical. I play mine vertical and keep them well aimed.

hjames
08-07-2008, 08:35 AM
I've got a chance to grab a set of S38 speakers, actually to choose between 2 sets ...
Both are in that darned black ash finish, and both feature a set of stands, which are also black.
Both claim to be in excellent condition, tho I haven't seen them yet.

One set is a matched pair of S38 II, and one is a pair of S38 including a center (as yet unseen).

Thoughts, comments?

I thought they might be an upgrade for my existing L20Ts in the rear/surround position, perhaps be a better match for the LC2 Center I just got.

bigyank
08-07-2008, 09:13 AM
I owned a pair of S38II's for about 2 years. I used them for 2 channel stereo and had them on sand filled stands (26" off the ground).

They reproduced well but no real bass IMO, to speak of. :)

Yank

hjames
08-07-2008, 10:47 AM
I owned a pair of S38II's for about 2 years. I used them for 2 channel stereo and had them on sand filled stands (26" off the ground).

They reproduced well but no real bass IMO, to speak of. :)

Yank
Cool - so I'll assume for $100 they are probably fine for rears/surrounds, assuming Bass goes to subs and fronts.

Thanks for the info!

Rusnzha
08-07-2008, 01:05 PM
They make nice surround speakers with the S412s up front. It's hard to say how they will mate up with your front speakers, but they are sure worth a try. They have decent bass for their size, maybe not quite as much as an L46 due to the smaller box, but close to that. The center that was made to go with them is the S-Center, which I can't recommend, but you can get a few bucks for them on E-Pay.

Titanium Dome
08-07-2008, 01:55 PM
I know it seems counter-intuitive, but I'd buy the S38 over the S38II. The S38II (and other S Series II units) is the result of litigation brought by Bose against the design of the S38.

Rusnzha
08-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Bose sucks! :barf: I know that the series 2 drivers cost a lot less, what else was changed?

BMWCCA
08-07-2008, 02:18 PM
There was quite a bit of discussion of this model here a year or so ago, as I recall. I remember reading this impressive review at that time.

http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/365/

Titanium Dome
08-07-2008, 02:19 PM
The biggest bone of contention was the port architecture. JBL and Infinity had to change the shape of the tube and pay royalties and damages to Bose of $8.3 million.

JBL also changed out the tweeter, redesigned the plastic baffle plate/waveguide assembly, and modified minor elements of the other drivers, such as cone color.

Titanium Dome
08-07-2008, 02:23 PM
I guess I should add that IMO the changes resulted in a somewhat less impressive speaker.

JBobL
08-07-2008, 02:57 PM
I had 2 pair of S38II and an S centerII for a 5.1 rig setup mostly for gaming with HT as 2nd objective. They worked very well for HT though now that I have heard better the S center had an uncomfortable sound with deep voices even with 80 crossover. Always thought it was the DJs mic to close to his mouth but that changed when I bought an LC2. Much better. I used the S38IIs for surrounds and back surrounds later after getting L890s for mains and the S38II worked excellent as surrounds for HT! Eventually replaced them with L820s (only because I gotta good deal on them!) and now the S38IIs and ScenterII are back to a gaming rig. :) I think they sound pretty good though I've never heard the original S38s and would rather keep the IIs than sell them.

hjames
08-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Local Craigslist ads - turned out the first seller had S38IIs also, with the S center and (2) stands. But they sounded good for the money and play well as surrounds. The S-center? Maybe I can sell/trade that, tho I haven't had any interest in the EC25 was trying tell sell ...

I had been watching L830 prices on the bay but just couldn't justify $200+ for a pair plus shipping when these were half that.

Anyway, thanks for the info everybody!

JBobL
08-08-2008, 01:42 PM
I have the L830s also, I wouldn't use them (as mains) with anything but the L810 and LC1. They sound slightly horny or something compared to the 4way L (from lacking a mid range speaker?). They may work great as surrounds, I preferred the S38IIs though as surrounds. :) Spent the spring experimenting with many combos of S seriesII, 3 and 4way L. :)

hjames
08-08-2008, 05:36 PM
My Bad, I meant the L-820s - I had been bidding on 820s but once they passed $160 it was more than I wanted to go for rear surrounds. Sorry - L series numbering scheme is ... odd 830 is a 3 way (looks kind of like the S38s), 820 is wall mounted 4 way ...
Anyway, the S38 IIs have a bass punch lacking in the L20Ts - really sounds like a step up!

