PDA

View Full Version : Resurrecting JBL 4343's

overton
02-06-2008, 09:47 PM
I have a pair of 4343 that I have owned for years. I'm toying with the idea of getting them back in shape and would like you opinions. Take a look at the pictures and let me know if you think the drivers will need to be re-coned or just new foam. Not sure about any of this since I'm not well versed on the subject. It may not be worth doing at all but from what I'm reading, it sound like the 4343 are well respected. There's a place in Missouri that can do the work and I'm in Iowa so it's not too far away.

Thanks
Greg

Ian Mackenzie
02-07-2008, 01:28 AM
I guess it depends on whether you have money to spend and if you seriously intend to spend time listening to them?

I sense you do but if you don't stick it on Ebay.

When was the last time they were used?

The short answer .......

The woofer is seriously rooted and needs to be reconed.

Dont waste time thinking about refoaming it, the suspension to most likely gone.

As to the 2121 I dont think the recone kit is available. Check with a reputable JBL reconer. Some people have refoamed them but its not for the faint hearted. Either that or get a pair of E110's off Ebay and have gaps clean out properly and them reconed as 2122H drivers..and install an equivalent charged coupled network, then biamp.....a far better investment if you intend keeping them for serious listening.

There are numerous threads on the topic of renovating this particular model and upgrading. They are a fun system and used within their limitation can be a source of long term enjoyment.

If you are interested in doing them up I would definately approach the place in Missouri and see what they have to say.

That would be the 1st step then get the compression driver checked out and a new diaphragm as required.Then look at the crossover and the cabinet. This could be a program of progressive restoration over say 12-18 months.

In the end you will have a quite a good loudspeaker and better than most people could afford to buy new off the shelf.

A lot of people agonise over all this and penny pinch over it and screw around after asking detailed advice because their intentions are not always clear as to whether they intend get some real use out of them, worry about their resale value as a collectors item? or to flog them off on Ebay in working order for a fast buck and disappear off the forums.

I am only interested in assisting the former after about 100 enquiries hence my reply is perhaps short and to the point.

Rolf
02-07-2008, 06:19 AM
As Ian says: Re-cone. I wonder if Guido may have a set for the 2121?

Guido?

overton
02-07-2008, 07:37 AM
I appreciate your response. at $200 per speak to recone this is an $800 bill for the 4 speakers minimum, I don't know what the diaphragms might cost on top of that, I was hoping not to get into the crossover. I used the speakers just a few week ago but the rattling paper was quite annoying. I have never biamp'd them. I just drove them with an Audio Research amp and pre amp. I could biamp them I guess but I have two shortcomings. A.) I'm 52 and spent many nights as a youth playing in rock bands so my ears need to be re-coned too. B.) I ditched my turntable in 1985 and I'm not sure I'm going to own anything better then a CD player or an ipod as a source. My old Nakamichi 550 is probably better than either of these. I do have 2 sons and I think if I do this, they will be the benefactors. The place that I found comes highly recommended. www.jbl-speaker.com.

I guess it depends on whether you have money to spend and if you seriously intend to spend time listening to them?

I sense you do but if you don't stick it on Ebay.

When was the last time they were used?

The short answer .......

The woofer is seriously rooted and needs to be reconed.

Dont waste time thinking about refoaming it, the suspension to most likely gone.

As to the 2121 I dont think the recone kit is available. Check with a reputable JBL reconer. Some people have refoamed them but its not for the faint hearted. Either that or get a pair of E110's off Ebay and have gaps clean out properly and them reconed as 2122H drivers..and install an equivalent charged coupled network, then biamp.....a far better investment if you intend keeping them for serious listening.

There are numerous threads on the topic of renovating this particular model and upgrading. They are a fun system and used within their limitation can be a source of long term enjoyment.

If you are interested in doing them up I would definately approach the place in Missouri and see what they have to say.

That would be the 1st step then get the compression driver checked out and a new diaphragm as required.Then look at the crossover and the cabinet. This could be a program of progressive restoration over say 12-18 months.

In the end you will have a quite a good loudspeaker and better than most people could afford to buy new off the shelf.

A lot of people agonise over all this and penny pinch over it and screw around after asking detailed advice because their intentions are not always clear as to whether they intend get some real use out of them, worry about their resale value as a collectors item? or to flog them off on Ebay in working order for a fast buck and disappear off the forums.

I am only interested in assisting the former after about 100 enquiries hence my reply is perhaps short and to the point.

johnaec
02-07-2008, 07:44 AM
If you feel you can't afford full recones right now, there's nothing to be lost in trying refoams only. If you try this, be sure the surrounds are correctly glued to the back side of the cones.

If this doesn't work out, you're only out a few dollars, and you can still get them reconed...

John

Fangio
02-07-2008, 08:25 AM
If you feel you can't afford full recones right now, there's nothing to be lost in trying refoams only.

If you try this, be sure the surrounds are correctly glued to the back side of the cones.

If this doesn't work out, you're only out a few dollars, and you can still get them reconed...

Yes, YES! and :yes: – IMHO the route that John suggested has the correct order for your situation.

overton
02-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Can I assume if I choose not to biamp, I need not be concerned with the crossover? If I were to biamp, what is likely in need of attention with the 30 year old crossover. I didn't think it had any parts that would really wear out but I'm probably dead wrong in that assumption. These 4343's came out of a studio in the 80's s they were probably used quite often early in their life.

Fangio
02-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Not to bi-amp just means you will not exploit their full potential.

Ian Mackenzie
02-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Apparently.

Greg,

I assure your ears will appreciate the experience and you will enjoy the journey.

There's no rush.......take your time with it.

You have an AR amp and so on so what are your working main loudspeakers or are they the JBLs?

overton
02-08-2008, 09:32 AM
After a little soul searching, I think it's probably not a good investment for me to refurbish these 4343's. I can't hear all the detail they are capable of producing and my kids could give a rip about having them. The world has changed, audio has changed and I think I'm probably going to bail and try to sell them locally since I really don't want to deal with shipping them.

I love forums of knowledgeable people and if any of you audiophiles every want to restore an old Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Let me know. I've done 50 of them!

Thanks for all the great advice.