PDA

View Full Version : Need advice- monitors or vintage speakers

stm
02-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Hi,
I recently discovered this site and really appreciate all the insight contained on here.
Just wondering what would be the differences in sound between the following- L100, 120ti, and 4410a/4412a. Also, do you consider the original 4400 series to be better sounding than the 4400a series ?

I know this is all very broad, but just trying to get some fresh opinions from experts.
I am trying to figure out what to go after. I grew up listening to various L series speakers in the 70s and 80s and still get a kick out of my father's mint L100s when visiting him. I am by no means an audiophile, but I am partial to the warm, powerful sound of the speakers I grew up listening to. I have never heard studio monitors but a person in the know told me to seek out the 4400a series as they were the contemporary version of the old L series. After going thru the archives here, it seems there are notable differences though. For instance, some seem to find the monitor sound 'dry'

I know this is broad, but what do you consider a better sounding speaker for a home user prone to rock and electronic music- the 120ti or the 4410a/4412a or a good condition L series speaker from years ago. If I did A/B tests, would I hear a world of difference ?

Sorry for neophyte questions, but I haven't given much thought to speakers in years and only just started dipping my feet into the river.

Thanks so much

hjames
02-13-2008, 09:21 AM
There are some huge differences in those speakers.
Suggest you find some folks with some of the various models and go have a listen, educate your ears a bit more!

Hi,
I recently discovered this site and really appreciate all the insight contained on here.
Just wondering what would be the differences in sound between the following- L100, 120ti, and 4410a/4412a. Also, do you consider the original 4400 series to be better sounding than the 4400a series

BMWCCA
02-13-2008, 10:06 AM
know this is broad, but what do you consider a better sounding speaker for a home user prone to rock and electronic music- the 120ti or the 4410a/4412a or a good condition L series speaker from years ago. If I did A/B tests, would I hear a world of difference ? Yeah, you'd notice a difference. But given your chances of ever hearing them all together, why not just make a purchase of a pair of one of your choices and see if you like them? The way things are these days, you'll make the decision on your budget and what's available. Pick the best example you can find and live with it for a while. If you don't like it, sell it and bank your profits.

Many here think the 120ti has a much better bottom end than the 4412A (with the same LF 128H-1), and a better tweeter. Some say the mids have different tonal qualities due to cone material. I own the 4412A and can't image wanting more bass and the mids and highs seem perfectly perfect to me to the extent they show how crappy most recordings really are these days. On the good stuff (Nora Jones is my current example for rock and pop recording quality) they're a treat.

Some say the 4410A is a better speaker than the 4412A. I'd guess that placement and room are the more critical issues when comparing those two. Opinions are like . . . well, you know. You're not going to be disappointed with with any of those you've listed. Just look for the best condition and best deal on one and pull the trigger. You'll likely, like most of us here, become a proponent of whatever you've got and whatever you're used to. They will all blow a pair of L100s away in nearly every aspect you can name. And with resale as it is, you'll never lose a dime if you don't like what you got, or you just want to try another model. And don't overlook the L80t series if you like the 10" transducers.

I'd also throw in the L112 (Century II), or the L150A if you've got the room. To some ears and, on some recordings, the 044 (non-ti) is easier to listen to than the titanium UHFs (044ti or 052ti). Good luck! Let us know what you find.

Gary L
02-13-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm an Altec fan so I can't shed much light here regarding the speakers you mention.

My advice will always be that anyone just getting involved and who wants nice speakers should follow a few simple rules.

Size does matter! There are many nice sounding bookshelf size speakers but I would always say to go for cabinets that will fit in your listening room and the bigger the better.

Match your speakers to your listening room, your system and to your wallet. It makes no sense to buy great speakers to be played through a not so great system or in a room that is non acoustical by its nature.
They can only be as good as the weakest link.

Do Not listen to us or your friends! Allow your ears to do the listening to the speakers you think you want. Just because I or We like them does not mean you will.

Lastly, if vintage is what you think you want then make sure you are not buying models that contain speakers or other parts that are nearly impossible to replace or repair.

Most of us here have been through many different speakers and have in some ways already traveled the road you are on. Most of us are also still traveling on that road but a bit further ahead.

Some are very happy with what we have while others never will be.

Welcome to the LH site and I hope you hang around and join in our discussions with what you learn along the way.

Gary

Zilch
02-13-2008, 01:26 PM
I know this is broad, but what do you consider a better sounding speaker for a home user prone to rock and electronic music.Notoriously inaccurate "West Coast sound" L100s artificially enhance rock music -- fake, but fun.

They are most appropriate for playing air guitar in face paint and loin cloth, real or virtual, underwear being a common alternate.

