chuck

Mr. Widget
03-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Now that is one fine looking crossover!

Congratulations.

Widget

Krunchy
03-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi Charlie! are your speakers up and "running"?

Question, whats the difference between a "regular" crossover and one that is Charge-Coupled and what are the benefits/advantages. From what I gather? its like a hot rod-ed crossover? is that a safe assumption? The ones on my 4345's have a 9v battery, is that a standard characteristic of charged crossovers? :o: :)
Thanks guys!

here's a picture for reference purposes,

Chas
03-01-2008, 06:06 PM
Krunchy, yes - charge coupling requires a DC voltage charge source, usually a battery. In some active electronics, this isn't always the case (it could be fed from a line based power source). Based upon what your 4345 vendor advertised, yours already are charge coupled, and, if I recall, by a guy who knows his stuff, too.

Charge Coupling (known as CC or simply, biased, around here at the LHF), is way to extract improved subjective sonic performance by biasing crossover capacitors to reduce, or eliminate, their inherent audio signature. Everyone has opinions about this, it seems. If you are interested in starting at the beginning, try a search for an article from Audio magazine from the early early eighties by Walt Jung and Richard Marsh called "Picking Capacitors" This is the first published documentation relating to the subject that I am aware of. I have seen it somewhere on the internet.

It lays the ground work with regard to an objective assesment as to the problems associated with capacitors in audio design at that time. A good primer IMHO.

By the way, you may want to change your moniker until you have heard MP3 used as a source to feed your new, high res monitors!

Krunchy
03-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Hello Chas! Thank you for the info on the subject, I do believe my vendor was on top of it, he was with everything else :) everything about them seems like a work of art to me.

As for the moniker I'll wait for Rich to fill me in on the action he's been having with the mac,
I always liked Foghorn Leghorn :D

"Everyone has opinions about this, it seems" So what is the general concensus on this subject/topic, is it a split 50/50 60/40 ?

Thanks again!

Fred :)

Chas
03-01-2008, 09:51 PM
"Everyone has opinions about this, it seems" So what is the general concensus on this subject/topic, is it a split 50/50 60/40 ?

Thanks again!

Fred :)

Beats me. It's really a subjective thing. If you are so inclined, try out different topology schemes - later. Personally speaking, I would live with what you have for a year or so, before you start experimenting. Get the power amp/crossver/EQ things resolved first.

Have you read GT's post about the 4345? He nails the subjective stuff very eloquently, i.e. nobody has knowledge of a "Holy Grail" here or anywhere, when it comes to the reproduction of music, it's really about what turns your crank!

WRT my 4345's, I basically did two things. I brought all the drivers up to spec, changed all the caps over to Hovlands and converted to biamp only, bypassed the &%# switch and bi-wired the MF vs. HF/UHF and I am a very happy camper.

I am really not into carving them up more than this. But, I did have some spare components around, like new 2405H's, 2307's from my old 4325's and four 2235A's (Alnico 2231's reconed with 2235H kits) and some 2308 lenses... and oh - yeah, a pair of 2123H's from our resident Senorita that I have used as a start for a modular concept project...more info about this later in a new thread.

It's nice to have, for reference purposes, a pair of 4345's around to use as a benchmark.

Hoerninger
03-02-2008, 12:45 AM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19028&highlight=picking+capacitors

Krunchy
03-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Hello Peter !, thank you for the link, I was going to look into that today as a matter of fact, very kind of you :)

If you are so inclined, try out different topology schemes - later. Personally speaking, I would live with what you have for a year or so, before you start experimenting. Get the power amp/crossver/EQ things resolved first.

Hi Chas, in all honesty I am quite happy with the sound quality I am getting out of them as is, I know John built something that is really well thought out and I do not intend to really start altering his design in any way, topology or otherwise. Maybe when I get more knowledgeable about things but for now and by now I know enough to leave certain things alone. My main focus for now as you suggested will be to gather knowledge and get amp, crossover, EQ issues just where I like them, that'll keep me busy for a while I am sure. The main reason for my querie is as usual curiosity, I'd come across these terms quite often reading through the posts and always wondered about them and their implications.

Thank you ;)

Foghorn Leghorn :D

BTW Chas, whats the disc spinner in your avatar, a Thorens? which one, looks nice!

Chas
03-02-2008, 08:40 AM
BTW Chas, whats the disc spinner in your avatar, a Thorens? which one, looks nice!

A Linn LP-12.
http://www.linn.co.uk/music_systems_sondek_LP12

Although a well worn (30+ years and counting!) Thorens TD-125 holds a place of fairly high distiction around here too.:)

Krunchy
03-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Very nice indeed, never heard of that brand but looks to be a quality machine.

Enjoy! :)

Krunchy
03-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Hello Charlie, sorry bout the posts in your thread, did not mean to hijack if that is how construed, completely unintentional.
Fred

jblnut
03-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Congrats !

I'm glad I'm no longer the only one in the Bay State with Giskard's CC Xovers. Those look very nice!

jblnut

spwal
03-04-2008, 02:07 AM
That makes 3 of us.

Glad you were finally able to get those xovers... your speakers are in better condition than you described to me months ago on the phone. :) grats.