PDA

View Full Version : The Bill Charlap Trio

Ducatista47
02-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Some good friends and I ventured from Peoria to Bloomington last night to attend the annual WGLT Jazz Masters concert. We were so blown away I could not describe it without writing a lengthly review.

If you like jazz at all, if you are even thinking of hearing a piano trio in your lifetime, catch this one live. It is rather unlikely you will hear anything better in this genre, ever.

I don't know if their CD's capture them well, but I'm going to find out as soon as I can. After last night they will be sucked out for eighty miles around, so I will have to order some. They quickly ran out at the venue.

Bill Evans is long gone, but we have these guys now. As a trio, Evans never had an outfit nearly this good. They are all masters, they all get it, and most rarely they all feel it, all the time. Whew! They are so great as players, after ten years together they still listen to each other play to get off on it, not just to keep up and know when to come in. I mean every second.

I don't mean to confuse here. As for Mr. Charlap as a player, he doesn't sound anything like Bill Evans; he is his own man. Slow or fast, he is fully as intense, at least, as Bill Evans was. That you gotta hear!

Clark in Peoria

Krunchy
02-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Bill Evans is long gone, but we have these guys now. As a trio, Evans never had an outfit nearly this good. They are all masters.
I don't mean to confuse here. As for Mr. Charlap as a player, he doesn't sound anything like Bill Evans; he is his own man. Slow or fast, he is fully as intense, at least, as Bill Evans was. That you gotta hear!
You got my attention, that sounds like a very interesting trio, they must be really good even if you are just remotely comparing them to the Bill Evans trio with Scott LaFaro & Paul Motian, thats quite a comparison. Let us know what you think of the CD's once you get a chance to listen to them. I have not gone to see live music in a while but will keep an "ear" out for these guys.

Hoerninger
02-03-2008, 11:21 AM
Thank you for the tipp.
Remembering I once followed your recommendation without remorse (?) I looked up for The Bill Charlap Trio at Amazon.de and found some listing but without reviews. At Amazon.com there was more to find. One reviewer said "when they play together their rapport is so strong that each seems to bring out the best in the others". So I am very interested to hear whether a CD can capture them well.

Ducatista47
02-04-2008, 03:18 AM
I can only hope the cd's can present the dynamic range of this group's live performance. Here is a Youtube number that captures about three percent of the information I could hear live, but still worth a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Og-DP_kaAg

The group is, as the hostess said, "So tight you could bounce a quarter off them," but the playing seemed loose. We noticed right away that the bass player was a monster. By a minute into the second number, we were made aware that all three were. Yet with each passing moment we were more impressed than the last, and happier, and even more thrilled and amazed. For the whole 90 non stop minutes. The drummer played very subtly, until he would throw an incredibly loud move that nevertheless completely made sense and fit in. He had the fastest, loudest-ending press roll I ever heard. Yet he would play like a ghost, too.

Everyone was so great we couldn't wait for the next solo, including drum and bass. Take away 90% of the drummer's dynamics - two brushes in hand - and it didn't matter. The solo would still kill.

We were dying and crying and grinning and loving every moment.

Clark

Krunchy
02-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Thank you for the video Mr.Clark. I will make it a point to go and see these guys, you dont see that kind of jazz too often these days. They are going to be here in NY at Lincoln Center in may and at the Village Vanguard in October...time to score some tickets.
That lineup better not change!

heres a link to further tour dates....
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/tour/tour_results.jsp?dateSrch=fieldsrch&act=Bill%20Charlap%20Trio&rqType=flt

Ducatista47
02-04-2008, 09:52 AM
That lineup better not change!

There has been a change. Those are the men I saw, but they look older than that so I assume the video is not recent. The change is - they play better now. Also, their mellow is more mellow and their intense is more intense. :)

Since they've been together ten years or more, unless someone gets sick or dies that is the group you will see.

Clark

Edit: The performance was probably from September 2003. It looks like the date of their 2007 release Live At The Village Vanguard.

hjames
02-04-2008, 10:02 AM
There has been a change. Those are the men I saw, but they look older than that so I assume the video is not recent. The change is - they play better now. Also, their mellow is more mellow and their intense is more intense. :)

Since they've been together ten years or more, unless someone gets sick or dies that is the group you will see.