I have the L830s also, I wouldn't use them (as mains) with anything but the L810 and LC1. They sound slightly horny or something compared to the 4way L (from lacking a mid range speaker?). They may work great as surrounds, I preferred the S38IIs though as surrounds. :) Spent the spring experimenting with many combos of S seriesII, 3 and 4way L. :)

brutal
08-10-2008, 01:54 PM
IMHO, the S38's will spank the L20T's ... Much tighter and less boomy bass. Much less roll off on the high end. Great for a surround setup. Good for a modest 2-channel in a small/spare room.

bone215
08-12-2008, 07:48 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with my S38's. I thought for the money spent they were very good speakers. I combined them with 2 S120II subs, one under each, they were very good.

I thought they loaded better into my room horizontally placed, with the tweeters and midrange speakers facing in rather than out.

Good Luck.

hjames
08-13-2008, 05:14 PM
IMHO, the S38's will spank the L20T's ... Much tighter and less boomy bass. Much less roll off on the high end. Great for a surround setup. Good for a modest 2-channel in a small/spare room.

I agree - they are working great as rear-surrounds - (using the L60Ts as pedestals) I was very impressed with them while doing the SACD and DVD-A discs off the Oppo - very nice speakers!

BMWCCA
08-13-2008, 05:36 PM
IMHO, the S38's will spank the L20T's.I would be shocked, shocked I say, if a JBL 8" 3-way in a much larger box didn't produce better sound than a tiny JBL 6.5" 2-way. Go pick on someone your own size! ;) I like the little L20Ts.

Let's compare the L5 to the S38-II now. :applaud:

hjames
08-13-2008, 06:39 PM
I would be shocked, shocked I say, if a JBL 8" 3-way in a much larger box didn't produce better sound than a tiny JBL 6.5" 2-way. Go pick on someone your own size! ;) I like the little L20Ts.

Let's compare the L5 to the S38-II now. :applaud:

Yeah, but I have to remind you - the S38 IIs are a bit heavy to hang from the ceiling, tho the li'l L20s do that job fine ...
We haven't decided which are gonna do back surround duty - the L20ts are neat and out of the way, the S38s sound way better, the L5? - dunno, don't have any of them yet ... got spares?? ;)

besides, you'd like this deal - I saw the S38s on Craigslist last week, with stands (pedestals) and the matched center speaker for $## ... and I didn't really need yet another center (black ash too).

So on Sunday, the ebay sale for my old EC25 was an hour from ending so almost as an afterthought I snapped some pictures of the S II Center and posted it $19.95 or $# BIN. When I check back an hour later, both had sold! I was quite happy with the BIN price!

Plus, I got $## for my old Beech EC25, so that made the Cherry LC2 I ebayed recently for $1## a good deal too!

Can't complain - not quite free but certainly a reasonable upgrade price!

Now I just need to sell those L60Ts, and keep the L20ts for spares ...eh?

BMWCCA
08-13-2008, 06:59 PM
Whew! I'm gonna have to sell my kids, quit my job, move to the land of the traffic snarl, and hang out on Craig's List and Ebay all day long! The fuel-savings alone will be just like an income. You go, Heather! The land of opportunity, fer sure. Us bottom feeders got to hang together.
:nutz:

BMWCCA
08-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Heather, I just ran across this old thread while looking for one of mine. So, have you tried your S38s naked?

No, no; the SPEAKERS! ;)

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=9337

hjames
08-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Heather, I just ran across this old thread while looking for one of mine. So, have you tried your S38s naked?

No, no; the SPEAKERS! ;)

Not yet, guess i can try that tonight when Emma goes to speaker with her nun ... I'll be home alone and I can run the system up to 11 !!!!!!!!!!!

he he he -
Well, they are connected as rear surrounds and i need to take them upstairs to really give them a shake down on the old yamaha receiver. We currently have Emma's old speakers (Optimus STS-1000s) hooked up in the living room system instead of the L200 'customs" - they sound much better than I thought!

hjames
08-28-2008, 06:51 PM

No, no; the SPEAKERS! ;)

Vanity pictures showing them in the media room, but, I did bring them upstairs and had them set up on the Yamaha CR-1020 receiver - they were awesome!
We rolled the L200 3ways into a back room and put the S38s on the L60Ts, used them as pedestals.
Tried some Alabama 3, Van Morrison, Dire Straits, Boz Scaggs (Dig) -
Nice sound, unbelieveable bass for such small boxes!
That was the first time I'd run them as Mains ... Highly recommended!

