PDA

View Full Version : Suffered another hiccup with my XPL-200A's

pasadena
02-19-2008, 02:50 AM
After some weeks enjoying my new 046Ti's replacements in my 200's, I've suffered another setback today where all my drivers took a hit in terms of DCR value drops. My previous post was in regards to my 046Ti's being cooked by a shot of white noise. This time it seems that the 046Ti's took the brunt of the damage.

My daughter was listening to a movie but this time, instead of white noise, a loud constant buzzing/beep noise eminated from the speakers, like something out of stargate when they open the doors to their underground facility but with a constant beep tone added in. I noticed my meridian 568.2mm pre-pro had lost audio sync with the DVD player. Using the remote or the buttons on the 568 did not work so I had to do a hard reset in order for it to work again and pick up the sound from my DVD player. The DVD player is a $50 cheapie and I have been noticing occasional dropouts.

I retested the values on all drivers except the 2214H-1's as I didn't think these would have been affected and I couldn't be bother lifting the heavy suckers out to test them.

Left Speaker:
046Ti – 4.3 is now 4.0
093Ti – 3.9 is now 3.6
115H-1 – 4.6 is now 4.4
2214H-1 – 6.3 not tested.

Right Speaker:
046Ti – 4.6 is now 4.0
093Ti – 4.2 is now 4.1
115H-1 – 4.9 is now 4.6
2214H-1 – 6.6 not tested.

One thing I have noticed is that I now have to crank up the volume a bit more to get the same level prior to this incident. Is this due to drop in DCR values?

They sound ok but I'm sure I've a slight difference to the sound coming out of the 200's. I have spoken to G.T about nominal operating DC range for the above drivers and even after the drops, they still seem to be within nominal operating limits.

Would such DCR value drops have any affect on the sound from the drivers?

I think I'm going to take up duaneage's idea of placing thermistors in the crossovers to protect the tweeters from such damage. Will thermistors affect the performance of the tweeters in any way if implemented?

I'm also toying with the idea of getting rid of my Meridian 568.2mm as it's caused me nothing but grief since I bought it not long ago. Actually, I'm thinking about throwing in the towl because I'm fed up.

Oh well, just have to move forward. Thankfully the sound from 200's have not been affected somewhat and have to re-evaluate all my components in my system to see what stays and what goes.

Cheers
Pasadena.