PDA

View Full Version : How much for power L65/L100 setup

c402c1
03-02-2008, 04:52 PM
I have a HK 6900 integrated amp @ 170 watts continous x 2. I wanted to set up a two room system. A pair of L100's in one room and a pair of L65's in the other. Assuming that 170 watts x2 hooked to 4 speakers would be less(how much?) Is this too much power for the the four units. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

johnaec
03-02-2008, 05:12 PM
The bigger issue is whether your receiver can handle the resulting 4 ohm loads. Many home receivers are designed for 8 ohm minimum loads, and will often go into protect mode when driving them with any serious volume at 4 ohms.

John

Fred Sanford
03-02-2008, 06:17 PM
That, and all of my L100s read as ~6ohms on a meter.

Your issue isn't "too much power" for the speakers, it's more likely to be not enough current for all of them at once.

Those are also very different-sounding speakers from each other, you'd probably want to choose the speaker, room & placement carefully to make the best out of this.

je

c402c1
03-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Gosh I love this forum, so much knowlege to tap into
I under stand what you all are saying and had not considered that all that much. Like in home wiring no current capacity no volts no watts(not much anyway). So I went back and looked the specs on the Harman Kardon and found this: Continous Average Power (FTC)170 watts per channel at 4 and 8 ohms, and has High Instantaneous Current Capability of + - 90 amps.

Mr. Widget
03-02-2008, 08:52 PM
...and has High Instantaneous Current Capability of + - 90 amps.:rotfl:

How do you define an instant?

I certainly wouldn't worry about the number of watts available. Give it a try and if the current sensing circuit is unhappy, it'll let you know. :D

Widget

edgewound
03-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Your HK should handle both sets of speaker fine, with one caveat.

Listen at low to moderate levels due to the limited headroom(lack of reserve power) to drive these speakers cleanly at "house party levels".

Why? Because you can easily drive the amp into clipping and fry the tweeters and midranges...even the woofer and the crossover components...so listen judiciously when driving both speakers at the same time.

HK is one of the few integrateds that can tolerate a 4 ohm load.

BTW...6 ohms on the ohmmeter is the DC resistance of the woofer's voice coil and any inductor in series...not the nominal impedance of the system.

c402c1
03-03-2008, 03:52 PM
How do you define an instant?

Somewhere less than hour and more than a blink of the eye:blink:
Thanks for all the info guys

grumpy
03-03-2008, 04:11 PM
more than a blink of the eye? ... 90A? Don't count on it :)

on the rear panel, make sure it's set to 4ohm "operating mode" (OUT position)
above the AC outlets.

get a copy of the manual.
http://manuals.harman.com/HK/HOM/Owner%27s%20Manual/HK68-6900om.pdf