I had posted the L60Ts in Craigslist on Sunday and I did a quick ad for them almost as an afterthought - trying to clear some room -
after a few emails this week first guy that came and listened. They were perfect (no dented domes!) - after a few tunes he just offered me $10 under my asking price and bought them with the pedestals ... everybody was happy!

When I bought them a month or so back I got a 3 way set - and I'd sold the S-Center (and my old EC-35) on ebay about 3 weeks ago
... that paid for the LC2 I got back then.
Tonight's sale paid for the Cherry L820s I just got! :D

Now if I can just sell the L60Ts ...

Titanium Dome
08-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Those S38IIs look really nice. They were the next-to-last JBL 8" traditional three-way bookshelf (woofer, midrange, tweeter). The E50s (see mine below) were the last, but the S38 had a superior 1" Ti tweeter compared to the E50's 3/4" Ti laminate. :biting:

The Performance Series PT800 is an 8" three-way as well, but hardly traditional and not even intended to be a standalone bookshelf. It's meant to be supplemented with a subwoofer.

The S38/E50 cabinet design is a good one, and provides an excellent foundation for a very nice three-way sound.

brutal
08-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Some old pics of my S38's.

When I first got these, I auditioned them first with a Judas Priest LP. Almost made my ears bleed...

Up until last week, when I swapped in a new HT receiver, they had been performing the lowly duty of front "presence" speakers for some Yamaha DSP modes rarely used. Those duties are now relegated to my 18Ti's (I know, what a waste.) Now if I can just get setup with a JBL center to match the 250Ti's and 18Ti's, I'd have consistent vintage JBL voicing across the front.

I'm considering pulling out the L80t's I'm using in the bedroom HT setup and putting these in place, just for the space saving. With a recent sub addition, I don't think I'd miss the L80t's.

hjames
08-30-2008, 07:01 AM
Those S38IIs look really nice. They were the next-to-last JBL 8" traditional three-way bookshelf (woofer, midrange, tweeter). The E50s (see mine below) were the last, but the S38 had a superior 1" Ti tweeter compared to the E50's 3/4" Ti laminate. :biting:

The Performance Series PT800 is an 8" three-way as well, but hardly traditional and not even intended to be a standalone bookshelf. It's meant to be supplemented with a subwoofer.

The S38/E50 cabinet design is a good one, and provides an excellent foundation for a very nice three-way sound.

Well, I'll be honest - I got the L820s in on Thursday - and last night I hooked them up to the Yamaha upstairs as standalone speakers.
Tried the same tracks I'd played for the buyer the other night -
Big anticlimax!
I suppose the high end is fine and I'm sure they're fine for surrounds - but I miss the bottom and just all around good sound of those S38 IIs.

Next time there is a pair for sale I'm going to buy them and sell off the L820s for what I paid for them ...

I'd go for the coppery coloured S38 version Is - but no one is selling them locally

doucanoe
09-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Here are a couple pics of my S38BE's. I think that these are one of those speakers that you either realy like or really dislike from an asthetic standpoint.

I happen to like their look and am very pleased with the sound of them. I am not always a fan of reasonably inexpensive three ways, but these impress.

RC

JBobL
09-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I think the L820s, with the 6" woofer, was intended for use as a surround speaker instead of bookshelf that might see use as mains. I used S38IIs for mains in a HT/gaming rig with S38IIs as surrounds in 5.1. Replaced it all with L890s and L820s. Kept the S38II 5.1 rig for gaming/ music.

Titanium Dome
09-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Here are a couple pics of my S38BE's. I think that these are one of those speakers that you either realy like or really dislike from an asthetic standpoint.

I happen to like their look and am very pleased with the sound of them. I am not always a fan of reasonably inexpensive three ways, but these impress.

RC

I think the coppery cones go better in the light cabinets, while the silvery ones go better in the black.

hjames
09-13-2008, 10:04 PM
So - I sold off those L820s on ebay for basically what I paid for them, and tonight Emma and I drove to Manassas and picked up a pair of S38 IIs in "Cherry" - no pedestals, but they look nice and have that fantastic sound the last set (black ash) had ... kinda late now, but I'll crank the Yamaha tomorrow and give them a workout!
Got them sitting on some L60t speakers as pedestals right now in the upstairs room -
but my plan is they'll be the rear surrounds in the TV room - and very good all around spares when I need something else.

