PDA

View Full Version : electronics for lsr6332

Guns
02-14-2008, 04:03 AM
I am planning to buy lsr6332 based on the reviews here for home but i am not sure about the electronics, it would be great help. thanks in advance

timc
02-14-2008, 04:22 AM
I am planning to buy lsr6332 based on the reviews here for home but i am not sure about the electronics, it would be great help. thanks in advance

I would go with a biampsetup. A good SS amp for the woofer, and maybe a really good tube amp for the top.

How much are you planning to sepend on electronics?

-Tim

Guns
02-14-2008, 09:10 PM
at the max i can spend $1200 for electronics as i have budget constraints.what is your opinion on crown dsi1000.

timc
02-15-2008, 04:52 AM
Hi.

Im currently using a Crown XTi wich is similar to the CDi. Very good bottom, but the mids and hight suck........

At $1200 i would go with a good SS amp. Rotel might work for you.

-Tim

richluvsound
02-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Guns,

I would have a look at the Bryston 3bst . I think they would sound brilliant.

Clean mid and Highs and a tight punch on the low end. They go for around £500 in mint condition. Then ,when have some more cash look for a nice little valve amp to bi-amp them .

Or, a valve output pre and the Bryston. What kind of music do you most listen to ? Vinyl or CD ?

Rich

Guns
02-16-2008, 01:42 AM
Hi
found a dealer who sells brystons products but very highly priced 2bsst cost $3750 & 3Bsst is $4375, way out of my reach.i need to locate where seconds or used amps are available.Pls suggest any other brands.

Guns
02-16-2008, 01:48 AM
i listen to cds

timc
02-16-2008, 02:03 AM
If you stretch the budget a bit you might be able to find a used Mark Levinson No.331. Thats a great amd that you can live with for many years.

Personally i don't like the Brystons. I find them a bit harsh sounding in the mids/highs. Very good bass in them though.

-Tim

richluvsound
02-16-2008, 03:02 AM
Guns,

not sure about your name !!!!!!:blink: Anyway, I have heard very good things about this gear. http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/pas4isl_e.html

You are going to have to import to find a deal!

Rich

timc
02-16-2008, 03:53 AM
That amp sure looks nice Rich.

Have you tried it? The price is good also. Very clean design it seems.

-Tim

richluvsound
02-16-2008, 04:23 AM
Hi Tim,

Gerrard from Morroco was here a while back. He uses the gear. I respect the guy so I feel comfortable putting the brand forward. Van Alstine is from Audio Research- pretty good credentials and well within the budget.

Rich

Valentin
02-18-2008, 04:41 PM
look at audiogon plenty of bryston there for your mony

Guns
02-19-2008, 12:45 AM
Dear Valentin,
Thankx for the advise will lookup the site.just out of curiosity what percentage of the total sum is allocated for source,amp,speaker & cables.
In India people give lot of weightage for cables, is it really that important, does it make the music sound that much different:blink:.Thanks in advance
Guns

Mr. Widget
02-19-2008, 01:02 AM
You might consider the Bryston B100 SST. If you are worried about cables you can eliminate at least one pair as it is an integrated amp. :) It is built like a tank and sounds exceptionally good. They even have a version with a built in DAC so that you can take a digital signal from a CD player or music server and have it processed right in the amp. I am generally a separates advocate, but this piece is an exception.

http://www.bryston.ca/intsel.html

Widget

Ian Mackenzie
02-19-2008, 01:46 AM
This particular monitor will show up not just your amp but your source.

It also depends on what you like to play and how loud.

The LRS series like to eat up lots of watts for their dynamics so I think 200 watts would be . Any less and you risk blowing the tweeters.

I dont know if you are into diy but this is well regarded and can be prbuilt.
It was compared a ML favourable.

http://www.ska-audio.com/diy/003.html

These are also very good ..thousands have been sold world wide and can be purchased pre assembled.

http://www.aussieamplifiers.com/index3.htm

Guns
02-20-2008, 01:39 AM
Lsr6332 is THX certified and Crown DSi series is also THX certified then theroticaly they both should be a perfect match for music as THX certifies sound and vision,question is pratically will it sound good??

timc
02-20-2008, 02:04 AM
Lsr6332 is THX certified and Crown DSi series is also THX certified then theroticaly they both should be a perfect match for music as THX certifies sound and vision,question is pratically will it sound good??

THX doesn't say much about the sound quality....You get Logitech speakers with THX.

The crown amps don't sound very good in the mid/highs. I own one so i know. For bass use they are awesome.

-Tim

Guns
03-05-2008, 05:48 AM
Hi,
I had been to a local dealer for checking Amps but when he heard that i was planning for lsr6332 his reply was that it needs big room and will need to be perfectly acoustic and needs to be played at high volume,further he said that near or mid feild varies from speaker to speaker so need to sit atleast 20ft from the speakers.have doubts if this is true,since i am planning to use this in home setup what minimum acoustics needs to be done,what should be the minimum room size(mine is 15ft by10ft & since it should be close to the wall i thought it wont occupy too much space) ,and can it be played at low volumes.

pos
03-05-2008, 06:11 AM
That "cannot play at low volume" statement always seems doubtful to me.
There is no physical reason for such a thing.

The LSR6332 is really a near to mid field speaker, made to be used at 4 to 6 feet I think.

The medium and tweeter are very close together, and the medium goes down to 250hz, so I would guess this speaker can be used with a short listening distance and still maintain a very good imaging.

