PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket power supplies

louped garouv
03-03-2008, 02:34 PM
so, i have gotten a few pieces of audio equipment over the years that has been missing the external (typically a "wall wart" type) power supply...

the manufacturers almost always say to use only their power supply...

my question is this;

If you know the specs of the powersupply -- voltage, amps, polarity, etc....

shouldn't you be able to use any powersupply that is "identical" to the factory one in fit and function without worrying about damage?

Hoerninger
03-03-2008, 03:01 PM
When the details are known, why not.
(It is not necessary to use the factory label recommondation for your motor oil - just to give another example.)
Voltage, Ampere, polarity, rectifier and stabilizer are built in? All should be known.
Over the years I could bring to use again quite a few pieces of gear.

just4kinks
03-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Wall warts are just DC voltage sources. They are very simple in design and there's no reason you can't replace them. Voltage and polarity should be identical, and the current rating should be at least as high as whatever you're replacing.

Manufacturers have no quality control over generic accessories and they don't want to provide warranty coverage for them. But realistically there shouldn't be a problem so long as you match the specs properly.

Baron030
03-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Hi louped garouv

If you know the specs of the original power supply then you can go with an after market power supply.
Actually, you can even use an after market power supply that has a higher current rating then the specs call for and it will not matter.

I know Mouser Electronics has a large selection of “wall wart” supplies, and they don’t have any set minimum orders.
Or you could try parts express as another possible source.

Baron030 :)

louped garouv
03-03-2008, 04:25 PM
thanks gentlemen...

i figured you could do that with no ill effects,
provided you pick the right aftermarket supply...

:)

thanks again....

Mr. Widget
03-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Wall warts are just DC voltage sources.Not true. Some are AC. ...and the power supply in your amp or preamp is also "just a DC voltage source."

When the details are known, why not.True. However, the specs are typically a bit vague. They rarely specify acceptable ripple voltage, peak current capacity, etc.

I would always talk to the manufacturer and get the full specs before substituting a generic wall wart.

Widget