Thanks again for the tips, y'all!

Well, I'll be honest - I got the L820s and didn't care for them. I suppose the high end is fine and I'm sure they're fine for surrounds - but I miss the bottom and just all around good sound of those S38 IIs.

BMWCCA
10-26-2021, 01:19 PM
I told my wife it’s not my fault if someone two-miles away lists interesting JBLs on Craigslist for short money.

And so I’ve added a pair of one-owner S38BEs to my live-comparison library. One tiny corner chip short of perfect. He was replacing them with a JBL soundbar through some version of brand-loyalty I’ll never understand. Listening to them now in the temporary location of the “library” where they are astounding me with their imaging ability creating a startlingly wide soundstage using L7s as stands too far apart to do what they are doing with no effort. Sitting in a Poang and listening to Joshua Judges Ruth and thinking about a listening session ages ago at the home of “Fred Sanford” with Heather and other friends thinking these would have done well up against the L96 in our small 3-way shoot-out. Those were the good ol’ days.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51632283170_e70f39e1e6_b.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51631630318_85f2d7a91e_b.jpg
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/blob:http://www.audioheritage.org/ed4718e3-6416-4228-a386-5f3fd8d65d88

hjames
10-27-2021, 11:11 AM
Yep - had the original S38s at one point - sold them, and later on got another pair, maybe the S38 IIs, and the 2nd series didn't have the same magic.
Looks like you got the better model with the copper cones.
Nice collection, my friend!

I told my wife it’s not my fault if someone two-miles away lists interesting JBLs on Craigslist for short money.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51631630318_85f2d7a91e_b.jpg
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/blob:http://www.audioheritage.org/ed4718e3-6416-4228-a386-5f3fd8d65d88

BMWCCA
10-27-2021, 05:54 PM
Yep - had the original S38s at one point - sold them, and later on got another pair, maybe the S38 IIs, and the 2nd series didn't have the same magic.
Looks like you got the better model with the copper cones.
Nice collection, my friend!
In re-reading this thread it doesn't appear that you ever had the original S38BE—but did have the IIs a couple of times. Looking forward to seeing what you think of these, someday.

Just got my 3rd Moderna shot (booster) yesterday. Will the world ever get back to something like normal?

hjames
10-28-2021, 05:29 AM
Well, I did have a pair of the copper coned S38s at some point, perhaps I just didn't post them here ...
I think the BE meant Beech finish, CH was cherry - looks like all they do these days is the Black finish ... :(

Got my 3rd Pfizer at Safeway on the 11th, Emma got hers a week later -
The festival folks cancelled the Highland Games in Richmond this year too -
would've been this weekend (29-31st) -
so, no meat pies or live bagpipes for us this year!

In re-reading this thread it doesn't appear that you ever had the original S38BE—but did have the IIs a couple of times. Looking forward to seeing what you think of these, someday.

Just got my 3rd Moderna shot (booster) yesterday. Will the world ever get back to something like normal?

1audiohack
10-28-2021, 06:15 AM
....Will the world ever get back to something like normal?

All systems go here. We had between 450,000 and 500,000 people here at the speedway for the Electric Daisy Carnival or EDC last weekend in what is always a 3 day and night hygienic travesty.

People watching at its best! :)

Barry.

markd51
10-29-2021, 07:09 AM
My cousin has a pair of the original S-38 and about 2 months ago I did check the Woofer Screws to insure they were snug. They weren't bad in that regard. No means to do anything about the Mounting Plate for the Mid-Tweeter though.

They look like screws, but aren't. Did they possibly only glue in this Mounting Plate to the Enclosure?

But having a hell of a time trying to find him a Speaker Stand that is decent yet won't break the bank.

He spotted a small pair of tubular steel stands a couple weeks ago at a audio repair store that he liked, but the owner of the shop had no idea what brand they were? They were sort of like a cheapo lighter clone of a Sound Anchor Stand.

BMWCCA
10-29-2021, 05:22 PM
But having a hell of a time trying to find him a Speaker Stand that is decent yet won't break the bank.
:) Heather used L60Ts for stands. I'm currently using L7s, though they are a little too tall. I have a spare pair of L80Ts that might work very well as stands for the S38. I'm probably not even kidding!

