PDA

View Full Version : JBL 5 Year Warranty / Service Center / LSR25Ps

podman
03-16-2008, 07:11 AM
Wondering how JBL is about servicing beyond 5 year warranty

I bought a pair of LSR25Ps new from MARS Music when they closed a little over 5 years go for rears on a surround system that I never put up.

I finally opened the LSR25P boxes up for the first time last week and they BOTH aren't working - green power lights, but no sound. Sure enough, I bought in 11/02, so they are outside of 5 year warranty.

1. Does JBL ever do warranty work if a few months (5) after warranty, or are they absolutely 5 years only?

2. If they charge, are JBL Service Center (Northridge) prices competitive, or am I generally better off going to a local shop?

3. Are LSR25Ps prone to problems with the electronics? I seem to see a lot of posts about dead power amp sections on LSR25Ps

I'm thinking since its both speakers, its a "factory" defect with the electronics, so have a bias toward sending directly to JBL as I'm guessing they are going to require parts / new board

Thanks!

Podman

johnaec
03-16-2008, 07:55 AM
I'm not sure in your case, but I had a similar problem with a new item that was by now obviously out of warranty - a speaker cone was totally frozen in the basket, new, out of the box. The lesson - always at least test stuff when you get it, even if it's just going back in the box for now... :banghead:

I think you have a chance in your case. I'd ping Edgewound here - he's a Pro Service rep.

John