PDA

View Full Version : 2441 info needed

Dan_ed
02-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Hi all,

I've perused this forum from time to time and found very interesting stuff here, so I decided it was about time to join.

In the last 9 months I've built up a set of Edgarhorn Titan II's from kits and I'd like to investigate if I should inspect, clean, mod. the 2441 mid-range drivers. I'm not really sure if the diaphragms are aluminum or titanium. I haven't found any information on the internals of these drivers doing web searches and I'd rather have diagrams before going in.

If anyone has info and/or suggestions on tweaks or cleaning I would really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,
Dan

Maron Horonzakz
02-23-2008, 08:14 AM
If the 2441 is working leave it alone... The phram is aluminum,,,D16R2441,,,$230. each.

Dan_ed
02-23-2008, 09:00 AM
Thanks for that reality check. I've been searching through the tech forum and found several posts one what is involved with rebuilding these drivers. Definitely not something I'm set up to do.

I know these usually have aluminum diaphragms but I've seen some mention the titanium. I suppose I could go back to the place I ordered them from and see if they know.

So, what about those spring-loaded connectors? Can they be replaced from the outside? Would it really make much of a difference.

I guess I should say something about what I'm looking to improve. I've "discovered" the benefit of vertically aligning the drivers and the sound is really getting good. However, I think the micro-dynamics and details could be a bit better. Maybe I should look at the crossover instead?

jblwolf
02-23-2008, 10:29 AM
Hey Dan,I can tell you every pair of 375 and 2440 I've had the foam in the endcap disintegated.I was lucky on most of them but on the last pair of 2440(poor shipping-ebay sale) the foam fell on the diaphrams and was a big mess.

Mr. Widget
02-23-2008, 11:14 AM
So, what about those spring-loaded connectors? Can they be replaced from the outside? Would it really make much of a difference.You have to pull the back cap off. If you are not all thumbs you shouldn't have any trouble pulling it. Sometimes they do stick and it takes a light tap with a mallet. Replacement foam was still available from JBL at a reasonable price the last time I checked. As for the connectors, if the springs are shot or they are really corroded I would replace them. If they are still clean and working properly, I wouldn't mess with them.

I think the micro-dynamics and details could be a bit better. Maybe I should look at the crossover instead?
Could be your networks, could be that your drivers are in need of help, or it could be that you are expecting too much of the system.

For years I was under the misconception that loudspeakers either worked or they failed. Then along came eBay :) and eventually I bought some fairly sophisticated measuring gear and discovered just what the toll that time and use/abuse takes on loudspeakers. These days if I am working with a vintage system, I'd rather buy a blown set of drivers and recone them.

Widget

Dan_ed
02-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the feedback! When I received these drivers (from Jammin' Jersey) I was impressed with how clean looking they are. There is just the slightest bit of coloration on the mounting surfaces. The bodies and connectors look very clean. It sounds like I can remove the end caps without doing any harm. Maybe I'll just take a peek and close them back up. I'm using brand new drivers for the mid-bass and horn tweeters so I have faith that they are working properly.

They do sound very good. I only have a few memories of the 2441 drivers in other systems to go by so I don't feel confident that are at their best. Each time I've made an improvement upstream I can hear more information through them. Maybe I'm to the point where I'm looking for those last few tweaks. Different xover components, different xover and hookup wire.

I'm doing two new things for me at once, horns and DIY speakers. I'm having fun and learning a lot about sound reproduction.

yggdrasil
02-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Just remember to be careful after you have taken off the back covers. The magnetic field is very strong, and e.g. a flying screwdriver will damage your diaphragm. I'd keep all loose items at good distance.

Zilch
02-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Take pictures of the diaphragms and post them, and the forum will tell you what they are.... :yes:

Dan_ed
02-24-2008, 07:53 AM
Excellent idea,Zilch. They do look pretty clean inside as well, but what do I know. :-) The foam is looking kind of old and brittle, but it doesn't look like it's moved anywhere.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9665311@N07/2287846531/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9665311@N07/2287846729/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9665311@N07/2287846885/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9665311@N07/2287847053/

Robh3606
02-24-2008, 08:01 AM
They are either 2441 or 2445 diaphrams. The color looks like aluminum but I don't know if the 2441 has the dimple in the middle of the diaphram.

Rob:)

Dan_ed
02-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks Rob. Yes it looks like aluminum to be also. I would expect titanium alloy to be a bit darker but I've never seen them. I was able to google up a picture or two of 2445 diaphrams and they didn't show the dimple, FWIW.

Mr. Widget
02-24-2008, 08:52 AM
They look like 2441s to me. They look nice and clean too, though that is no guarantee of performance.

Widget