PDA

View Full Version : Refoam gone bad

louped garouv
02-12-2008, 01:07 PM
so what do you do when you brought your speakers (Urei 809As) to a local, reputable speaker repair shop for a 'refoam' and they tear the original cones? it's about 3/4" tear towards the center of the cone from about "7 O'clock" (had the speaker been a clock face)

i realize that a recone is now certainly in order, but what to do regarding the shop in question related to payment for "services" already rendered...

to be honest, i don't really want to pay the shop for screwing up my vintage cones...

I did a better job myself on some Bose 501s and AR3As a few months ago..

figured i'd pay a pro to do the JBLs... what a mistake...

:banghead:

louped garouv
02-12-2008, 01:10 PM
BTW, when the shop called informing me the job was complete, the neglected to mention the torn cone...

:barf:

opimax
02-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Sounds reputable is in question here. Shouldn't try to get away w/poor work. Speak w/owner/manager, p[oint out the facts see whatt hey offer or tell them exactly what you expect. I would not give them money because the damage they did is greater than what you bought .

They should recone your speaker !!

Mark

louped garouv
02-12-2008, 02:52 PM
still in talks with the shop, i may just end up bad mouthing them all over the internet....

:(

here are a few pics...

top is a little glue glob at the surround/cone junction
bottom two are the tear in the cone...
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/306/urei809hackjob005az9.th.jpg (http://img184.imageshack.us/my.php?image=urei809hackjob005az9.jpg)
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/561/urei809hackjob003lp4.th.jpg (http://img409.imageshack.us/my.php?image=urei809hackjob003lp4.jpg)
http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/1638/urei809hackjob007av5.th.jpg (http://img184.imageshack.us/my.php?image=urei809hackjob007av5.jpg)

Rolf
02-13-2008, 02:25 PM
As You said but.... why save money? re-cone is the only way.
tada.

TransducerLover
02-13-2008, 08:50 PM
tada.
Real life eye. says the cones were not good . crappy :applaud:

Allanvh5150
02-13-2008, 09:39 PM
So tell us all who the shop is............:applaud:

toddalin
02-14-2008, 10:33 AM
It's not enough to just recone the one. You should do the pair so they match. Good luck!

louped garouv
02-14-2008, 10:50 AM
tada.

lesson learned...

after some more resaerch on where to now get them reconed; it sounds like the HiFi shop "ListenUp" in Denver sends all their JBL repair work down to the Springs at Audio Analysts...

I'll be heading down that way soon i guess....

:)

(If you want the shop info and proprietor's name, please send a pm)

My biggest issue through this experience was the owner of the recone shop refusing to come down to his shop to check the work his people did... actually refused to go see the results....

:blink:

seems like they do a brisk business servicing vintage B&W...
and as a serivce shop for the local musician scene...

louped garouv
02-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Real life eye. says the cones were not good . crappy :applaud:

how can you tell....

when i got the UREIs, the second owner had just make the hole in the surrounds, he got too close with a vacuum wand trying to do some dusting before i picked them up...

the other unit's surround was intact, but felt somewhat "soft" -- i guess degrading.....

but how can you tell when a cone itself is bad?

subwoof
02-16-2008, 02:55 PM
paper goes bad with age when exposed to UV, humidity and such. And who is to say that batch wasn't "marginal" to begin with??

Some of the old 3" coil paper dustcaps will actually shatter when you tap on them. I have seen cones that will crack when flexed.

That cone looked very faded compared to a new one. Remember it can be as old as 1982 and how many hours a day was it used as a monitor??

Look at a 2 year old car when it is used as a taxi and needs brakes every 30 days...:o)

With a recone you get 2008 glue, foam, spider, coil, etc and it will behave like a new speaker.

sub

ps - post his arrogant attitude and phone number....:)

JBL 4645
02-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Trail and error is the case sorry that the re-cone didn’t go well, it’s not like fixing a broken wheel on a bike, and they need to be lined up with close precession.

What about using newer formulas do away with foam surround and try newer techniques that will last for several years in the home.

louped garouv
02-17-2008, 08:00 AM
ps - post his arrogant attitude and phone number....:)

i did, but the moderator community evidently felt it appropriate to censor such info....