Dad may not yet have outgrown that phase in the listening preference maturation process.... :p

grumpy
02-13-2008, 01:35 PM
...playing air guitar in face paint and loin cloth, real or virtual, underwear being a common alternate.

... not that there's anything wrong with that.

SEAWOLF97
02-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Some say the 4410A is a better speaker than the 4412A. I'd guess that placement and room are the more critical issues when comparing those two.

All that the "A" means is that it is a grey cabinet and has NO adjustment pots...they were made for studio work. The "NON-A" version is a much better fit for home environment. Good veneer and hi and mid pots.

I've had both the 4410 & 4412 's and in the SAME position in the same room. The 4412 produces more bass ( 12 in vs 10 in. ) but it seem "flabby" and the 4410 images much better, tho some (not me) describe it as dry.

My 4412's were sold 3 months ago , will not sell the 4410's ( I think )

AND...just to confuse things a bit....I have some L80t's that have the same driver load as the 4410's and they are nothing special. Too bright , no pots, not great imaging.

BMWCCA
02-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Actually, the A's and the non-A's have different HFs—052ti vs. 035ti. (It's the 4312A that has the same tweeter as the 4412 non-A.) I also have the 035ti in my L20t's but I can't say I've put them side-by-side with the 4412A's to compare. Both seem to work well. As I mentioned, I think the reputation the 4410 seems to have here over the 4412 may be more of a placement issue. Again, I've not compared them but I know the 4412A is heavily influenced by placement and barrier reinforcement, meaning how close to the floor or wall they are. If you get them up at ear-level, and horizontal, as they're designed, I can't find any fault. I do tend to forget not everyone has an EQ for room adjustments so they have to fiddle with the pots. I'm not so encumbered with the 4412As. ;)

My point being, with things as they are these days, jumping on any of these will most likely bring enjoyment while the OP looks for a second pair of something else so he can come back here with some illuminating critical analysis. :D

SUPERBEE
02-14-2008, 12:54 AM
The L-100's are pretty KICK-ASS

pos
02-14-2008, 01:33 AM
I own the 4412A and can't image wanting more bass and the mids and highs seem perfectly perfect to me to the extent they show how crappy most recordings really are these days. On the good stuff (Nora Jones is my current example for rock and pop recording quality) they're a treat.
I have the same filling about the 4412 : the bass is not really extended but everything seems to be as it should, and the result is really pleasant. I really like the midbass quality of the 128H.

About Nora Jones, I downloaded her "Come away with me" album in mp3 to decide if I wanted to by the CD. The songs were good and seem to be well recorded, but I could hear some defects. I thought it was due the mp3 encoding, so I finally bought the CD and... the defects are still there :(
eg, on the first song: there are many digitals clicks, and also some saturations (1:54, on the left channel)
sorry for the OT

spwal
02-14-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm an Altec fan so I can't shed much light here regarding the speakers you mention.

My advice will always be that anyone just getting involved and who wants nice speakers should follow a few simple rules.

Size does matter! There are many nice sounding bookshelf size speakers but I would always say to go for cabinets that will fit in your listening room and the bigger the better.

Match your speakers to your listening room, your system and to your wallet. It makes no sense to buy great speakers to be played through a not so great system or in a room that is non acoustical by its nature.
They can only be as good as the weakest link.

Do Not listen to us or your friends! Allow your ears to do the listening to the speakers you think you want. Just because I or We like them does not mean you will.

Lastly, if vintage is what you think you want then make sure you are not buying models that contain speakers or other parts that are nearly impossible to replace or repair.

Most of us here have been through many different speakers and have in some ways already traveled the road you are on. Most of us are also still traveling on that road but a bit further ahead.

Some are very happy with what we have while others never will be.

Welcome to the LH site and I hope you hang around and join in our discussions with what you learn along the way.

Gary

Great note gary...

Zilch
02-14-2008, 09:28 PM
The L-100's are pretty KICK-ASS...

BMWCCA
02-14-2008, 11:04 PM
About Nora Jones, I downloaded her "Come away with me" album in mp3 to decide if I wanted to by the CD. The songs were good and seem to be well recorded, but I could hear some defects. I thought it was due the mp3 encoding, so I finally bought the CD and... the defects are still there :(Her first two just put me to sleep. Try Not Too Late. I think you'll like it better.

Akira
02-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Since you live in Toronto your welcome to come over to my place to listen to some 4315 studio monitors along side a pair of 4411's and original L100's.
The 4411's are mirror imaged and are one of the last incarnations of the original 4310 (L100) series so they should be the best but, I myself have always liked the original 4310 that started it all.
The wife wants me to sell off some of my inventory as it rarely gets played so it is either the 4411's or a set of Tannoys......OR MAYBE I'LL JUST KEEP BUYING MORE STUFF AND P___ HER OFF.;)

stm
02-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the very helpful replies. Will keep you posted.