PDA

View Full Version : 4345 bliss.

NewZenith
02-08-2008, 11:31 AM
I am finally settled in with my new system, it is lovely.
I know it may sound sappy but I am grateful for all of those who were involved in their development and continued improvement.
I feel very fortunate, they are a joy to listen to.
Driver complement is as follows, 2245H, 2122H, 435Be on 2311 (aftermarket) with 1.5 to 2.00 inch adapters, 077.
Giskard's charged couple network design, JBL M552 crossed over at 300 cycles.
Hafler 9505 and 9303 on top.

hjames
02-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Very fine looking system, enjoy!

bigyank
02-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Sweeet! Now fix your surge proector! :applaud:

Yank

richluvsound
02-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Nice Rig.:applaud:

45 fever around here lately !

Rich

timc
02-08-2008, 01:11 PM
Very nice looking setup :applaud:

-Tim

grumpy
02-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Very nice indeed. I'd even take them with Florentine grilles ;)

Has anyone described the utility of trimming parts from the acoustic lens?
I recall pictures of Asian-sourced/created lenses here, but nothing on why...
(could well be I've forgotten).

-grumpy

jblnut
02-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Very nice indeed!

Now, what has become of your very special XPL250's ? Are they playing "second fiddle" now ?

:)

jblnut

NewZenith
02-08-2008, 03:40 PM
[quote=jblnut;199964]Very nice indeed!

Now, what has become of your very special XPL250's ? Are they playing "second fiddle" now ?

My VSXPL250's are sitting in the hallway collecting dust. I am so impressed with the performance of Giskards passive networks that I am going to try and glue the 250's together that way instead of the active four-way. I basically intend to build a passive three way not unlike what is used for the 4345 monitors. Of course built around the different drivers and their specific needs. I did some work on the prototype T030 drivers to smooth out there impedance bump. Turns out too much volume in the magnet pot. Stuffed an orig in the gap and made A Cork gasket for the diaphragm plate. I still need to run a comprehensive impedance plot.
NZ.

Krunchy
02-08-2008, 05:11 PM
You have a beautiful set-up sir!

sourceoneaudio
02-08-2008, 05:21 PM
Those l@@k to be R.R. Satin Black Ash front baffle 4345's?

So they stayed on the east coast.

Little too close together?????? :p

Rusnzha
02-08-2008, 08:19 PM
4345 + 435Be + Giskard/CCd custom crossovers, you got one of a kind -- totally f'n amazing!!! I would be sappy too.

invstbiker
02-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Great looking wallpaper, dude, reminds me of the time I lived in Newtown-At the Flagpole-38 Main to be exact and stripping wallpaper in an 18th century home for my parents, same cast iron heaters too. Best of luck with the 45's :applaud:

Ian Mackenzie
02-08-2008, 11:16 PM
I am sure I recall seeing those the I was over there.

I'd be surprised if it was not the same pair.

What do you think Clark?

Nice score.

spwal
02-09-2008, 01:35 AM
cant wait to come check them out!

you guys should hear the modded 250 ti that NZ has, excellent! he gushes that this system kicks that one all over the place. I shudder to think....

maybe someday I will get to try some CC networks ;)

oh nice new camera btw...

Robh3606
02-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Nice looking set-up!!

So you like the 2435 on the short horn?? No network changes?? I have a 2307 beater here that I have been thinking about cutting down.

Rob:)

JBL 4645
02-09-2008, 07:06 AM
I’ve no doubt that those 4345 pound you in the chest with JBL Just Bone Crushing Lovely Sound.
:applaud:

NewZenith
02-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Nice looking set-up!!

So you like the 2435 on the short horn?? No network changes?? I have a 2307 beater here that I have been thinking about cutting down.

Rob, total horn length is 6.375 inches With the throat adapters. The compression drivers I have are 435Be's, however I do not believe in this application there would be any difference in performance from the 2435 jobs. There are currently no network changes other than potentiometer attenuation of minus three decibels. I want to run impedance plot on the 2421B's against the 435Be's so I can try to understand what's going on. Regardless they sound fabulous!
They blend seamlessly with the enthusiastic 077 and offer better sound presents/projection. Imaging is better then any system I have heard to date. If I recall correctly Giskard ran some of subWoofs short horns with acceptable results for this type of application/crossover points.
NZ.