BMWCCA
09-06-2022, 07:24 PM
Got my 3rd Pfizer at Safeway on the 11th, Emma got hers a week later -Got my FIFTH Moderna today, the new bivalent booster designed for Omicron.
Still liking the S38s, even with my "new" restored L100 series Ones now working right next to them.
The very same first pair of L100s I ever heard back around 1971.

BMWCCA
09-25-2022, 07:31 AM
Heather, Your S38s may be back.

Someone in NOVA or MD please buy these before I'm forced to make another road trip for a pair of speakers I don't need and already own. Black S38 pair in Maryland for $100 on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/768613960840455/?hoisted=true&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Abae8ab7d-5b57-40b5-bb01-1ab35144138e)

BMWCCA
11-21-2022, 06:30 PM
These look very nice. I'd get 'em if I were closer. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/689026562485299/?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A1aa5c3e3-6d65-4f05-89e4-e8d454cb4941

hjames
11-22-2022, 05:39 AM
These look very nice. I'd get 'em if I were closer. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/689026562485299/?hoisted=false&ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A1aa5c3e3-6d65-4f05-89e4-e8d454cb4941
Sold Apparently - no longer Available

markd51
11-22-2022, 06:50 PM
I think the S38 is not a bad Speaker, I remember this speaker being reviewed at the time, and rated as a budget component of the year.

I've heard some others in this size range that impressed me better, one example, the ProAc SC-1, but sure, a little bit more money that speaker cost. Apples and Oranges.

BMWCCA
11-22-2022, 07:17 PM
I have been pleasantly surprised by many JBLs around that price range—or less!These include: L1, L3, Pro-III Plus, S38. If I stretch to a $200 limit, that would include:LSR305, L5, L7, L96, 4412A. Even a nearly-free pair of LX22 and a free pair of 2500s were worth listening to and passing along to others. (Oddly, the LX22 were badged as "LX55" and advertised that way!).....sorry, had to edit for clarity after the site jammed the text all together rather than break it into graphs!

Mr. Widget
11-22-2022, 08:10 PM
I have been pleasantly surprised by many JBLs around that price range—or less!If there aren't several more zeros at the end of the price, I can't listen to it.

Insert all manner of silly emojis.

Widget

BMWCCA
11-23-2022, 06:06 AM
If there aren't several more zeros at the end of the price, I can't listen to it.Insert all manner of silly emojis. WidgetI want to know how you made paragraph breaks in your reply?? I can supply you with as many zeroes as you like: 000000000

hjames
11-23-2022, 06:22 AM
I want to know how you made paragraph breaks in your reply?? I can supply you with as many zeroes as you like: 000000000

Look for this post from EarlK that explains how to toggle the editor and use the image uploader.

https://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?43110-Forum-image-upload-error&p=442784&viewfull=1#post442784

BMWCCA
11-23-2022, 05:32 PM
Just to make this clear for others, the General Settings are under the "Settings" link to the LH site, not your computer.

"Settings" is found at the right top next to the Log Out button.

Let's see if this works now! ;)

Oh boy, I can set hard stops but still not indent.

BMWCCA
08-01-2023, 06:27 AM
A fair price and look to be in good condition for those wanting to try them to see for themselves.

No affiliation: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1484406688993816/?ref=browse_tab&referral_code=marketplace_general&referral_story_type=general&tracking=%7B%22qid%22%3A%22-3706361953372404933%22%2C%22mf_story_key%22%3A%229 91432336142191043%22%2C%22commerce_rank_obj%22%3A% 22%7B%5C%22target_id%5C%22%3A991432336142191043%2C %5C%22target_type%5C%22%3A6%2C%5C%22primary_positi on%5C%22%3A86%2C%5C%22ranking_signature%5C%22%3A71 28673034411442176%2C%5C%22commerce_channel%5C%22%3 A501%2C%5C%22value%5C%22%3A7.1606580991622e-5%2C%5C%22upsell_type%5C%22%3A3522%2C%5C%22candida te_retrieval_source_map%5C%22%3A%7B%5C%22643604886 3152606%5C%22%3A3103%2C%5C%229715616105177797%5C%2 2%3A701%7D%2C%5C%22grouping_info%5C%22%3Anull%7D%2 2%2C%22lightning_feed_qid%22%3A%22-3706410675522195845%22%2C%22lightning_feed_ranking _signature%22%3A%227128673034411442176%22%2C%22ftm d_400706%22%3A%22111112l%22%7D