Clark

Well, if anyone hears they are headed down my way (DC area), please, let me know! They'd probably be great at The Birchmere (http://www.birchmere.com/calendar/calendar_list.cfm), but so far ... no word.

Krunchy
02-04-2008, 10:23 AM
There has been a change. The change is - they play better now. Clark
You scared me there for a moment :D They'll be in town for quite a few dates so I am really looking forward to seeing them ;)

rs237
02-24-2008, 01:57 AM
Hello Mr.Clark,

I get the CD yesterday. Wonderful music. Thanks for the tip.

regards

juergen

ps My Hartfields loves them

Ducatista47
02-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Peter Washington, will be seeing him at Basies coca-cola cafe in Lincoln Center in May, yes :bouncy: yes :bouncy: YES :bouncy: really looking forward to it but dont want to rush things :)
Got one of the Trio's cds and been listening to is, very nice! Read somewhere that the trio should be renamed for they are all very talented (as you mentioned in your original post) and its almost unfair to call it the Bill Charlap Trio. That drummer is so hot too, reminds me of art Blakey a little, not necessarily his style but something else, looks, aura, who knows.Krunchy, Blakey was known for his use of the press roll. That is one thing that would remind you of him when listening to Kenny Washington. But yes, I too think there is more there.

Jurgen & Krunchy, I'm glad you like the recordings. What CD's did you get? I must report that to my surprise I walked into the local Barnes & Noble store and had my choice of about eight Bill Charlap Cd's. I picked the ones that were all or mostly the trio and got very lucky. All four are all great.

Stardust All Hoagy Carmichael tunes. There are some vocal guests, including a masterwork with Tony Bennett, and guest appearances by Jim Hall and Frank Wess.

The 2003 gig Live At The Village Vanguard, I presume the one you both most likely have.

Somewhere (The Songs Of Leonard Bernstein)

Written In The Stars Older, 2000, but really cool.

I still have to say that this group is even better live. The next Cd released, if newer recordings, should be the best of all. They keep getting better.

Clark

Hoerninger
02-25-2008, 12:10 PM
In the meantime I have bought "Live at the Village Vanguard".
Yes, it is fine music.

Krunchy
03-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Hi Clark!
Was just looking at the liner notes on everyhing must go cd by steely dan &, there's Bill, making cameos with the boys, featured on two songs...Godwhacker & Pixeleen. You know you're in when those guys ask you to join in. Fun little footnote :)

Siding with Hoeringer on "Live at the village vanguard" cd, excellent!

Ducatista47
03-10-2008, 07:49 PM
I am so happy you fellows like this group. I am in a bit of a drought right now. I loaned my four Cd's to a friend to listen to.

He was with me at the concert and has begun a collection of Japanese Cd's of Bill Charlap, Obi and all. He gets them from Japan and a dealer in China. His first one he bought from Mr. Charlap himself after the gig. They ran out of the new recording and he offered this one Cd, the only one left, with the words, "You can't get that one here in the US." It was a a date in America recorded by Japanese and American engineers, subsequently released in Japan. Bill with different sidemen.

Before he borrowed my Cd's, I was getting high on Stardust in particular.

I am finding that Japan is crazy for really good music and will go to extraordinary lengths to get it. If it is not available they will record it themselves, and their results are first rate in sound quality. Their Cd's actually sound great. Look for the Obi! :) I find it comforting that all the great audio equipment going to the Far East is playing wonderful music. I had a suspicion that the JBL hoarding was not so they could play Madonna.

So, Krunchy, when do you get to hear them live? In May?

Clark

Krunchy
03-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Without a doubt, this wonderful forum is great for everything JBL, but I also get a lot of enjoyment from all the great music that I am being exposed/made aware of as well. :) A day in May my friend, last saturday in, got reservations for four, taking the wife, her dad & brother, they all like jazz. Her dad did not think that we could get reservations & was very happy to hear that we indeed got them. Should be a great evening. I'm also going to try and catch them at the village vanguard with some of my old school friends (boys night out) thats definitely going to be fun :D , thats in June I believe. Last I checked VV did'nt have any dates listed for them. Will give a full report of the festivities.