Robh3606
02-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks

Ian Mackenzie
02-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Thats enjouraging .

Ian

Ducatista47
02-10-2008, 01:36 AM
I am sure I recall seeing those the I was over there.

I'd be surprised if it was not the same pair.

What do you think Clark?

Nice score.

Something like the sweet unit on the left? Behind the little bitty 4344? Perhaps exactly like it? Nice score indeed.

Interesting crew, that.
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=27864&stc=1&d=1189037696

Ian Mackenzie
02-10-2008, 03:27 AM
Clark,

Crop the Fíng pics to whats relevent please...for christs sake!!

At least this thread is not about a Yank messing with a Pom's Hifi...thats looking for trouble....geees.

I am going to pull the plug out of the wall.....

iMac

boputnam
02-10-2008, 04:20 AM
At least this thread is not about a Yank messing with a Pom's Hifi...thats looking for trouble....Only as requested and with settings optional. I only do what's right! :)

And Clark, I like that picture, although I wonder why there are no smiles - I'd be crazy grinning!

Ducatista47
02-10-2008, 08:48 AM
And Clark, I like that picture, although I wonder why there are no smiles - I'd be crazy grinning!
Hi, Bo! From my report:
"I should point out that the photograph Rick posted looks a little dire and stiff because it was a five second time exposure. Imagine posing for a Daguerreotype and you see the situation. With no antique neck braces available, we had to settle into the best lean and most neutral expressions we could muster. At no other time were we less than totally animated with the excitement of the day."

I think Ian mistakenly thinks he looks as used up as the wizened yet pot bellied old fart with the bad knees on the right.

Clark

saeman
02-10-2008, 09:26 AM
So that everyone is not stabbing in the dark about the New 4345 purchase by NEW ZENITH here's a brief history of my Black Ash Baffle 4345 adventures.

Pair #1 pictured in my 4345 thread earlier in the forum and also in pics taken while Ian and Clark visited. Currently stored and waiting for woofers to come back from recone.

Pair #2 - sold without components but complete with grilles, repro foil cals and wood lenses (a lighter finished pair than those on my 4345's). Now populated and in the home of NEW ZENITH.

Pair #3 - built for former forum member (my mistake) and intended to be sold empty (same as pair #2). Buyer weenied out after their completion so I populated them and offered them for sale in the Marketplace a few months back, along with some other surplus I had at the time. They were also sold with a pair of the wonderful wood lenses from Japan. This pair is now residing in France.

Pair #4 - Currently sitting in my shop in pieces until I get them finished.

All of these cabinets surely look alike from a distance but if you take a close look at the veneer and trim you will see that they are in fact all unique in some way.

The black ash 4345 project went further than I had planned but the remaining pair will be my last. I like the effect so much that I started a mirror imaged pair of 4315's that I hope to complete this spring - 121H's and 112H's freshly reconed, with 2301/2410 to replace the 2105H's and 2405's on top - hopefully with dedicated CC networks. The 4315's have always been a favorite of mine and I'm hoping to make this new pair an improvement. I'm thinking of calling them 4315C's.

Rick

Ian Mackenzie
02-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks fo the clarification,

I still want that pic edited. I hate fomal pic like that....I'd rather go fart in th corner!

...I look really stuffed....I supose I had every right to be.

Rick..you look way too serious...I recall we had a few at that point and it took several goes at taking that pic...LOL

Robh3606
02-10-2008, 01:51 PM
121H's and 112H's freshly reconed, with 2301/2410 to replace the 2105H's and 2405's on top - hopefully with dedicated CC networks.

That sounds like fun! I was just running 121's, 112's with a 2435 it was nice. I really like that combo of drivers. The 12's and 8's make a great foundation for whatever you want to try up top. Powerful drivers in small boxes they make a great medium sized speaker.

