PDA

View Full Version : urei 539 slide pots

tom smith
03-16-2004, 06:41 PM
i have to replace all the sliders on my urei graphics which have been used A lot by their previous owner. The serial number of the unit is suffixed by 'A' and i don't have the relevant schematics, only those for units with suffix 'B'.
the sliders on my model seem to be (predominantley) 30K, does anyone know if they're all the same value? only some of them seem to be 200k pots! what's going on? does anybody know?

tom

dancing-dave
03-16-2004, 09:04 PM
Looks like you're all over...

Check this out:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vintage%20JBL-UREI%20Electronics/UREI-539.pdf

The schematics are on the bottom of the page. Finding pots like that may turn out to be more hassle than it's worth. You should call JBL (818) 894-8850 and they should be of help. They tend to have many spare parts and manuals lying around.

subwoof
03-16-2004, 10:50 PM
u b toast....

those pots have been gone for years....those plastic slides with plactic inserts ( and of course plastic guides ) get so difficult to move that users snap them off all the time.

The service guys at JBL say to use a teflon lubricant called "tri-flow" which is sold in ace hardware stores.

it helps about 5% of the time...:(

This is why such a good eq sells for dirt on the internet....

sub

tom smith
03-17-2004, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by dancing-dave
Looks like you're all over...
yes, i like to spread my ignorance around the web a little. if i kept it in one place then...well, err anyway...

Check this out:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Vintage%20JBL-UREI%20Electronics/UREI-539.pdf

The schematics are on the bottom of the page.

thanks dave, but i already have that schematic, and very nice its is, but it is for a later version of the 539 (with serial number ending in 'B' not 'A').

tom smith
03-17-2004, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by subwoof
u b toast....

those pots have been gone for years....

The service guys at JBL say to use a teflon lubricant called "tri-flow" which is sold in ace hardware stores.

it helps about 5% of the time...:(

This is why such a good eq sells for dirt on the internet....

sub

the sliders are past any lubricating, some of them seem to have food debris in them that could be upwards of a decade old. as for the grease on everything, someone has already tried spraying something on them to get them back to life. no dice.

when you say "those pots have been gone for years" do you mean gone like bust? or gone like no longer available as replacement parts?

should all the pots be the same value?...on the schematics dave referred tother ALL are indicated as 20K slidepots, now mine are 30K, ok, but what about these 200k ones i've pulled out? confusing.

yes i did get them for next to nothing on the net, but figured i could do them up...