PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4311 B question

bprice
03-09-2008, 07:51 AM
I have just acquired a beautiful set of JBL 4311 B speakers. Noticed a small semi-hard pool of goo at bottom of cabinets. removed grills & this is a semi-hard, clear glue-like substance which has oozed down from the woofers. If woofers have been reconed, someone used same material as factory new, (according to photos I've seen) cone is white. Question, should I be concerned about this and does it hurt the speaker permormance. Should I try to remove this substance?

Not sure if making myself clear on this problem. This is obviously a glue or sealer which has leaked down the front of the speaker cabinet (from the woofer) and pooled at the bottom of the cabinet, substance is in a semi-hard state. Thanks

rs237
03-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Hello bprice,

my english its very bad. Use the search, and search for "goop"

regards
juergen

colorbars
03-10-2008, 01:19 PM
I have the same on my 4311B's and I have seen this on many of them. It is, I think, something that was used by the factory, and when they were in a warm place (not abnormally warm) this adhesive or sealant, or whatever it is, oozed a little and dripped down the cab.

In my experience it does not affect the sound, structural integrity, etc. of the units at all. My 4311B's sound gorgeous, and all the others I have listened that had this sound as good as an 4311B was made to sound.

Hope that helps. Others may be able to shed more light on where this stuff comes from.

bprice
03-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Colorbars, thanks so much, I feel better now..........bprice

seabisquit2
08-23-2009, 08:28 AM
I think this is the aquaplas oozing off of the woofer due to excessive heat or exposure to the sun.???

Rick