PDA

View Full Version : Equipment for L-100

emptystring
02-21-2008, 12:59 AM
Hi,

First time poster here - been reading the forums for the past month or so but didn't register.

A bit of sonic information - currently I'm running Epos M5 with Audioquest speaker cables (cv-8), with the Exposure 2010s integrated amplifier and an Onix CD-5 player, using Supra EFF-I as interconnects. I listen to mostly rock (Foo Fighters, NIN, Nirvana, Dream Theater, Smashing Pumpkins), electronica/instrumental (Massive Attack, Apocalyptica, Rob Dougan, etc), and a bit of hard bop jazz (Lee Morgan). My living room/listening area is about 9' x 13' (this is considered large already among average apartments here), left side is half-wall and half-window, right side is open (dining room).

Recently I've been told that vintage JBLs would be very suitable for the music I listen to - so I've been scouting around in Hong Kong (where I currently live, though I am from LA/San Diego originally) for some old school JBLs, and it seems like I might be getting a pair of L-100s (not sure whether they are Century or not), and I'll be auditing it at the shop with my amplifier in early March. Home audits are simply not available here because dealers think it's a waste of time, and because transportation/parking is difficult and costly.

I've got a few questions regarding the equipment I should use if I end up getting the L-100s...

Stands - I've seen some people here put them on full-blown speaker stands (around 24"), but I've also seen users who put them on very short stands (maybe 10"). Some simply treat them as floorstanders and just place them on spikes (with plates in between of course).

Amplifier - Most people in HK seems to think that "McIntosh + JBL = Match Made in Heaven", and googling revealed that this is true to a certain degree, as there is a good amount of testimonials (here and on other forums) supporting this. Should I be looking into eventually getting a McIntosh amp, or should I stick with my Exposure 2010s (75w x2), and maybe get the power amp from them (also 75w x2) if I feel that the integrated alone is inadequate?

Cables - I chose Audioquest in the first place because out of all the major cable brands here they seem be better at bass response. Other prominent brands in HK are Tara Labs, XLO, Van de Hul, Voodoo, and Analysis Plus. What are some other brands that you guys would recommend? I will see if it's possible to find them here.

Anyway, sorry about the long post - just wanted to know more about this sort of thing before I take the plunge. Any response is appreciated =)

SUPERBEE
02-21-2008, 07:12 AM
Ummmmmmmmm...

Just my thoughts but KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Get some nice MAC tube gear (OR SS) and a good set of JBL L-100s. Spend a FEW bucks on interconnects but do not go overboard and be done!

Also look into Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley and Buddy Holly

Just saying!

BTW: Small stands to get them up and tilted back a smidge are a GREAT ideal

How do you like HK?

emptystring
02-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Ummmmmmmmm...

Just my thoughts but KEEP IT SIMPLE!

Get some nice MAC tube gear (OR SS) and a good set of JBL L-100s. Spend a FEW bucks on interconnects but do not go overboard and be done!

Also look into Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley and Buddy Holly

Just saying!

BTW: Small stands to get them up and tilted back a smidge are a GREAT ideal

How do you like HK?

So maybe the MA2275? I don't think I have the money for McIntosh pre/power combo...in fact I think even the MA6900 is out of my budget...looks like I can only afford 6300, hahah. I'm really after an amp (or pre/power combo) that can pump deep/clean/fast bass out of the L-100s. Do you think a Naim pre/power combo (like 122x/150x) will do the job? That's somewhat within my budget....

And how does one differentiate a "good" set from a "bad" set of L-100s? This'll be my first time buying vintage/restored speakers, so I don't really know what to look out for.

As for cables - the ones I have now seem to be doing great in the low-freq/bass department, so I will keep them and see how they perform with McI/JBL.

As for HK, I used to live here for a bit (1995-1997) before moving back to the states for high school/college, so it's nothing new/crazy. I miss my car though, because driving here is a pain in the ass - parking is costly (parking spots have their own real estate market here), and the steering wheel is on the other side of the car :banghead:

Zilch
02-21-2008, 12:37 PM
None of that matters.

Give L100s sufficient clean power from virtually any source, and you will enjoy the full measure of L100's artificially enhanced "West Coast" musical presentation.... :yes:

bradster56
02-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Bryston:barf: