PDA

View Full Version : Critical listening - buzzing noise

invstbiker
03-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Last night I was listening to the CD Baroque Music for brass and organ with a nice glass of Rex-Goliath red wine. I would say fairly loud on the volume control. I heard coming from the left channel, an intermittent tinny buzzing noise at various times on various tracks. Before I start "taking things apart" I am looking for opinions about this and others past experience with this challenge.

Thank you,

Steve G

Robh3606
03-16-2008, 12:10 PM
You sure it was not a reed from the organ? Can you hear it in headphones??

Rob:)

edgewound
03-16-2008, 12:17 PM
By your description, it sounds like a crack in a compression driver diaphragm compliance/surround.

invstbiker
03-16-2008, 12:32 PM
You sure it was not a reed from the organ? Can you hear it in headphones??

Rob:)

Do not believe it's the organ reed. Good point on the headphones, however I do not own a pair of these.

invstbiker
03-16-2008, 12:34 PM
By your description, it sounds like a crack in a compression driver diaphragm compliance/surround.

Slot tweeter or horn?

edgewound
03-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Slot tweeter or horn?

Mid horn.

invstbiker
03-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Mid horn.

Thank you, PM your way...:)

invstbiker
03-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Turns out the tinny buzz happens when the horns play. Trumpet, trombone etc.

boputnam
03-16-2008, 05:50 PM
I heard coming from the left channel, an intermittent tinny buzzing noise at various times on various tracks. Can you swap speaker connections to see if it occurs in the RH speaker on the same track?

Turns out the tinny buzz happens when the horns play. Trumpet, trombone etc.This still could be frequency dependent, and like edge sez a fried CD.

Swap connections and see if it occurs in the other speaker.

Mr. Widget
03-16-2008, 06:38 PM
...and like edge sez a fried CD. A fried compact disc? Hey wait a minute.:applaud:

Widget

03-16-2008, 07:36 PM
:applaud:

invstbiker
03-16-2008, 10:08 PM
I doubt it's a fried CD since the CD is new. I here the tin buzz on more than one track. This particular CD was recorded in mono, so not sure if swapping channels will make a difference, but will check it out. THX

BMWCCA
03-16-2008, 10:14 PM
I doubt it's a fried CD since the CD is new

:D
Between you and me; I think they meant Compression Driver (CD). Hey, I thought the same thing first time I read it! :)

grumpy
03-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Perhaps the diaphragm isn't completely centered? I had a similar sounding problem
w/ a 2445 that was frequency and level dependent ... re-centering the voice coil in
the gap with a bit more care and checking took care of it. Absolutely was not apparent
except under very specific (and repeatable) circumstances. ... I did not have a way to
do a swept tone test at the time.

A tolerance problem (swap for different diaphragm?) or slight out-of-round or tllt
condition -might- also cause something that could sound like this.

-grumpy

boputnam
03-17-2008, 04:37 PM
A fried compact disc? Hey wait a minute.:applaud:
Dammit, Widget!! :bash:

I doubt it's a fried CD since the CD is new. I here the tin buzz on more than one track. ...Uh, sorry.

I was indeed referring to the Compression Driver, as I said, as posted by edge.

invstbiker
03-17-2008, 05:36 PM
:D
Between you and me; I think they meant Compression Driver (CD). Hey, I thought the same thing first time I read it! :)

Fabulous, I try and learn something new every day...:D

Don C
03-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Check for any problems with the glue that fastens the surround to the woofer. I've heard a sound like that from a surround flapping against the cone, loose. If you have a way to use a test CD with fixed frequencies, you may find a certain frequency that is particularly bad.

3dbdown
04-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Look down the throat of the horn and make sure there is nothing sitting on the diaphragm, like a tiny fragment of metal, for instance, which can happen, and will dance around the diaphragm surface at certain frequencies. Just a thought.

Rick

invstbiker
04-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Look down the throat of the horn and make sure there is nothing sitting on the diaphragm, like a tiny fragment of metal, for instance, which can happen, and will dance around the diaphragm surface at certain frequencies. Just a thought.

Rick

I will try this, THX

John
04-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Still having this problem? I kind of thought you had it nailed already!:(

invstbiker
04-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Still having this problem? I kind of thought you had it nailed already!:(

Hey John, I wish I had this solved already, however, been very busy with work and family, etc. It's one of those take 1/2 a day and just do it. I'll get there and now have lots of ideas thanks to all...

Steve

stevem
05-01-2008, 09:25 AM
I just had a buzzing problem with one speaker, and it turned out to be a loose dust cap on one of the woofers. Gently tap the center of the woofer and see if it's on tight. Sometimes the glue loosens up.

JBL 4645
05-01-2008, 09:47 AM
I’ve encountered issues like this on film soundtracks a kind of snap crackle and pop and that’s no joke. Often I’ve heard it on the surrounds, but only in Dolby or dts its not audible on the analogue track, sounds like they’ve over cooked the mix levels or something got screwed up in the production line somewhere?

When I hear the sound now and then when playing Apollo 13 Armageddon and another title I noticed it on last week sometime, makes my skin crawl guys because I think my HF have brought the farm.

But when playing it again at much lower volume I then know it’s on the mix and I needn’t worry, because the fronts are protected with audio limiters LF and HF and I think I should get some protection on the surrounds soon!

Beowulf57
05-10-2008, 06:27 AM
Just in case: make sure it isn't coming from your woofer. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the flexible voice coil wires touching the woofer cone at the back of the cone.