PDA

View Full Version : Valencia restoration help

calbrs03
02-23-2008, 08:26 AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum with a pair of Altec Valencia 846A. They have 806A horns and 416Z bass units, both in excellent condition, no restoration, reconing, or remagnetizing needed. The N-800F network, however, may need some help as one Lpad is a bit scratchy. Cabinets are in pretty good shape for 41 year old veneer.

What I'd like to know is what can I do to upgrade the network--replace, rebuild, or switch with another?--and the internal wiring? I'd like to get the guts in excellent order before I work the cabinets.

These speakers are sonically terrific. But technology changes through 40 years. I want to get the most out of these units that I can. I run them from a Cary SLI-80 signature, Wright Sound WWP220C phono pre and a VPI Scoutmaster with a Benz Micro M2.

Thanks for your help.

SMKSoundPro
02-25-2008, 01:15 AM
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!

Oh please God, Not the Valencia's, again!

There is a TON of info on here for the Vals.

Search above for Valencia and you wil find a pleathera of info on upgrades, crossovers, response charts and even replacing the altec 608 compression driver with a BMS that is great!

Ping user Zilch. He is the Val Master! Also JackGiff, and a few others.

I had a pair of 846a's jump into my lap for a while. Now I have a pair of L200b's that I really enjoy!

I always thought the Vals woofer should be a 8 ohm speaker, instead of a 16 ohmer. It would have a little more kick to it.

The N800f is a little different, also. What about biamping the box?

Scott.

Zilch
02-25-2008, 12:09 PM
A direct path to upgrading Valencia performance using the stock components is illustrated here:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1473345#post1473345

Full extended VHF can only be achieved via replacing the 806As, BMS 4550 or 4552nd being an option that thas been "worked through" here successfully.... :yes:

calbrs03
02-26-2008, 07:41 AM
My apologies for bringing up a worn topic, but what else are novices good for? Next time I'll search before I post. Thank you, Zilch, for your reply, I have found most of the info I need.

sourceoneaudio
02-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Welcome to the forum. Here is a look at some of what I've done.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17176&highlight=846A+Restoration

Second Set Modified:
They have some 846B influence put in to the mix. The HF driver is a 806-8A out of a 846B and the x-over design follows the 846B, it is a 12db high-pass/ low-pass and x-over point is at 1100hz, using the Butterworth alignment. Components used, high quality Jantzen Cross Cap Metalized Polypropylene Capacitors, Jantzen 18 Gauge Air Core Inductor's, 100 watt L-Pad used for HF control.

L/F drivers used are Eminece 15" woofers 1580LR
Hope this helps. :D

jaynemo
02-26-2008, 11:19 AM
Glad to see my ex-Vals are in good hands!

:applaud:

calbrs03
02-26-2008, 11:40 AM
Nice job, Sourceoneaudio! When I get the time this evening, I'll read through your thread. Thanks so much for offering your insight. This is the first time I've messed with speakers this old, so everyone's help is/was welcome. I bought these things cold--the cabinets interested me as a refinishing project. They sound big, but lopped-off at the extremes (very unlike the Thiels 3.6s I've been using, which, I know, is apples to oranges) and I'm looking for ways to ameliorate the situation. Thanks