PDA

View Full Version : 18ti Pi - 4408A

kenlou
02-13-2008, 07:07 AM
Hi everybody, i'm writing form Italy and this is my first thread. I have been hooked on jbl and USA loudspeakers since i was a child (my father got a pair of Altec).
I love listen R&B, Soul and Jazz but i'm also a House/Soulful house Dj (not producer) and always wanted a pair of JBL to use as Dj monitor/ loudspeakers . My Dj booth is very small so woofer cannot be more than 6.5' (8' max).
I found on web these auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.it/CASSE-JBL-STUDIO-MONITOR-PROFESSIONAL-Ti-18-Pi_W0QQitemZ130197191210QQihZ003QQcategoryZ14991QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.it/JBL-Studio-Monitor-4408A_W0QQitemZ320215628682QQihZ011QQcategoryZ7588 1QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Someone can tell me if these are good to use as Dj Monitor and as normal Loudspeaker?
anybody know that version of Ti18 "pi" ??:blink:
If someone want to suggest some other model of JBl good form my use, i'll really appreciate it.:D
Thanx,
Adriano

kenlou
02-15-2008, 02:43 AM
:( No one can help me?
...Could someone just tell me how the 18ti Pi sounds?
thanx however...

Don C
02-15-2008, 08:54 AM
The 18Ti pi seems to be an L20T with black paint. It doesn't seem to have have the improved tweeter of the 18Ti that we know. That looks like an 035Ti or maybe 035Tia. Given the un-serviceability of the 044Ti found in our 18Tis, that's probably a good thing. It's the first time we've seen theese speakers, I don't think that they were ever offered in the US. The L20T is a good sounding speaker for it's size. It's obviously shy on bass compared to anything bigger. I've had mine playing in the same room as some B&W DM110i, and they compared favorably, slightly better bass, otherwise no big differences. I compared them to some Yamaha NS10s once and the little JBLs beat them in every way. You'll notice that it starts to get some power compression at very loud listening levels, the only solution is to turn it down. I use two sets of these little JBls here, one set of L20T for an office system, and a set of L20T3 as surround speakers in my home theater setup. I've never regretted buying them.

Fangio
02-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Never seen these 'Ti 18 Pi's before, interesting.

If it was me I'd rather go with the 4408's because they are probably capable of a bit more bass (I've had black L60TBQ's with the same components for a while). If you'd be seriously interested in them, there is a forum member in exact that area who could perhaps check them out for you.. although the asked price is insane – even if demo models as advertised, IMO 1/2 - 2/3 of that might still be passable, given the rarity of 44xx monitors in Italy.

Good luck.

BMWCCA
02-16-2008, 09:22 AM
The 4408As look nice, but then they're six-times as expensive as the 4412As I bought two years ago . . . and that doesn't include shipping! Yikes!

I'm extremely pleased with my L20Ts, even though they are miles smaller than any of my other four pairs of JBLs. They do a great job in a small room and, from what we can tell, are quite similar to your 18Ti pi.

kenlou
02-18-2008, 02:18 AM
thanx everybody :)
I lost the auction of 18ti , but I asked for the 4408 a lower price , also if to find a brand new pair of 4408 is not so easy in europe...
I hope to start my JBL journey with these Studio monitor...
;)

richluvsound
02-18-2008, 03:10 AM
Hi Kenlo,

welcome to the madness. :applaud:

I had a pair of L 36 as dj monitors. They were mounted horizontally on an angle from the ceiling with the TT between. The sound was lovely. Absolute crap for beat mixing(headphones:D) ,but perfect for the wind down post 4am

I have a mint pair of 4401. They need refoaming, they sit here un-used.
100 euros+ shipping and their yours. Just a thought, they do have nice full sound.

If I could find a pair of L36 in Europe I'd snap them up in a blink.

Good luck with your quest.

Rich

kenlou
02-19-2008, 02:38 AM
"The sound was lovely. Absolute crap for beat mixing(headphones:D) ,but perfect for the wind down post 4am"

Sorry for my ignorance :p, but does It means that this kind of JBL is not good for beatmixing? because beatmixing is exactly what i do :(, as i play soulful house /garage music, and i just found a pair of L36 decade like brand new.

I found also a pair of 4311 and a pair of 4312a. :D

which is the best between this 2 legends?