I have a pair of 4412 (the ancestor of your LSR), and the medium only goes down to 800hz, so the woofer also plays its part in the imaging. I find they give their best at a 6ft listening distance (and 6ft apart as well, on the tweeter axis).
Any closer and you start too loose imaging (the blend is lost), any farther and they seem too "small", too weak.

Valentin
03-05-2008, 10:03 AM
so need to sit atleast 20ft from the speakers

thats :blah::blah::blah::bs:

but if you are felling discuraged buy the lsr6328 and the lsr6312sub

forget buying amps and have the versatility of fine tuneing with the RMC (room mode control)

you will not be disaponted

Guns
03-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks a lot for your valuable advises.
Thanks,
guns

Guns
03-08-2008, 04:59 AM
I checked out a Proton pre amp AP 400 pro & dual mono power amp AA461 pro having 250 wpc the price qouted was around $750 for combo,can any one please advise me as to will it be suitable for lsr6332.i am not able to find the spec details on the net.

Thanks,

Guns

richluvsound
03-08-2008, 07:27 AM
Guns,

anything that cheap new aint gonna do that speaker justice. Sorry try again !

Rich

Guns
03-08-2008, 10:13 AM
Extremely sorry forget to add that these are USED and below is the exact note by the seller on net.

Well maintained Proton brand audiophile grade Preamp & Power Amplifier is available for sale. The units are made in California, USA and they are matching units. The Preamp is a non-remote control model. The Preamp has both Balanced/Un-Balanced outputs and the Power Amplifier has both Balanced/Un-Balanced Inputs.

Model of PreAmplifier: AA-400 Pro
Model of Power Amplifier: AP-460 Pro

* The Preamp has ... Volume and Balance controls ... Listen and Record Selector Rotary knobs.
* The output power of the Power Amplifier is 200 Watts RMS per channel @ 8 Ohms

Please advise and thanks

Guna

Minatogawaman
04-02-2008, 09:59 PM
I tried some of the options that have been suggested here. If you look under my handle you'll find a similar discussion thread from last year. Ultimately, I managed to ruin an LSR6332 mid driver with my ill-conceived foray into powering the upper-bass, mids and highs with a 30-watt EL 34 tube amp while the LSR6312 handled the low bass.

Later, I switched to a Hafler SR series pro amp. Much better. I run LSR32s/LSR12 inthe bedroom as home theater on the L,R,C with Accuphase amps. The rear channels are the little active LSRs. It works great. I also have the LSR28 coupled with another LSR12 in the study. Again, awesome combination.

The LSR 32 works really well at near and mid field. Whoever told you to sit 20 feet away is dead wrong. These speakers are a ridiculous value, but they are power hungry and have relatively low impedance,which spells ballsy amp.

speakerdave
04-03-2008, 07:02 PM
. . . . The LSR 32 works really well at near and mid field. Whoever told you to sit 20 feet away is dead wrong. These speakers are a ridiculous value, but they are power hungry and have relatively low impedance,which spells ballsy amp.

Yeah, and clean sources; I gotta say, whoever doesn't like this speaker I highly suspect needs to fix something upstream.

David

Ian Mackenzie
04-03-2008, 07:49 PM
I don't think that dislike has ever been the issue.

It was never engineered for home use so I guess a large proportion of the population might have a preference for some of JBL's better consumer offerings.

speakerdave
04-03-2008, 08:25 PM
. . . . It was never engineered for home use so I guess a large proportion of the population might have a preference for some of JBL's better consumer offerings.

We certainly agree on that.

Guns
04-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the valuable info.
I called up the country head Mr.Sushil of Harmon Pro and asked him if i could audition the Lsr 6332 and he told me to come to his home as he was using them with 6312 for his personel use.I was more than delighted at the invitation and took my cd collections and heard them in home environment with & without the sub.The electronics used were Panasonic DVD player,Denon pro processor for Pre & Crown XTi 2000 as power.

It was fantastic experience and sounded nice in a home environment,i had a great session and lot of info and input was given to me A BIG THANKS TO SUSHIL.

I requested him if i could bring the Proton pre and power amp to audition them with 6332 and he agreed and we met again a weak later and connected the Protons(approx 400 WPC),It was again a wonderful experience to listen to LSR with the Protons.Sushil told me that it was the cheapest option available to me as i had limited budget.

As i have limited budget i will not be able to buy the LSR Sub now to get a complete bandwidth.but is it possiable to increase only the base by using EQ.How do i place the speaker to get the best bass extension.further by doing bass extension will the bass sound still be tight or boomy.

Used Marantz 63SE cdp is available for sale any opinions on this player.If i connect a cdp which has a bit more of bass in it will the output sound be good.Please do suggest other cd players.

Thanks for all your support.

Guns

Guns
08-26-2008, 05:17 AM
Dear all,
I am planning to bi amp the lsr 6332 with 2 identical stereo amps (Rotel rb980bx)they would be vertical biamped and the manual says it can be passively biamped. How efficient are the crossover inside for passive biamping as tech note says crossovers design have improved over the years, has anyone done this and how are the results.
Thanks in advance
Guns

Guns
01-13-2009, 03:33 AM
Dear All,
I finally resold the protons and picked up a pair of Rotel RB-980bx and also Denon AVD-2020 processor as preamp/DAC. the output from the philips DVD player is connected via coax cable to the processor. the Amps are passive vertical biamped. the results are amazing, the bass has become more tight and the mid and highs are more smooth. i know this still may not be the best setup but its a vast improvement from the protons. :applaud:
would like to thank all the forum members who helped me in the process
Guna