Thank you ;)

doodlebug
03-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Bill Charlap is, indeed, one of my favorite jazz guys these days. He has done a lot of work and touring with Phil Woods across the past decade. I've seen him at work in that band a couple of times and loved it each. The venues were small enough that I was able to chat with Bill briefly and I can report that he's as affable as they come.

Here's a nice quick bio (http://www.managramusic.com/artists/billcharlap/bio.html) on Bill; looks like he grew up around music.

Cheers,

David

Art J.
03-12-2008, 06:18 PM
Nice thread going here. We got to see him at the Litchfield Jazz Fest in 2006 jamming with an
amazing collection of fine musicians including Renee Rosnes. (Pics below).
Not to take away from anything, our all time favorite piano man is Denny Zeitlin who appeared
at the 2005 fest and completely mesmerized everyone. A great yearly event for us.

http://www.litchfieldjazzfest.com/jazzfest_gallery.htm (http://www.litchfieldjazzfest.com/jazzfest_gallery.htm)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aew2vfOVaQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aew2vfOVaQ)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMf-Ztg0GYM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMf-Ztg0GYM)

Steve K
04-28-2008, 09:52 AM
If you people in the States would like to sample some Japanese high quality jazz recordings, you might want to try http://www.eastwindimport.com/

But beware, they're pricey by US standards. However, you won't be paying any more than we do here in Japan for the same stuff.

Steve K
from Tokyo

stephane RAME
04-28-2008, 01:16 PM
http://www.jpophelp.com/

Ducatista47
04-28-2008, 10:01 PM
If you people in the States would like to sample some Japanese high quality jazz recordings, you might want to try http://www.eastwindimport.com/

But beware, they're pricey by US standards. However, you won't be paying any more than we do here in Japan for the same stuff.

Steve K
from Tokyo

I second that. I purchased the Sonny Rollins In Japan XRCD24 at my local audio shop (and some classic Miles Davis XRCD's as well. Great recordings, great music, same price. They do not carry these discs any more and it is nice to have sources again. Thank You gentlemen!

The XRCD This Is Always by Eden Atwood sounds like a winner for fans of Diana Krall type Jazz. Never heard of her before. And I thought I was long over mellow singers.

Thank goodness the Japanese market exists.

Clark in Peoria

Ducatista47
06-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Krunchy, were you able to make it to the Lincoln Center gig?

Clark

Krunchy
06-15-2008, 06:53 AM
Hi Clark! I'm listening to Stardust right now and I am saddened to report that I did not make it to the gigs :( :( :(, through a series of events that culminated with the kids both getting pretty sick (had been for a couple of days prior to it) I had to bail out, my father in-law and brother in-law went though and said it was a really good show,
I did not want to hear about it :D
I really wanted to see them in that venue too, but I have a feeling they'll be there again in the not too distant future (hopefully) :) They're pretty hot right now so I should get another shot at them.

I thought they were appearing (in june) at the legendary Blue Note Jazz club here in manhattan but maybe the dates were changed or cancelled.

Their recordings will have to do till the next time they're in town ;).

Robh3606
06-15-2008, 09:39 AM
I just saw them on Friday night. They opened for Steely Dan at the Beacon. Great show all around.

Rob:)

Krunchy
06-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Nice combination Rob :applaud:, that must have been a lot of fun, the Beacon is another great venue in the city, not too big.
How long was Bill & co. on for?

Ducatista47
06-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Krunchy, so sorry your children were ill. I hope they came through all right. In any case, happy Father's Day! Thank you for the report.

Rob, did they seem to be in good form? And how were the old men who headlined? Did the trio get to do their customary uninterrupted ninety minute set?

Clark

Krunchy
06-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Hi Clark,
Thank you for the kind wishes, they're both fine, when they both get hit it can be quite intersting to say the least. My wife's mom & sister were not around that weekend (really unusual :D) which compounded everything, such is life.
Thank you for the father's day wishes as well, if you have kids I hope you had a nice father's day as well.

I'm going to keep an eye out for them, I would not be surprised if they announced some dates for the fall, that is a particularly good time in NY and a lot of music seems to make its way here.

Fred