PDA

View Full Version : speakerlab upgrade

hatrack71
02-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Hi, I'm looking at acquiring some Speakerlab K's and converting them to an Altec 2-way. What is the best arrangement for this enclosure? I'm looking to put either 511 or 811 horns w/ 902 8A's or 802 8G's crossed over with an 800 8A to 416 8C's. Is this a good set-up or is there something better? Perhaps 16 ohm network and drivers? These look like Klipschorns but seem better for an Altec conversion.

speakerdave
02-24-2008, 02:48 PM
I played around with some k-horn bass units in the ancient history part of my hi-fi saga, and, although I know it's a fairly common practice, I wouldn't cross them over at 500 Hz. The 811 is definitely out of the question. For K-horn diy projects the Klipsch-o-phile website might be a more fruitful place to seek advice.

http://forums.klipsch.com/

David

Steve Schell
02-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Hatrack71, there has been much discussion over the years regarding the Klipsch bass bin and the Speakerlab copy. I used to have a folder of material published by Klipsch, unfortunately loaned out and lost about twenty years ago. At one point Paul Klipsch noted in his "Dope from Hope" newsletter that a prominent speaker company in the pacific northwest was building copies and had seen fit to copy some of his early mistakes in the bass cabinet's design. Later Dr. Bruce Edgar published an article in Speakerbuilder magazine titled something like "The Great Klipsch Throat Riddle", where he discussed the changes to the design. The comments continued in the following issue or two in the letters to the editor section. Perhaps you can chase this info down from some Klipsch enthusiasts; it had something to do with the horn throat size as I recall.

As has been much discussed in past (and as speakerdave alluded to), one problem the Klipschorn always had was obtaining good response from the bass horn up to the 400Hz. stock crossover point. It would be worthwhile to experiment with some beefy vintage woofers. Klipsch used EV and Stephens woofers in production long before shifting to the marginal-looking K33. Some Jensen or Magnavox field coil woofers might be just the ticket if you can find them.

You might have better luck using a 300Hz. midrange horn like one of the Altec multicellulars and a 300Hz. crossover point. I generally prefer big ol' midrange horns anyway; perhaps you could use 203, 803 or 1003 horns with a 290 driver from 300Hz. to 5kHz. then cross to a good horn tweeter to make some very satisfying three way systems.

Edit: I just reread your post. The Altec 416s would probably work well, much better than whatever is in those cabinets now.

Mr. Widget
02-25-2008, 11:46 PM
Hatrack71, there has been much discussion over the years regarding the Klipsch bass bin and the Speakerlab copy.

You might have better luck using a 300Hz. midrange horn like one of the Altec multicellulars and a 300Hz. crossover point. I generally prefer big ol' midrange horns anyway...I have trashed the Speakerlab K for years after hearing a pair at a friend's house back in the late '70s. Now that I know more about this sort of thing, a single data point is rather useless in determining the merits of a speaker. The pair I heard may have not been properly hooked up or perhaps the room was not the best. That aside, at the time, the several Klipschorns I had heard in those days all sounded far better, especially in the bass, than that particular Speakerlab K setup.

I agree about the larger mid horns... based on my more recent experiments, the more conservatively you can derate a horn the better. For example I would never use an 811 below 1200Hz.

Widget

hatrack71
02-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Thankyou Mr. Widget, Steve Schell, and Speakerdave. I have abandoned the speakerlab project due to the fact that I don't like the materials used on this particular model of k's. The bass bins are made of particle board and that seems too cheap of construction for what I want to do. I am however going to go forward with a mod on my 1996 Klipschorns taking out the midrange and try to modify the top section for 803, 805, 1005 or 311-90 horns. I am looking at these right now for purchase. I am not sure which drivers to use, but I want to go with one of Al's crossovers. So is it best to get set up in 16 or 8 ohm configurations? I am able to find alot of 288 and 291 drivers. It was also mentioned to upgrade the woofers, and I want to stay Altec. So would a 515 or a 416 be the way to go? If I decide to go with a different tweeter set up, what is recommended? My goal is to go all altec, so is there a small altec horn and driver combo that would suit the needs of the upper frequencies. My goal is to have the sweetest sounding Altecshorns around. Thanks for all the suggestions, Kyle.

Mr. Widget
02-28-2008, 12:48 AM
I think you made the right decision to avoid the particle board Speakerlabs. I don't think I would be so focused on any one brand though. You may find the old EV-15WK woofer is superior, or a JBL tweeter, or a...?

All that aside, if you are up for a road trip I have a pair of pretty darned ugly Klipschorns that I'd be happy to offer toward your project. They are similar to these but with a few more water spots and a lot less expensive! :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150218593683&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=005

For that matter, anyone within the sound of my voice who is interested in a pair of Klipschorns circa 1971. Shoot me a PM.

Widget

grumpy
02-28-2008, 08:51 AM
wow... $2500 for utility cabs (ebay)...:blink:

wish I was closer, regarding yours. -grumpy

hatrack71
02-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Mr. Widget, of course I would be interested in those Klipschorns. I am a cabinet maker and with the current recession in the housing industry here in Bozeman, I am forced to become creative with my craft. With my life-long interest in audio, it seems natural to build high end enclosures and do restorations. Shoot me some pictures of those water damaged Klipschorns . Thanks for your consideration, Kyle.

Mr. Widget
02-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Kyle, I deleted your message as it contained your e-mail which you really don't want posted on an open forum. I have sent you a PM (private message) and we should continue this conversation via that method.

Widget

jcrobso
03-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Hi, I'm looking at acquiring some Speakerlab K's and converting them to an Altec 2-way. What is the best arrangement for this enclosure? I'm looking to put either 511 or 811 horns w/ 902 8A's or 802 8G's crossed over with an 800 8A to 416 8C's. Is this a good set-up or is there something better? Perhaps 16 ohm network and drivers? These look like Klipschorns but seem better for an Altec conversion.

I have mine loaded with JBL. I'm using D140F for the bass, LE175 on a Bi Radial horn and a 077. A friend and I built 3 sets 20 years ago, one set for me, one set for him. The third set was for another friend who never came to pick them up. The 3rd set is in my garage, I would like to find them a good home :o: John