Last edited by boputnam : 02-14-2008 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Protecting the proprietor, known to others to be reputable

all i can post is that the owner (which some of you here may have a relationship with) does not seem to be doing the work anymore, which i understand -- given his apparent health issues, but that does not in my honest opinion, make how this went down "right," given how the refoam came out... they guys there just did poor job IMO

when my mother went down for a few months when she found she had cervical cancer when I was a teenager... we didn't start churning substandard product from out the family restaurant kitchen (which the rest of the faimly was running in her absence), we had standards to uphold, both related to product and service...

opimax
02-18-2008, 07:20 AM
I am not sure why is not OK to post their name. If you telling actual factual events that is something I would want to hear and know about. if their are a reputable shop then they should act like it and not be given special treatment here IMHO, sounds like dbl standards...

Did they say I have some concerns about working on your older speaker sir?
are they the experts?

Did they say it isn't lying if we damage your product and not tell you about it?
great business model

Mark

Am I missing something? we have had OC in here defending their work..

4313B
02-18-2008, 09:16 AM
still in talks with the shop, i may just end up bad mouthing them all over the internet....

i did, but the moderator community evidently felt it appropriate to censor such info....I think you should discuss the matter with them and let them know that you feel like starting a gank session on this website before actually doing it.

Send them the link to this thread.

I've still got a problem with how the whole Hal Cox thing went down...

we have had OC in here defending their work..That actually went pretty well... we could have had a real gankfest from that.

I'm trying to come at this from louped's side... trying to imagine how I would feel if someone effed up something like a 1500AL... oh wait... I don't have to imagine it... I sent a 1500AL back to JBL for repair and it came back all scruffed up and looking second hand... I won't post the names of the guys who jacked it up... that's the last time I send something to JBL for repair though. See how that works?

louped garouv
02-19-2008, 09:08 AM
I think you should discuss the matter with them and let them know that you feel like starting a gank session on this website before actually doing it.

Send them the link to this thread.

I'm trying to come at this from louped's side... trying to imagine how I would feel if someone effed up something like a 1500AL... oh wait... I don't have to imagine it... I sent a 1500AL back to JBL for repair and it came back all scruffed up and looking second hand... I won't post the names of the guys who jacked it up... that's the last time I send something to JBL for repair though. See how that works?

I don't think it's really a "gank session"

they didn't mention any reservation about doing the work on older drivers,
nor did they warn me that things sometimes get fouled up during the process...
nor did they inform me that something had gone wrong after it did,
it took me noticing it...

I tried to come to "common ground" when speaking with the owner...
(who said the damage wouldn't effect performance, without seeing the handiwork even)
after first seeing the work and refusing pick up,
but before returning to the store later
that evening to pick them up...

In my mind, it's more about sharing my experience in an attempt to save others some grief... (maybe i'm wrong on this desire, whatever....)

(which btw is something I told everyone in the shop (and the adjacent one) I felt was my only recourse upon paying for services rendered and picking them up...)

i'd rather chalk it up to experience and not deal with that particular repair business ever again...

$100 lesson learned IMO

on the bright side, the units are not dead....
looks like it'll be about $500 for Audio Analysts down in the Springs to get me straight...

i understand they are the absolute best in the state from some guys who have worked at the local hi-fi stores....

now to get the boxes rehabed/veneered and the drivers reconed....

I actually spoke a few times to Hal, great story guy IMO...
I had bought some large lenses off of him...

(still waiting on his kids to get through his storage units for a
single H Bracket he was supposed to send my way before
he moved to where he's living now --
but they are working the situation still)

i miss talking to Hal... hope he is well

diamondsouled
02-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Makes me think that taking a photo of the speaker before putting it in for repair is a good idea, at least then they can't say that the damage was already done.

It is true though that as well as the foam aging the paper of the cone ages as well and may become brittle and easier to tear. The thing I would take issue with though is that they ripped the cone while doing the repair and didn't mention it; whether that was intentional or an oversight is hard to say.

Lar