BMWCCA
01-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Pair #2 - sold without components but complete with grilles, repro foil cals and wood lenses (a lighter finished pair than those on my 4345's). Now populated and in the home of NEW ZENITH.After nearly a year, and as an update to this thread, I am pleased to say this pair of Rick's 4345BA reproductions are now sitting comfortably in my van in my driveway. NewZenith and I had an enjoyable evening going over their history and loading them up in CT last night. He couldn't have been nicer, more honest, or better to deal with. People like NewZenith are what make this site and this hobby so much fun. The 4345s arrived "home" just before 7am today. They'll be sitting for some time while I rearrange the entire house for their arrival, unfortunately, but it seemed like an opportunity that was just too good to pass up. Plus today's my birthday. :applaud:

I hesitate to call these "clones", as they are (accurately) described in the "for sale" thread, and prefer to give credit where credit is due and refer to them as Riessen Reproductions. I believe Rick once suggested he should call them something that would include the black-ash customization in the model designation. I can't seem to find it so, until I'm corrected, I'll call them RR 4345BA Ser. No. 002. I know I didn't create them, nor could I have. I know where my talents lie. But I do appreciate the care that their former custodians have lavished upon them. NewZenith was very supportive and took several days to answer all my newb questions, completely, carefully, and so even I could understand. I hope I'm not in over my head and I'll be relying on new friends like NewZenith for advice and guidance while I get these acclimated to their new home.

The craftmanship is——as you've seen previously in this thread——simply amazing. The boxes are incredibly solid . . . and HEAVY!!! The current driver complement has seen some "adjustments" over the last year and is now nearly as-new "original" for a 4345, but retain the CC networks. Maybe some day they'll get some hot-rod-horn-driver up-grades, but for now I'm over my head enough as it is.

From this point forward, I'll probably take any questions to the 4345 Club thread, or other. Even if it is a club that might have me as a member!;)

Thanks to everyone who had a part in my JBL enlightenment, which is now in its fifty-second year. Those would include my Dad who purchased my original 030 57 years ago. My wife who smiled when I gave her a pair of L112s for our first anniversary 26 years ago. T-dome, who made me a believer in the 1990 L-series models. Ian, who called me a "tyre-kicker" every time I'd post about a pair of 4345s for sale. Kip Williams for not selling me his so I could have these. Everyone who has perpetuated the 4345 threads over the years that gave me ample reading and encouragement, including 4313B, Clark, Bo, Rob, Rich, Grumpy, Krunchy, Subwoof, Heather, Invstbiker, Triumph Don, Don M, SPWal, Dave, Zilch, HP, Widget, OpiMax. Don McR, Fred, GT, Rich, Maron, Tom (R.I.P.), JBLCanuck, Steve Gonzales, norealtaent, and Steve H who always rooted for me! And any others I may have left out by mistake. :o:

richluvsound
01-23-2009, 09:56 PM
the first time I heard mine ,my eyes leaked . I hope you cry too !:D

Keep us posted .

Richard

jamdel
01-23-2009, 10:09 PM
the first time I heard mine ,my eyes leaked . I hope you cry too !:D

Keep us posted .

Richard

Same here. Properly matched, the 4345 will really give you a really very mesmerizing effect. They are beautifully listenable, and very much in keeping with the qualities that the Best of JBLs have led me to expect. Matched properly, they are very clear and crisp. Fantastic soundstage, great depth and very tonally neutral. Its is like you can see through the Music !!! http://news.smarthouse.com.au/images/shared/emoticons/star_full.gif http://news.smarthouse.com.au/images/shared/emoticons/star_full.gif http://news.smarthouse.com.au/images/shared/emoticons/star_full.gif http://news.smarthouse.com.au/images/shared/emoticons/star_full.gif http://news.smarthouse.com.au/images/shared/emoticons/star_full.gif :applaud:

opimax
01-24-2009, 05:50 AM
Congratulations! Should be wonderful

Mark

another reason for a listening party :applaud::applaud:

JBLRaiser
01-24-2009, 07:31 AM
After nearly a year, and as an update to this thread, I am pleased to say this pair of Rick's 4345BA reproductions are now sitting comfortably in my van in my driveway. NewZenith and I had an enjoyable evening going over their history and loading them up in CT last night. He couldn't have been nicer, more honest, or better to deal with. People like NewZenith are what make this site and this hobby so much fun. The 4345s arrived "home" just before 7am today. They'll be sitting for some time while I rearrange the entire house for their arrival, unfortunately, but it seemed like an opportunity that was just too good to pass up. Plus today's my birthday. :applaud:

I hesitate to call these "clones", as they are (accurately) described in the "for sale" thread, and prefer to give credit where credit is due and refer to them as Riessen Reproductions. I believe Rick once suggested he should call them something that would include the black-ash customization in the model designation. I can't seem to find it so, until I'm corrected, I'll call them RR 4345BA Ser. No. 002. I know I didn't create them, nor could I have. I know where my talents lie. But I do appreciate the care that their former custodians have lavished upon them. NewZenith was very supportive and took several days to answer all my newb questions, completely, carefully, and so even I could understand. I hope I'm not in over my head and I'll be relying on new friends like NewZenith for advice and guidance while I get these acclimated to their new home.

The craftmanship is——as you've seen previously in this thread——simply amazing. The boxes are incredibly solid . . . and HEAVY!!! The current driver complement has seen some "adjustments" over the last year and is now nearly as-new "original" for a 4345, but retain the CC networks. Maybe some day they'll get some hot-rod-horn-driver up-grades, but for now I'm over my head enough as it is.

From this point forward, I'll probably take any questions to the 4345 Club thread, or other. Even if it is a club that might have me as a member!;)

Thanks to everyone who had a part in my JBL enlightenment, which is now in its fifty-second year. Those would include my Dad who purchased my original 030 57 years ago. My wife who smiled when I gave her a pair of L112s for our first anniversary 26 years ago. T-dome, who made me a believer in the 1990 L-series models. Ian, who called me a "tyre-kicker" every time I'd post about a pair of 4345s for sale. Kip Williams for not selling me his so I could have these. Everyone who has perpetuated the 4345 threads over the years that gave me ample reading and encouragement, including 4313B, Clark, Bo, Rob, Rich, Grumpy, Krunchy, Subwoof, Heather, Invstbiker, Triumph Don, Don M, SPWal, Dave, Zilch, HP, Widget, OpiMax. Don McR, Fred, GT, Rich, Maron, Tom (R.I.P.), JBLCanuck, Steve Gonzales, norealtaent, and Steve H who always rooted for me! And any others I may have left out by mistake. :o:

at the Academy Awards. Yes, we like you, we really like you.:D

BMWCCA
01-24-2009, 07:53 AM
A Sally Field moment at the Academy Awards. Yes, we like you, we really like you.:D;) Well, after years playing out my personal quest for more-and-better JBL speakers in this public forum, including the hits and misses along the way, I feel like someone who just won a prize that perhaps they don't really deserve. I hope to enjoy them for a long while. Or maybe I'll find they're beyond my ability to manage. Once you step off that slippery slope from unmodified stock systems to DIY there seem to be three groups: Those who couldn't be more satisfied, those who can never be satisfied, and those who give up trying. I'm the third owner of this pair—in maybe three years. That alone gave me pause. Hopefully that's simply indicative of Type-A owners who love the challenge and, once they reach their goal, need another challenge. This thread was titled "4345 Bliss" and that's exactly what I'm looking for.
If I find such bliss, these 4345s aren't going anywhere else! :cheers:

4313B
01-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Grats on your acquisition! :)

Robh3606
01-24-2009, 08:13 AM
So that's where they went! Congratulations I hope you enjoy them.

Rob:applaud:

hjames
01-24-2009, 08:20 AM
;) This thread was titled "4345 Bliss" and that's exactly what I'm looking for.
If I find such bliss, these 4345s aren't going anywhere else! :cheers:
Nah, don't even unpack them - like the L7s, you have to haul them to the next Listening Party ... you don't need them in the house before that, right?
:dj-party:

Just kidding, but congratulations on a FINE birthday present and kudos to you!

So, when are YOU hosting a listening party down your way ...
we can bring you beer and such if you're not the one driving home afterwards!
:cheers:
You've just joined the 4way horn club -
and with such style!!:coolness:

and ... you know its coming, you know what they say ...

