PDA

View Full Version : Altec and the Sydney Opera House?

Steve71
03-07-2008, 09:52 AM
I went to the Sydney Opera House when I about 5 years old. It could well be my imagination but I have this image in my head of large multicell horns either side of the stage. So I googled Sydney Opera House and Altec, and sure enough ALtec's were in the SOH at some stage.

Anyone know for sure what horns were used and if they were visible. It would have been around 1976 or so. If you have pic's that's even better!

Ian Mackenzie
03-07-2008, 01:54 PM
See the article below :

http://www.meyersound.com.au/soh.shtml

http://www.euphonix.com/pro/news/reviews/at_soh_0705_02.htm

Monitoring comes courtesy of the SOH’s usual choice of ATC. Custom built by ATC and catering to 7.1 surround formats, the SCM50A-based system (including ATC sub) delivers transparent reproduction of the most minute dynamics and textures.

Steve71
03-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the reply Ian, those links were interesting to read. Still can't find any info on exactly what Altecs were in the SOH.

Anybody?

Guess I could always email em' and see what they remember.

Phil Jeffery
11-30-2013, 09:48 PM
Hi Steve,

Reviving an old thread here, and not sure if you're still around, but I have owned a pair of Altecs for about ten years that the previous owner told me came from the Opera House. They were definitely flown (upside down), as some of the eyebolts are still in the bottom of the enclosures. A pic is attached. They look to be made to 9846 enclosure specs.

When I bought them, they had 418 drivers, which were obviously incorrect. I believe they should've had 411 drivers, but I have used 421-LF baskets and used Great Plains audio 416 recone kits. They have 802-8Ds with 511 horns, but with N-800 crossovers.

What made me do a google search today that lead to your post is that I bought a pair of duplexes today from a guy (in the industry) who distinctly remembers the halls being exclusively flown with Altecs until being 'upgraded'.

So, I'm tipping your memory is accurate!

Regards,
Phil

Mr. Widget
11-30-2013, 11:12 PM
Cool info... thanks for sharing! Those are pretty. Did you refinish them?

FWIW: I think the 511 should always be crossed over at 800Hz or higher.

Widget

Phil Jeffery
11-30-2013, 11:53 PM
Hi Widget,

Thanks! Yeah, I did re-furbish the cabinets; they were in a parlous state when I got them. I didn't have a lot of experience restoring veneer at the time. I sanded them back and used 'grain filler' or whatever it's called, which worked well, but seems to have prevented them ever getting more than a satin finish (not that I'm bothered by that). They have had many coats of burnishing oil, and some black enamel on the front baffle.

I really do wish I'd made more effort to note their provenance, our Sydney Opera House is a national treasure, and I'm glad to own part of it!

Steve71
12-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Hey Phil! Thanks for the info, I appreciate you taking the time to post.

BTW, nice purchase you made there, hope they give your ears years of enjoyment.