PDA

View Full Version : L-100t

dgorshe
03-14-2004, 10:19 PM
So how does this speaker sound? anyone heard them, are the components any good. i am in no way trying to compare these to the pro stuff but wanted to get an idea of how they are. I have a set lined up for free that just needs a refoam job on the woofer.

jarrods
03-14-2004, 11:38 PM
hi dgorshe,

i have had a pair since early '80s and had it in my mind to replace them one day when something fantastic in the home series comes along. now and then i'd get excited to go have a listen to new JBL offerings and head off for a listen only to return home dissapaointed and still loving the sound of my 100Ts. 20 years later they are still my main speakers. i am now building a pair of 4344's but will i throw out my L100T's - no way.

my brother still has his pair in his rumpus room and will never sell them either... he has Project Everests in his lounge and 4435's in the home theatre room.

for free (well cost of a couple foam kits) - GO FOR IT!!!

jarrod

dgorshe
03-15-2004, 12:51 AM
yeh i figured 25 bucks or so for some foam kits its probably worth it.

GordonW
03-15-2004, 08:51 AM
Just make sure you get the right foam kits for the 2214. They're just a bit larger than most 12" woofers.

Regards,
Gordon.

boputnam
03-15-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by dgorshe
...I have a set lined up for free ... Well, they're priced right... :slink:

DavidF
03-15-2004, 10:57 PM
The L100T's components are all part of the pro catalog. Not the ticket for full-on power response in large rooms but suitable for the small-format monitors. The crossover has some cost-cutting aspects about the components but it is OK (12-gauge air coil on the woofer and a North Creek Crescendo with bypass on the metal dome are two things I would try). The cabinet is the weak link. As a manufacturing engineering design, it is a cost-saver compared to prior JBL cabinetry quality. As box for speakers, it is has too many compromises Not to say it does not work as is, but some considerations to make a better system: cross-brace the sides to the back, ensure that there is sound damping material on all interior sides but the baffle, invest in heavy damping pads such as Black Hole behind the woofer to limit the reflections back to the woofer, and finally some felt around the tweeter to break-up the bounce around the baffle. The extension and balance of the system is very good so all these will help in small, but useful, increments.

If you are inclined to work on the woofers yourself, Parts Express now sells foam replacement kits for some JBLs including the 2214. The price is better than anywhere I have found. I replaced the surround on a 128H-1 and was impressed by the fit and the finish.

David F