:useless:

Fred Sanford
01-24-2009, 08:52 AM
After nearly a year, and as an update to this thread, I am pleased to say this pair of Rick's 4345BA reproductions are now sitting comfortably in my van in my driveway.

<SNIPS>

Dude! I'm sensing a C'Ville trip in my near future...heckuva a birthday present for yourself, you did good.

je

Chas
01-24-2009, 02:15 PM
Congratulations, I guess this is the end of your bottom feeder days. :D
I hope you find they make a marked change in the amount of time spent listening to music.

Welcome to the club.

speakerdave
01-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Nice. They are indeed most enjoyable for listening to music. Congratulations.

4313B
01-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Congratulations, I guess this is the end of your bottom feeder days. :DWhat a total relief that he can remove that tag! :yes:

BMWCCA
01-24-2009, 11:15 PM
What a total relief that he can remove that tag! :yes:I don't know about that. At the price NewHorizon was offering them, I still feel like a bottom-feeder and was quite surprised no one to whom that price would be simply chump-change hadn't already scooped them up. But then as discussed often on this site, this is not the place to sell TOTL stuff at top prices. NewHorizon knew that and really wanted these to go to someone who would appreciate them. Not really sure that's me, yet, but I figured if no one else was going to take him up on his generous offer, I might as well. Plus it was a good way to stimulate a contribution to this fine site! :applaud:

Pictures at this point would be of the inside of a Plymouth mini-van. I have an Ashly XR-1001 on the way. And I don't know how I could spend much more time listening to music and still put food on the table for my family! I suspect the real change will be the quality of the program material I can listen to without hearing how bad it really is.

I really only bought the 4345s so I could tell you all how much better the L7s sound by comparison! ;)

richluvsound
01-25-2009, 03:09 AM
I suspect the real change will be the quality of the program material I can listen to without hearing how bad it really is.

I can't speak for other owners, but they are critical of poor recordings to my ears.

Rich.

TnTn
01-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Congrats on a very fine purchase. From what you wrote, it looks like the 4345's are now "original" so no 435Be's then? If so, that's a bit of a bummer considering that it's one heck of a driver. I thought the 4343 sounds pretty good in stock form and can't imagine how much better it could get with your optimized 4345.

4313B
01-25-2009, 01:37 PM
From what you wrote, it looks like the 4345's are now "original" so no 435Be's then? If so, that's a bit of a bummer considering that it's one heck of a driver.I think putting a 435Be into a 4344 or 4345 is one heck of a waste of a really nice, expensive driver. That's exactly why I nixed the project. The aquaplased 2425H (or 275Nd) is perfectly acceptable and on par with the rest of the system components.

BMWCCA
01-25-2009, 05:26 PM
If so, that's a bit of a bummer considering that it's one heck of a driver. I thought the 4343 sounds pretty good in stock form and can't imagine how much better it could get with your optimized 4345.Yeah, I'll just have to muddle through somehow! :(

NewZenith offered several alternatives, including TAD 2001's. Specific to the JBL Be's, he said the improvement was noticeable but the ratio of cost-to-benefit was subjective; plus it would require modification of the crossovers. It's pay-to-play, the TADs were very expensive, and NZ wasn't recommending either as necessary or even suggesting them as a real improvement. I consider my self damn lucky to have what I do have. Maybe I'll treat myself for my 60th birthday. But until then I plan on enjoying the 4345s the way they are, CC networks et al.

I'm not looking for sympathy. :D Remember, I'm just a "tyre kicker" and a "bottom feeder".
(The actual quotes are slightly more colorful but the moderators previously asked me to remove them. ;) )

Krunchy
01-25-2009, 05:47 PM
I don't know about that. At the price NewHorizon was offering them, I still feel like a bottom-feeder and was quite surprised no one to whom that price would be simply chump-change hadn't already scooped them up. But then as discussed often on this site, this is not the place to sell TOTL stuff at top prices. NewHorizon knew that and really wanted these to go to someone who would appreciate them. Not really sure that's me, yet, but I figured if no one else was going to take him up on his generous offer, I might as well. Plus it was a good way to stimulate a contribution to this fine site!

