PDA

View Full Version : Finally found my DREAM bass guitar cab

audiorep2
02-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Since 1975 or so I have used a 1967 Fender Showman, with an E140
replacing the 130 that was stock.
Well, on a recent trip to the US, I went into Retro Music in Keane, NH.
He had a stock 4625 Cabaret cab in raelly great shape.
Well, that's it for me. It sounds SO much better that the Fender cab !
With the Showman head it is amazing.
In the 70s I was a JBL dealer in Ontario Canada. Never got around to stocking the 4625.

BTW I toured JBL Northridge before the NAMM show in Jan. Great time.

Fred Sanford
02-29-2008, 03:26 PM
I'd like to find one of those cabs, too- I've got an E140 looking for a home. Glad you got hooked up.

je

57BELAIRE
03-04-2008, 08:13 AM
The Fender Showman enclosure even with it's "tone ring" was never
really good for electric bass...too shallow.

Most, if not all of the modern bass bottoms, are around 18 in. deep
compared to the Showman's 11 in.

These were good for guitar but not much else, just don't scrap that
cab...a blackface Showman with matching bottom are very desirable ;)

SMKSoundPro
03-04-2008, 01:46 PM
I had a bass player that needed a new and better rig, She had a Carvin amp and 15" speaker combination where the output transistors failed, again. I thought she could do better.

Next door, at the music store, was a used Yamaha PB-1 rack mount bass guitar preamp for $99. There was a name etched onto it, and I new the name and recognized it to be a really good bass player in town that I know.

I mounted it in a rack with a Yamaha P2100 pro amp, and knew of a very prissy perfect cabaret 4625 cabinet that was available for a couple of hundred bucks. I talked her into to buying it, and she was thrilled with the difference of this compared to what she had in the Carvin.

Although I would say she was not a great gifted bass player, she sounded much better, and the new rig really gave her some more confidence, and her playing seemed improved.

I took the detailed measurements of the Cabaret 4625 and made shop drawings with the intent of making a couple of those Cabaret cabinets.

I think it is very interesting to read that someone else, more in the know, also agrees that the 4625 is a winner!!!

Question: What amp are you using to drive it? Is a bassman 50 and the 4625 a good combo? Or, a G-K or...?

Scott.