Congratulations!!!! I know you've had your eye on a pair of these and I am very happy to see that you scored these beauties, I remember when I first saw pictures of Riessen's work I was floored. & dont be surprised no one jumped on em, that just means they were meant to be yours! :D :applaud: :)
Are they in your home yet? Dont let them sit in your ride too long.
You're gonna love the 4345+Ashly combo, so very nice!

I really only bought the 4345s so I could tell you all how much better the L7s sound by comparison! ;)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: A classic JBL is always a classic, regardless of model or price!
(General Disclaimmer: your deffinition & expectations of classic may greatly vary from someone else's):D

Enjoy!

Mr. Widget
01-25-2009, 07:26 PM
I consider my self damn lucky to have what I do have. Getting old sucks in so many ways, however gained maturity does have it's advantages. ;) Congratulations and I hope you enjoy them for many years to come.

NewZenith offered several alternatives, including TAD 2001's. Specific to the JBL Be's, he said the improvement was noticeable but the ratio of cost-to-benefit was subjective; plus it would require modification of the crossovers. It's pay-to-play, the TADs were very expensive, and NZ wasn't recommending either as necessary or even suggesting them as a real improvement.I am not sure what a 2001 sounds like in them, but I did hear a definite improvement with the 2002... was it worth the significant up-charge??? That is for each of us to determine for ourselves. Regardless of that, I'd say you have the right idea... live with them and enjoy them as they are for now... later if you decide to, you can tinker with them.

Widget

Robh3606
01-25-2009, 09:43 PM
But until then I plan on enjoying the 4345s the way they are, CC networks et al.

That's the way to go. Once you get them dialed in I think your are going to be happy with them. I considered screwing around with my 4344 clones but decided to just leave them be. There is too much synergy going on that I felt I would just end up mucking them up or spend too much time trying to get back what I already had. With the Aquaplassed 2425's and the CC networks, that top end can really sound quite nice. So definitely live with them for a while and see what happens.

BMWCCA
01-01-2010, 04:16 PM
You've just joined the 4way horn club -
and with such style!!:coolness:

and ... you know its coming, you know what they say ...

:useless:

I had revived this thread about a year ago to say I was the current owners of the subject 4345s. Today my wife and kids were out of the house and I had the camera out so I took off the cat-protection, removed the grilles, and snapped a quick shot to show how integrated into the "decor" of our little home Robert's 4345s have become. In a house this small every horizontal surface gets used. Even speakers this large have to serve as furniture, especially during the holidays. Don't worry, I had nice bronze-glass tops made to protect them! ;)

Doc Mark
01-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Hi, BMWCCA,

It was fun reading back through this thread again! And, it's wonderful to see your lovely 4345's, looking perfectly at home, at your place! Merry Christmas, indeed!! Thanks for sharing your "new" JBL's with us, and congrats on having scored them. As has already been said, they were meant to be yours, Sir!! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc (still "limping along" with the L300 3-ways, but now "thinking" about a 4-way!);):D

BMWCCA
01-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Thanks Doc. They got more respect their first Christmas with us than the JBLs they replaced. The old 030s used to get turned to the wall and completely covered by the tree. I insisted on a smaller tree this year so as not to encroach on the 4345's territory.

In about three weeks they will have been with us for a year, and a constant source of enjoyment for the whole family. The kids would never give up their iPods but they also know what recordings are supposed to sound like, and they appreciate the difference. I'm happy to be able to pass that along to another generation.

demon
01-01-2010, 05:02 PM
good sound is a great gift for everyone. and everyday -so merry christmas to you every time you turn them on!!

your christmas-setup looks cozy btw., and somehow european to me. but i dont know what xmas normally looks like in the states, so...

cheers,
mikey

hjames
01-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Sounds like you've had a wonderful year with those gorgeous big speakers!
So cool you found them and found a great place for them in your home ...
Have a great rest of the New Year weekend!

I insisted on a smaller tree this year so as not to encroach on the 4345's territory.

In about three weeks they will have been with us for a year, and a constant source of enjoyment for the whole family. The kids would never give up their iPods but they also know what recordings are supposed to sound like, and they appreciate the difference. I'm happy to be able to pass that along to another generation.